Is this a scam? Forklift Question for staff....

/ Forklift Question for staff.... #1  

BlainePurdum

Tractor
Cabela's Rops LM35 WLM Tractor
I need to get some Warehouse members certified to operate a forklift. I'm read some conflicting things. Does anyone know how much it costs to get a forklift certification?

/ Forklift Question for staff.... #2  
We have an internal certification but nothing is sent into the state for official certification. I work at a large automotive parts supplier with a 400,000 ft^2 warehouse.

/ Forklift Question for staff.... #3  
Check with your lift truck dealer or maybe the state OSH people. Of course in Chicago, it's prolly much more complicated than that.

/ Forklift Question for staff.... #4  
Call the dealer. They will have the info needed and probably have someone who can come out and train a couple people that will then be "certified trainers" and they will be able to train anyone else you need trained.

/ Forklift Question for staff.... #5  
A dealer rep may come out or a training video should be easy to find. There is no "official" certification required, but OSHA would like to see a training program in place, it's all about documenting training, and maintenance of the equipment. A safety checklist needs to be filled out every day the forklift is used. Check with your insurance company to see if they recommend a safety program.

/ Forklift Question for staff....
Thanks everyone. I did a little more google searching and came across this page with a ton of links (Forklift Accessories | Forklift How-To Articles & Guides) that gave me some good info I also researched. It definitely seems like the price can vary quite a bit so it's tough to get a straight answer overall and I'll have to go with the best recommendation here in state.

/ Forklift Question for staff.... #7  
Maybe ask your business insurance agent if there is one that they prefer, from a cya standpoint.

/ Forklift Question for staff.... #8  
It seems there is someone around to certify anyone to do anything anymore. When I was a kid in HS I had a summer job driving forklifts and high risers. My training was, this lever does this and that lever does that. Now don't drive too fast and don't be stupid. That was it.
The next summer I drove an 18 wheeler and had just about as much training. The manager drove down the road about 5 miles then slid over and said here now you give it a try. No license, no problem. He told me if I got caught to call them and they'd come bail me out. They just wanted someone cheap and temporary who they could afford to pay to sit around and wait for a load. Before I hit the road I did practice backing up to the dock a few times.
Times sure have changed.