Looking for tractor to maintain 8.5 acres in NH

/ Looking for tractor to maintain 8.5 acres in NH #1  

pedzola

Tractor
n/a
I am new here, first post.

Building a home in southern New Hampshire, and looking for something to help maintain the property. ~8.5 acres with about 5 being woods. The rest will be mostly lawn. ~600 foot long straight gravel driveway. Whole lot is very flat.

Mowing and snow removal are 2 primary concerns. Will have some landscaping projects in the near term as well. Installing a patio and moving some dirt piles are the 2 that come to mind.

Before I even share what I've been considering or budget, I'd like to hear other opinions. What would you be looking for in a machine for these tasks?

I have at least a couple months to make a decision. Probably purchase in May or June. I currently have zero experience with tractors apart from some online research.

Thanks!

/ Looking for tractor to maintain 8.5 acres in NH #2  
A compact utility for sure. B series Kubota or other brand equivalent. Color dependent on what local dealers are available and budget.

Front end loader and three point hitch for sure. Mower could be mid-mount or rear. I lean more towards the rear finish mower as it's easily removable and doesn't affect ground clearance.

4 wheel drive is another must. CUT's (compact utility tractors) don't weigh much compared to full size tractors and traction is always an issue.

Something in the 20-30 horsepower range unless you plan on working in the woods a lot. If you're thinking about logging or producing your own firewood, a bit more horsepower might be in order.

I'd recommend a hydrostatic transmission for it's ease of use and versatility.

With the acreage you list, I don't know that I'd be happy with a sub-compact like the Kubota BX series, but I know a lot of folks are impressed with their capabilities. It would be just the ticket for mowing large areas, but might be a little undersized for other tasks. No direct experience with them so I could be all wet.

/ Looking for tractor to maintain 8.5 acres in NH #3  
In my opinion, it depends on if you're trying to do anything in the woods. If yes, I'd go with a L2501-3901 series Kubota (or different brand in an equivalent size) and get a rear finish mower for the mowing. Snow removal could be done with a back blade, a SSQA plow blade, ora rear mounted blower depending on your budget.

If you won't be working in the woods much, a B with a cab, a mid-mount mower (or rear finish mower) and a front mount snowblower seems like it would be a sweet setup.

/ Looking for tractor to maintain 8.5 acres in NH #4  
Sub-compact tractors, such as the Kubota 'BX' line have only 9" ground clearance, so they are not very suitable for woods work where the ground is rough and where you will be driving over downed timber debris.

I agree with PHPAUL and MOTOWNBROWNE on good sizes for what you have described. All have >12" ground clearance. When in doubt, buy a little more tractor than you think you need, rather than less tractor. I bought two, too small, tractors before purchasing the third, finally enough tractor.

Kubota is selling a lot of L2501 tractors to consumers like you. Five foot swathe implements rather than 4 foot swathe implements. Plenty of space around the Three Point Hitch to make attaching implements relatively easy.

Almost all tractors in these sizes are sold with a Front End Loader (FEL), Hydrostatic Transmission (HST) and standard 4-WD.

Skid Steer Quick Attach (SSQA) FEL coupling is necessary for some front mount snow moving equipment and for a grapple.

Last edited:
   / Looking for tractor to maintain 8.5 acres in NH
Thank you for the input! I have read about the importance of a good dealer here so I will certainly be looking for that. I've only made 1 inquiry so far - on an LS XJ2025H. Very hard to find any pricing info online.

I was indeed looking at the sub-compacts, but given the feedback here I will take a 2nd look at the kubota B series. What would be the equivalent Mahindra? Max24/26? Was looking at Emax. Not sure how much I'll be in the woods with the tractor. But cant rule it out. Clearance is always good.

What attracted me to the LS is the additional lift capacity of the loader vs emax/bx. The configuration I'm thinking about is loader, mid mower, and debating on blade vs blower for snow. Not sure what is best for gravel. Driveway is long straight and flat.

Any input on the configuration I should be looking at? Loader seems important, have materials and dirt to move. So that is non-negotiable.

Mid mower or 3pt rear mower? Seems like a mid would be easier to maneuver but the rear easier to attach/detach.

Snowblower vs blade? Rear blower while keeping bucket on the front seems like a versatile setup but a little awkward to drive backwards. What is my cheapest effective option here? Im thinking an angled blade will enable a couple straight runs down the driveway and ill be cleared quick.

Any other attachments I should be looking for?

I have a lot of learning to do. Hoping to keep the whole purchase under $20k. Not sure if this is possible for "compact" tractors. Almost impossible to find real prices online except for others' experience here on the forum.

Will keep reading and appreciate everyones input!

THANKS!

/ Looking for tractor to maintain 8.5 acres in NH #6  
I suggest a Ratchet Rake for your bucket. Useful for landscaping. Sold by the T-B-N store.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ratchet+rake+brush+clearing

When using my Rotary Cutter I usually have the Ratchet Rake mounted on the bucket.

LS makes a very competitive tractors. I hope you have an LS dealer within 25 miles. You will need some help at first.

In terms of MMM Vs. 3-Pt Finish Mower: How many garden beds, how many trees do you have to maneuver around?

MMMs are proprietary to each brand, so they are relatively expensive. You can only sell to a brand compatible customer. MMMs are somewhat more maneuverable than rear mowers. MMMs reduce ground clearance.

Three Point Hitch Finish Mowers have to fit the industry standard hitch so they are considerably more price competitive.

A Zero Turn mower is the best tool for a large, residential lawn. Not anything on a tractor. Not too much price difference between a Zero Turn and a MMM.

If you are retiring, hence older, consider a Grapple.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tractor+grapple

For a Grapple you need SSQA on your FEL plus two rear hydraulic ports. LS deluxe models have two rear remotes standard.

Here are two internet venders I purchase implements from:

(Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) Tractor Attachments

Farm Equipment 24-7.com

I buy Land Pride and Woods implements from my Kubota dealer, a convenient six miles away.

Last edited:
   / Looking for tractor to maintain 8.5 acres in NH #7  
Welcome to TBN, Here is what I would suggest:

30 hp 4x4 compact utility with hydrostatic transmission + 5hp
5' rear finish mower
5' rough cut mower (for acreage, trails, etc.)
5' rear blade (road maintenance, snow removal, etc.)
Turf Tires if mowing lawn
3rd function loader valve if you want to get a grapple

Optional
5' rear mount snowblower

I would not recommend a sub-compact utility tractor

/ Looking for tractor to maintain 8.5 acres in NH
Jeff, great links thank you. There will be few interruptions in my mowing area. A pull-behind mower might be just fine. Appreciate that a zero turn may do a better job, but can't get a second ride-on machine for mowing. Need to do as much w/this machine as possible to justify the "need" to the other half. :D.

I will need to talk to a dealer about what is needed for a grapple on the machine I eventually choose. Some of the piles around the lot include pulled stumps and etc. Will need at least teeth on the bucket and a grapple would prob be useful.

Airbiscuit - thx for the input - can you explain how a rear blade is used for snow? Seems counterintuitive to drive through it first and then plow.

/ Looking for tractor to maintain 8.5 acres in NH #9  
You'll get lots of opinions here and most will be reasonable even though different. Eight acres and general duty tractor work can be managed by anything from a 30-35 hp tractor with ease. Even a 25hp tractor could do the work albeit a tad less efficiently. One reason you'll get lots of opinions is that there are many good tractor brands and virtually all of them produce capable machines in this size range. You'll need to decide how important a convenient dealer is as almost certainly you will find that JD and Kubota dealers are more numerous and well established but are almost always the highest priced by many thousands. Other tractors like NH, Mahindra, LS, Kioti and several others are reliable and just as capable but don't have the dealership network or marketing budget of the big two. Everyone here likes their own tractor brand (which should tell you something).

Regarding grapple: you'll need either to invest in a third function valve, diverter valve or just use rear remotes. Pros and cons to each. Lots and lots written about his on TBN so learn to use the search function. Also, if you will be doing grapple work, look carefully at tractor loader lift capability specs. Compare lift capacity at pivot pins.

/ Looking for tractor to maintain 8.5 acres in NH #10  
My opinion would be that a Kubota B2301 or B2601 would suit you very well. R4 tires (industrial) loaded in the rear (fluid). 5ft 3pth finish mower. Skidsteer quick attach loader (SSQA) with a bucket and brush grapple.
Don't let anyone or anything (like budget) talk you out of HST.
No matter what, any machine will be a compromise in some ways.
To heavy and it will trash your lawn and out price your budget. Too small and it won't do what you hope it will.