Comparison LS XR4145HC VS Branson 4720CH

/ LS XR4145HC VS Branson 4720CH
- How much of a difference will having the 2 speed PTO make? The Branson has it the LS doesnt. (I cannot predict yet what all implements I will end up using besides the brush hog and havent thought that far ahead.)

- Regarding the Branson, the Simple Tier 4 strategy; large catalytic converter (DOC) vs smaller DOC w/ regeneration cycles, will this make the probability of having expensive repairs down the road less likely and will it be possible to perhaps "modify" things more easily if a person wanted to do that type of thing.

/ LS XR4145HC VS Branson 4720CH #12  
- How much of a difference will having the 2 speed PTO make? The Branson has it the LS doesnt. (I cannot predict yet what all implements I will end up using besides the brush hog and havent thought that far ahead.)

- Regarding the Branson, the Simple Tier 4 strategy; large catalytic converter (DOC) vs smaller DOC w/ regeneration cycles, will this make the probability of having expensive repairs down the road less likely and will it be possible to perhaps "modify" things more easily if a person wanted to do that type of thing.

My 6530 has 3 which, at the 2600 rpm rating for my engine are 540, 750, and 960 (substitute for 1000 of yesteryear).

Most implements of today run off 540 so a single 540 pto would do for most normal chores.

However if you have a really light load and want to save fuel and get the job done sooner, the 760 would be the thing...assuming the engine rpms didn't drop excessively in the process. I use 100 rpm on a 2600 rpm engine for my don't go below when considering lugging or not. The 1000 rpm is for special purpose implements. To name one, a belt driven hammer mill like you would use to grind corn or chop stalks.

So looks like a simpler Tier IV may be your only advantage in that arena. Buttttttt

/ LS XR4145HC VS Branson 4720CH #13  
The Branson has mechanical fuel injection that isn't tied to a computer. The DOC has a computer module to monitor it. As far as I know, the only electronically controlled aspect of the engine is the electronic fuel cutoff. I'm not sure if the DOC computer would lock-out the fuel if it was angry for some reason.

I'm not sure how the whole eCRDI thing works with the DOC. One of the things that scared me away from the electronic injection was that I was unsure if all manufactures used a common language (OBDII or something), or a one-off proprietary language. I have an old grey market Iseki (Bowlens) that I've had a problem getting parts and service for so that factored into my decision. That being said, of all the automobiles that I have owned over the years, I don't think I have ever had a problem with the electronic fuel injection systems, so worrying about the eCRDI may be foolish on my part.

Some of the John Deere's have the two speed PTO and they market it as a fuel savings measure, as TexasMark said.

One thing the LS has that the US Branson does not have is draft control. I believe it is to auto-regulate the depth of an implement such as a plow so it will keep it at a consistent depth when the plow wants to dig in deeper.

/ LS XR4145HC VS Branson 4720CH #14  
One thing the LS has that the US Branson does not have is draft control. I believe it is to auto-regulate the depth of an implement such as a plow so it will keep it at a consistent depth when the plow wants to dig in deeper.

Harry Ferguson's 3 point system, which was the hallmark of the systems for eons, used the draft control (function) to keep the tractor from being pulled over backwards upon striking an immovable or overly heavy object. Additionally it helped to maintain plowing depth, as you said, when it wants to dig in deeper it backs off the pressure, lifting up the implmement somewhat, allowing the tractor to resume it's work.

My 6530 has that function, lever controlled, just like in the old days. It mimics the Ferguson system in that there is a pressure sensor on the third member that activates the action when pressed on by the obstruction pushing against the 3rd member. The control lever in the cab determines at what pressure the lift releases (backs off) and helps to set the depth in the first place. My 2400 doesn't have it.

/ LS XR4145HC VS Branson 4720CH #15  
My 6530 has 3 which, at the 2600 rpm rating for my engine are 540, 750, and 960 (substitute for 1000 of yesteryear).

1000 RPM speed for PTO implements is certainly not of yesteryear. Lots and lots of larger implements run at 1000 RPM. Mostly you see it in ag applications, such as hay balers. 1000 RPMs became popular as a PTO speed sometime after 1960 because you can transmit twice the horsepower through the same size shaft by increasing the speed. Many tractors produced in the last 60 years had two different PTO shafts coming out the rear, a regular 540 shaft and a fine tooth 1000 RPM shaft.

/ LS XR4145HC VS Branson 4720CH #16  
1000 RPM speed for PTO implements is certainly not of yesteryear. Lots and lots of larger implements run at 1000 RPM. Mostly you see it in ag applications, such as hay balers. 1000 RPMs became popular as a PTO speed sometime after 1960 because you can transmit twice the horsepower through the same size shaft by increasing the speed. Many tractors produced in the last 60 years had two different PTO shafts coming out the rear, a regular 540 shaft and a fine tooth 1000 RPM shaft.

Yeah that's true; good point. I just recall running a hammer mill from a 20' belt off an old JD B popper, grinding corn stalks......get that sucker whining and the belt whizzing and dump in half a dozen full stalks and listen to her munch on them; give her time to build back up and hit it again.

When I had my JD 4020 ('69 as I recall), I'd put in the 1000 spindle and run an 8' dual blade Mohawk mower/shredder with it in a high gear and half PTO rpms to save gas and time. Also noticed on the 375 JD baler warning label that it says to use 540 indicating otherwise possibility surely for the reason you mentioned.

I guess that's why my little 2400 has 2 speeds on the bottom end of the Branson tractor chain. Some people use it.

Thanks,
Mark

/ LS XR4145HC VS Branson 4720CH #17  
the company that makes branson tractors have been making tractors since 1948 i don't think you have to worry about them going out
the kukye machinery company is pretty solid company

/ LS XR4145HC VS Branson 4720CH
Thanks Everyone! Important question: Regarding Width as measured from outside edge to outside edge of back tires - This is huge for me, since I need it as wide as possible. Can someone tell me the measurement of their LS XR41xx with R4's and could someone tell me the same measurement for the Branson 4720 with R4's?

I understand the LS with R4's is not adjustable and the Branson is. This may tip it in favor of the Branson if the Branson at its widest setting is gonna be quite a bit wider/more stable. Really love this site and all yall's comments.

/ LS XR4145HC VS Branson 4720CH #19  
Thanks Everyone! Important question: Regarding Width as measured from outside edge to outside edge of back tires - This is huge for me, since I need it as wide as possible. Can someone tell me the measurement of their LS XR41xx with R4's and could someone tell me the same measurement for the Branson 4720 with R4's?

I understand the LS with R4's is not adjustable and the Branson is. This may tip it in favor of the Branson if the Branson at its widest setting is gonna be quite a bit wider/more stable. Really love this site and all yall's comments.
here's an option: have the dealer order the rims that would come on the R1 rears. Then, have 14.9x24 R4's installed. That way, you'll have the adjustable rims.

/ LS XR4145HC VS Branson 4720CH #20  
My XR4155HC with R4's at 9psi is 70 inches wide. That includes the bulge of the tire. No load on the FEL or rear lift. No fluid in tires.