Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC30

Default Which Tractor To Go After

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I am thinking about getting a small tractor to do landscaping, brush hogging and maybe snow plowing. Later on I might get a backhoe. I own 5 mostly flat acres. In my local area I am looking at 3 tractors sold by dealers. I would also like to trade in my newer Suzuki ATV Qing Quad 750. First 2 dealers are willing to accept a trade and Yanmar dealer is not interested. I did some research and TC30 and T1520 are very much similar except HP. I read a lot of good feedback on Yanmar tractor.

2005 New Holland TC30, Loader, 230 HRS, 1 owner, service history. Asking price $12,900
    2014 New Holland T1520, loader 130 HRS, asking price $15,900
    2014 Yanmar EX3200 TL, Loader, NEW asking price $16,250 Dealer is willing to negotiate if paying cash.

What do you think is the best path.

Thanks

Doug

Elite Member
    Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds

Default Re: Which Tractor To Go After

Quote Originally Posted by dougz View Post

I am thinking about getting a small tractor. I own 5 mostly flat acres.
    landscaping,
    brush hogging
    and maybe snow plowing.
    What landscaping? From what stage? Will you start by removing brush? Will you need to dig? Dig what?

bush hogging ~~Woody vegetation or grass? What diameter? How dense? How many acres?

maybe snow plowing ~~Why maybe? How much snow? Why do you think a plow is needed, rather than a simple FEL and bucket?

Have you operated a tractor before?

Will you perform your own service and repairs?

How near are the Yanmar and New Holland dealers?

Tractor
    New Holland TC30

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9366 View Post
    What landscaping? From what stage? Will you start by removing brush? Will you need to dig? Dig what?

bush hogging ~~Woody vegetation or grass? What diameter? How dense? How many acres?

maybe snow plowing ~~Why maybe? How much snow? Why do you think a plow is needed, rather than a simple FEL and bucket?

Have you operated a tractor before?

Will you perform your own service and repairs?

How near are the Yanmar and New Holland dealers?
    Light landscaping. Filling low spots in the yard to prevent standing water and level areas that used to have small ponds. Level out about 400 feet of trench fill from sewer line install. Will brush hog around 3 acres of grass in dry conditions no swampy areas. I have a concrete driveway and other equipment to clean snow. Some winters we have lots of snow. This winter hardly had any. I never operated a tractor. There are few New Holland Dealers within 20 miles and 1 Yanmar dealer within 30

Elite Member
    Tractor

dougz;4394002]

Light landscaping.

Filling low spots in the yard to prevent standing water and level areas that used to have small ponds. Level out about 400 feet of trench fill from sewer line install.

~~For leveling your FEL bucket should mostly suffice, with the tractor operating in reverse. For anything but soft dirt add a Ratchet Rake to the bucket. Ratchet Rake is excellent for landscaping and light grading. Ratchet Rakes are sold by the T-B-N store.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...t+Rake+grading

Will brush hog around 3 acres of grass in dry conditions no swampy areas.

~~I would want a five foot wide Rotary Cutter if cutting three acres regularly.

I have a concrete driveway and other equipment to clean snow. Some winters we have lots of snow. This winter hardly had any.
    ~~What equipment? ~~Why maybe? Can you hire heavy snow removal so you do not store heavy snow removal equipment for long periods, idle?

I never operated a tractor. There are few (??) New Holland Dealers within 20 miles and 1 Yanmar dealer within 30

~~If the New Holland dealer is 1/3 closer I would favor that brand. Dealers often charge $1.50 to $2.00 per mile to trailer a tractor in and out for service or repair.

20 X 4 (two trips out/two trips back)= 80 miles X $1.50 = $120 transport. ...X $2.00 = $160 transport.

Here are some additional used tractors near zip code 44133: Industrial Tractor | eBay
    Last edited by jeff9366; 03-07-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Tractor
    L2800 - HST

Doug, What transmission do each of the tractors have? I personally would want a HST

Tractor
    New Holland TC30

Quote Originally Posted by teg View Post
    Doug, What transmission do each of the tractors have? I personally would want a HST
    All 3 have HST

Tractor
    New Holland TC30

Thanks for the advice. I haven't seen the Ratchet Rake before, That is an awesome tool.
    I use Suzuki King Quad 750 and 60" wide Meyer Path Pro plow. It does good job plowing snow on concrete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Tractor To Go After-20160229_172741-jpg  

Tractor
    Kioti CK35 HST TL, Gravely ZTHD

My advice would be to buy the Yanmar. You're starting new. Nothing wrong with it. It's also light enough to not destroy the yard. If the dealer not interested in a trade, that's fine. It may not be what he moves. Sell it privately. It will likely fetch more that way. JMO
    Tony

2013 Kioti CK35 HST with KL130 FEL
    2015 Gravely ZT 60HD
    Collection of battered lawn tractors and used implements
    Stihl MS362cm and Husqvarna 350 chainsaws

The problem with this country is people want their rights and liberties without the duties and responsibilities they entail

Tractor
    NH T-1520 HST, JD 5210 2WD, Terramite T5C, F-450/Terex T292, 48" MIE grapple

I'd go with the NH T1520 for that price. (very happy with my 2014 ) Understand that it is more or less a refinement of the TC30, and though it barely needs the extra .2 L of engine (1.7L vs 1.5L & a tad thirstier) you would appreciate the extra torque when b-hogging or tilling. (btw, no leaks or loose bolts at 110 hrs)

Things I gave up when upgrading from '98 1.3L NH 1520: Crank-type leveling box (~$100 to add), dashboard cruise control (locks HST pedal), more precise bucket level indicator (will mod), tiny (but there) tool box behind the seat, and being able to climb off w/o playing Simon Says for the safety control module. (I'm used to that and PEC has made it ~moot for hooking up. )

Things I like about the newer model: R-4 rubber w/beet juice (vs turfs/air), low mount muffler, and no fuss Tier 4A engine. (CI muffler vs DOC)

btw, One thing you may or may not want to add someday is 3rd function for the FEL, and there isn't much room to mount the diverter valve. BTDT and Tony from MIE () helped me mount valve to loader arm with no extra work to QD the loader. (pics/specs of my easily made mount bkt on request pending 'review' () of awesome 48" MIE grapple.)

Oh, and my choice of model was hugely influenced by ease of entry/exit from either side. (both knees are kinda 'shot') tog

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by dougz View Post
    I haven't seen the Ratchet Rake before, That is an awesome tool.
    LINK to T-B-N archive: https://www.google.com/search?client...actorbynet.com

Photos: kubota B3300 SU

Photo #2 will give you an idea of its utility for grading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Tractor To Go After-img_0399-jpg   Which Tractor To Go After-img_0398-jpg   Which Tractor To Go After-img_0606-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast