need advice on budget friendly tractor.

/ need advice on budget friendly tractor. #1  

kd0nfq

Tractor
case 220
ok guys, ive been lurking for a few years, but i cant quite find the answer i need so i joined and am posting now.

i am replacing my case 220 garden tractor with a larger tractor for dragging the driveways and moving junk around the yard. my experience has always been with 150+hp machines and we always just buy one since it pays the bills. but, here is were it gets complicated...

a year ago a friend and i spent quite a bit of time researching starting a business mowing and grading right of ways, refineries, empty lots, drainage ditches, old farm yards, drive ways, ect... with the plan of doing food plot work to fill in the slow times. anyway, we figured out our equipment needs and were going to buy newer machinery to hopefully avoid some downtime. we were planning on purchasing a 80ish horse tractor with a cab and a 40ish horsepower tractor with or without a cab, both with loaders, valve on loaders, rear remotes, and skid steer style attachment on the loader and we priced them from deere, caseih, and kubota since the dealers are all fairly close and i get to work with them on ag stuff. now, my friend has since dropped out of this project and it really doesn't bother me since we haven't started yet. i am going on solo, with a much tighter budget than planned and of course i cant find all my notes from last year. the equipment needs to fit on a 25ft gooseneck with 10k axles, and i am pulling it with a f350 dually, i can legally load 15,000 pounds.

i would be mowing anything from regularly cut city lots and industrial sites, to ditches and crp grass, with the occasional abandoned farm yard with 20ft tall weeds. we were only considering HD 3pt mowers that can handle 3" brush to help eliminate problems from hitting the unseen as well as the occasional plumb thicket and ceder tree.

equipment we considered purchasing:

40hp tractor open/cab, loader, hydro, 4x4, with a 5ft bush hog
80 hp tractor cab, loader, powershift/shuttle, 4x4, with 8ft bush hog.

my question is: am i sizing the tractors right to the mowers and what would a much more affordable alternative be? i am currently looking at much older equipment built in the 50s and 60s to try and stay with in my budget of 3-5,000 for a tractor and 10,000 max with mower, plow, blade, box blade, land plane, and what ever else i find a need for, or pick up cheap at an auction. the tractor must have fairly good parts availability and be "bullet-proof" with common sense.

oh, im in south central, ks btw and grew up on a wheat and cattle farm and we hired most of the smaller "***** work" out.

sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance guys.

/ need advice on budget friendly tractor. #2  
Tall order but I'll take a shot...

Something on the order of the below items would get you started on a budget. I don't think your budget is quite large enough for what you are trying to do but both items below are not hurt for the hours they have and you can do an amazing amount of work with the B7800 and that Grasshopper would mow for another 4000 hours easily.

Used 2009 Grasshopper 325D For Sale $6,500 - KanEquip, Inc. - TractorByNet.com

Used 2008 Kubota B7800 For Sale $10,900 - tcarter1 - TractorByNet.com

/ need advice on budget friendly tractor.
whoops. guess i should have mentioned this... 4x4 and loader are not a requirement at this time, and i am only looking at purchasing one set up. as far as fuel type and transmission? gas or diesel and one known to not cause problems. LOL. im used to constantly clutching and stopping to shift.

/ need advice on budget friendly tractor. #4  
As a former business owner who contract mowed city right of ways and drainage ditches, I have to ask is all your terrain you'll be mowing flat? If not, you will need front wheel assist, no loader hanging off the front but plenty of low hanging suitcase weight, loaded rear tires and spacers on them. Ag tires as well.

90% of it is flat. you have the occasional drainage ditch and overpass, but those arent the jobs i am necessarily marketing towards. its pretty dang flat here, on a clear night i can stand on the front porch and see the lights at the airport 20 miles away... yes, suit case weights will help keep the front end down on a steep hill, but offer little protection from hidden objects in tall grass around feedlots and oil wells, i can lower the bucket and use it as a "feeler", of course after walking the area first if feasable.

/ need advice on budget friendly tractor. #6  
90% of it is flat. you have the occasional drainage ditch and overpass, but those arent the jobs i am necessarily marketing towards. its pretty dang flat here, on a clear night i can stand on the front porch and see the lights at the airport 20 miles away... yes, suit case weights will help keep the front end down on a steep hill, but offer little protection from hidden objects in tall grass around feedlots and oil wells, i can lower the bucket and use it as a "feeler", of course after walking the area first if feasable.

Good plan. I was mowing the opposite. 75-80% hills. Good luck with your adventure!

/ need advice on budget friendly tractor. #7  
Given all the info you have offered... I would start with buying the Grasshopper.. It will mow circles around any tractor in your budget.... if we are talking grass... if we are bush hogging... different story.. you have to decide for you business... Grass? or Bush Hogging? if it is grass get the Grasshopper. You will find that your time is one of the most valuable commodites and anything that gets the job done faster will make you more $$.

i already have 2 grasshoppers, and they will mow circles around a tractor. however, the material being cut is bush hog material or the ground is to rough to for the zero turns. trust me, i have tried and maybe i have the repair bills to show i tried a bit to hard.

well gentlemen.

i decided on a international 350 utility. comes with a road boss grader, a bunch of the original international goodies, 3pt adapter for the 2pt, and it appears to have had a easy life. i am going to pick up a 6ft land pride cutter at the same time. all im waiting on now if getting the bank stuff lined out. gotta love small town banks.