Buying Advice Towable Backhoe? From China?

/ Towable Backhoe? From China? #1  

DavHank

Tractor
2004 Kubota B7510
So here's the problem - I own a Kubota B7510 and live in the mountains of North Carolina. We own close to 4 acres of slopping property that leads to a waterfall and there is a lot of work maintaining the streams that lead to the waterfall - leaves, limbs, debris to clear out - nonstop. I have a FEL but, although I have a tractor path, I can't get to much of the property with my tractor and much of it is too steep to work on. I have been considering a backhoe for my Kubota but that leads to a subframe and an expensive attachment and I still couldn't use it in many places I would like to. I've been looking at towable backhoes as a possible solution to a pick and long handled shovel but would love to have one with 4 hydraulic stabilizers like this one:

Brand New Mini Backhoe Mini Excavator Trench Digger Free Shipped by Sea | eBay

Yeah, I know, China - right? But we don't seem to make one. DR makes this one:

14.5 FPT Towable Backhoe | DR Power Equipment

... but no hydraulic stabilizers and a bit more $$

Does anyone have any ideas or advise? Any experience with overseas sales? Thanks in advance.

/ Towable Backhoe? From China? #2  
My concern would be operating it on a slope a stabilizer gets real close to the machine when it's on the down hill side.

/ Towable Backhoe? From China? #3  
why are you so concerned with cleaning the streams out?? The DEP up here would have a field day if you were moving material in a waterway without a permit, and the army corps would likely be after you next.

/ Towable Backhoe? From China? #4  
So here's the problem - I own a Kubota B7510 and live in the mountains of North Carolina. We own close to 4 acres of slopping property that leads to a waterfall and there is a lot of work maintaining the streams that lead to the waterfall - leaves, limbs, debris to clear out - nonstop. I have a FEL but, although I have a tractor path, I can't get to much of the property with my tractor and much of it is too steep to work on. I have been considering a backhoe for my Kubota but that leads to a subframe and an expensive attachment and I still couldn't use it in many places I would like to. I've been looking at towable backhoes as a possible solution to a pick and long handled shovel but would love to have one with 4 hydraulic stabilizers like this one:

Brand New Mini Backhoe Mini Excavator Trench Digger Free Shipped by Sea | eBay

Yeah, I know, China - right? But we don't seem to make one. DR makes this one:

14.5 FPT Towable Backhoe | DR Power Equipment

... but no hydraulic stabilizers and a bit more $$

Does anyone have any ideas or advise? Any experience with overseas sales? Thanks in advance.

Towables, and aftermarket 3 pt. hoes are nothing more than expensive toys.
Don't do it!
Buy a REAL hoe, with sub-frame, that is made by your tractor manufacturer.
Do not waste your money on that towable thingy!
If you can't afford a real hoe, just use a shovel, tone your muscles, and save your money!

/ Towable Backhoe? From China? #6  
I'm somewhere between a towable and a real backhoe with the Terramite T5C. Power/size but it has limitations to offset its pluses.

Note the 'swing arc' of any model you consider, as this can be very important for work other than trenching. T5C swings ~90^ and really won't dig much of a hole since you can't dump very far to the side. DR says ~120^, and the 4-stab import claims ~180^, either of which would add much versatility to what I have, but sacrificed for a compact o/all size. :irked:

O'all weight: Any decent machine can toss itself around, or move easily, by using the stick with a bit of skill. Staying attached to the tow vehicle may be best depending on the chore at hand, but IMO a compromise between maneuverability and stability IMO may favor a towable over even my ~3k lb and ~4' wide self-propelled mini. (backing a vehicle vs a towable into a tight spot?)

As for traveling, I can lay on the ground and roll on my side faster than the T-M can move. There will always be trade-offs on moving or hauling, so short of hanging from a super drone you'd have to have your tasks/locations in mind before you decide.

I'd hate to see a primary tractor limited by adding a BH, as pointed out by the OP, perhaps with a subframe making using a MMM a lot more of a chore. Some counter weight there, but most of the weight is close to the rear axle when tucked away.

Comparing the import to the DR I'd have to lean toward the import with this caveat: I'd rather not depend on dealer service with any brand, so ease of big repairs often favors simplicity of construction and thus ease of repairing/replacing/building bits that break. Other things I like are the 4 stabs for leveling (light duty, not attached), diesel power, and the dumb thumb accessory. I doubt that the engine is model-specific, so there must be replacement parts somewhere if needed. (don't break much stuff here ...:cool:)

HFT and DR don't appear as robust o'all, so I'd look deep into each one's features. Expect to pay dearly to have the Chinese unit shipped from POE to your door, but assuming up to $1K it still looks appealing. tog

/ Towable Backhoe? From China? #7  
I got a harbor freight one given to me. its not fast, but it beats a hand shovel.done a few waterlines with it, it will go down about 6'. dug out a basement door opening on my house,went down about 7 feet ( a little hand digging in to the bucket) out 6 feet from wall.gotta crab it around the yard.no problems with it so far. oh,easy on gas!

/ Towable Backhoe? From China? #8  
I have access to a friend's HFT trencher, it is useful but a bit awkward on uneven terrain, so I would not recommend it for DavHank's use.

/ Towable Backhoe? From China? #9  
I have that exact model from DR. It was a couple years old, but had never been used. The original owner purchased it, started it once, then got sick and passed away. The bucket had never seen dirt. His wife had been trying to sell it for 2 years when I came along. I'd been looking for a sub-frame unit for my GC2300 for a couple of years. I couldn't justify the price for a new one. The DR I picked up for less than 1/2 of a brand new one.

It's been worth EVERY dollar I paid for it.

I had to purchase a new seat and mount (someone stole them while it was chained to a tree outside the original owners home), and I purchased the bucket set for it (it comes with a 12' bucket, the kit has a 9" trenching bucket, a 16" bucket, and a ripper tooth). Because it had been sitting outside for long, I changed both the engine and hydraulic oils. And, because of the layer of sand on top of my hard pan, I added wheels to the front stabilizers to keep it from digging in while moving itself around. The thing has been dead on reliable. Plenty of power (it will drag my FJ Cruiser backwards if I try to take too big a bite). The only issue I've had with it was my own fault, I pinched a hose between the boom and the control tower. I had moved that hose to what I thought was a better position. :/ I also added a small hour meter for the engine.

Converting it from towable to digging mode take all of about 60 seconds. And honestly, it probably wouldn't take that much to convert the outriggers to hydraulic instead of manual.

Yes, it's slower than a 'real' backhoe. I average a 10' length of 6' deep trench an hour using the 9" bucket. But I'd bet $1000, that in my backyard, no one could hand dig that same amount, in that same hour. Actually, I'd bet you couldn't do 10' of 3' deep trench in an hour.... I have some extremely hard ground.

It does take some thought about how to position it for trenching... in my case, it nearly always has to have an anchor vehicle. So you have to plan for how to do corners or T's along the trench. But nothing that can't be overcome. You can set the outriggers to different heights on each side, but my ground is mostly flat. Not sure how effective they'd be on a side hill...

I've done about 900' of water line trench and about 100' of sewer and gas line trenches.

I lube all the pivots and pins before and after every use, and about every 4 hours during use. I have about 95 hours on the unit now, and I do seem to notice a little more wiggle in the swing, but all the rest of the pins seem to be doing well. When changing buckets, I notice very little wear on those pins. I don't remember the name of the grease I'm using, but I got it at a heavy duty supply place, and it is the same stuff they use on big mining equipment. Very extreme pressure stuff, so I'm sure that probably helping things.

I will say that if the unit ever does need repair, there's no rocket science involved. The hose I replaced for about $35 locally. The engine is a Subaru Robin, so just about any small engine shop should be able to fix it or supply parts. The cylinders are welded, but replacements could probably be source via Surplus Center for a reasonable price.

Everyone has opinions..... here's mine about the DR:

The GOOD:
Does the job.
So far it's been reliable.
Plenty of power.
Decent run time for fuel capacity (I usually run about 2/3 throttle)
Better than digging by hand.
Doesn't tie up my tractor while I'm trenching (unless the tractor is the anchor).
Adjustable swing speed (valve under floor plate)
Can be towed to job site. (I had to tow it about 75 miles when I bought it).

The BAD:
Slow. Time I got though.
Takes practice to make combo moves (swing and dipper at the same time for example...)
For me, needs an anchor most of the time.
One more engine to service.
Manual outriggers.
Had to modify the front stabilizers for my soil.
Towing limited to 45mph (but I ran about 55 when I got it, wheel bearings were barely warm when I got home)
It can puke hydraulic oil from the fill cap if you lift the end up too far (mine may be slightly over-filed...)
Limited access to the swing cylinders rear grease fitting (best to pull the floor plate)
Engine is fairly loud..... wear your ear protection!!

Is it the perfect solution? No, not for everyone. But for me, the price was right and it's there when I need it.

To anyone looking at one, I'd say this: Take a good look at your property, your intended uses, and how often you would be really using it. In some cases it might be better to rent a TLB, or to buy a sub-frame unit that fits your existing tractor. The DR (or similar) is always going to be a compromise..... but it still beats a shovel. :)

Here's a couple of pics of mine....

20150614_163520.jpg

20150516_163404_resized.jpg

/ Towable Backhoe? From China? #10  
Towables, and aftermarket 3 pt. hoes are nothing more than expensive toys. Don't do it! Buy a REAL hoe, with sub-frame, that is made by your tractor manufacturer. Do not waste your money on that towable thingy! If you can't afford a real hoe, just use a shovel, tone your muscles, and save your money!

I'd concur with that. I know I can get the 'hoe for my eMax 22 for the price of that towable, maybe a bit less. I realize I'm talking a smaller hoe that you'd be looking at but it would be comparable in size to that DR towable.