Looking at Mahindra -Opinions?

/ Looking at Mahindra -Opinions? #11  
I have heard the same about the DOC on Mahindras, and not sure why some consider that no added equipment -- it's like a type of catalytic converter. Still quite a bit of extra plumbing added to the engine. Marketing can spin benefits for DOC and DPF.

/ Looking at Mahindra -Opinions? #12  
If I'm not mistaken, International Harvester had a big influence on the Mahndra Tractor after WW II in fact some of the early model Mahindra's looked identical to the IH tractors from that year. IH worked with Mahindra on tractors and the Willy's Jeep I believe. Mahindra has been building tractors for many years and as I understand it are like the John Deere of tractors in a lot of countries... I may have gotten some of the above wrong but I do remember reading about IH involved with Mahindra early on... Mahindra has won the Deming award for quality in the past also....not an easy award to win.

I would buy a Mahindra in a heartbeat.. :thumbsup:

/ Looking at Mahindra -Opinions? #13  
If I'm not mistaken, International Harvester had a big influence on the Mahndra Tractor after WW II in fact some of the early model Mahindra's looked identical to the IH tractors from that year. IH worked with Mahindra on tractors and the Willy's Jeep I believe. Mahindra has been building tractors for many years and as I understand it are like the John Deere of tractors in a lot of countries... I may have gotten some of the above wrong but I do remember reading about IH involved with Mahindra early on... Mahindra has won the Deming award for quality in the past also....not an easy award to win. I would buy a Mahindra in a heartbeat.. :thumbsup:

I think that was the 4025 that had roots traced back to the old IH tractors Mahindra used to build for them. It's a new model now but I'm not sure what it's called. Very popular tractor though, probably one of Mahindras biggest sellers in their line.

/ Looking at Mahindra -Opinions? #14  
My daughter and son-in-law have a 40 acre horse farm and have been getting by (barely) with a BX2670 (I think) with a very small loader. I have often brought my B2620 including the BH65 backhoe to her place to help.

Moving gravel, feed, manure and brush hogging is a pain (literally) with this small tractor. My daughter is currently in extreme back pain from a recent binge of moving 2 gravel trains of gravel. My sil has been looking at Mahindras at a nearby New Holland dealer. He is considering the 1538 Cab model.

I have no experience or knowledge of Mahindras. Any opinions? There is also a Kioti dealer - Michigan Iron - fairly near but further away. I'm thinking he may want to look there as well.

Also, once she gets her back healed up, what seat should she look for in those two manufacturers, or other brands that have good seats.

I've considering just letting them keep my B2620 at their place and use it as much as they want because I don't really need it here because my other son-in-law and step daughter live here in our duplex and he has a Zero turn mower and LS 46 HP Cab tractor.

But I'm not sure my B model is really what they need.

Thoughts?

I did a lot of research lately to buy my first tractor and settled on a Mahindra for several reasons, bang for the buck, weight, warranty, no DPF and also the dealership (an important consideration) and what promises to be better support once I have the tractor on my place.
Knowing nothing about tractors, I'd never heard of Mahindra before I started shopping and bought one. I think I'll be OK but only time will tell. They seem to be highly thought of around here but most folks tend to like what they have regardless of brand.
Don't forget the dealership factor. A bad dealer can make for a bad experience with the best product on the market no matter how much you spend. The dealer I bought mine from also sold the New Holland and Kioti brands.

/ Looking at Mahindra -Opinions? #15  
Having a good friend with a 75 acre horse farm which raises and trains more than 20 horses I would keep the little tractor and get a utility tractor around 60-65 hp 4wd. A good used one would be great. They have 2 of them for the farm. You can use the size and power for loader work, moving hay bales, haying, cutting pasture and renovating pasture with a decent sized mower and general utility work. Unless this is a hobby horse farm where all feedstuffs are purchased a compact utility tractor would be marginal. When I got out of the haying business I down sized from 67 hp to 50 hp for my produce garden business, but the larger tractor was a great tool for many years.

/ Looking at Mahindra -Opinions?
I spent most of the day with my daughter and sil today. We got the UTV pulled out of the mud then went zero turn and tractor shopping. Long story short, they can afford the zero turn but not a tractor this year. Tractor comes next year when a loan.payment is paid off.

I told her no more moving gravel with her little BX. We'll either rent a skid steer for the day next time or I'll bring my B2620 over and I'll do it and take my time.

And she needs to not spend all day brush hogging too.
She has an appointment with a neurological doctor at U of M hospital next week. She is in a lot of pain and taking a lot of meds right now.

Thanks for all your comments and help.

/ Looking at Mahindra -Opinions? #17  
Take a look at the 2538 also. A very good package. I think I'm going to go test drive one next weekend up north a ways and also the Branson 3520H. B.

/ Looking at Mahindra -Opinions? #18  
That B2620 is a nice little tractor. Nimble and tough, perfect for many things on any size spread. But IMO it would not be nearly enough as the only machine on a 40-acre horse farm. :eek: Since you have the flexibility to leave yours there for the time being, the kids will have a good opportunity to see what needs it will meet before they make a final commitment. If they ultimately must have only one tractor, either the Mahindra or the Kioti in 45 hp or up would be what I would recommend. The bigger machine would handle many of the smaller tasks too. Just not as quickly and efficiently, and close-quarter maneuvering would be very frustrating after driving the B2620.

/ Looking at Mahindra -Opinions? #19  
She has an appointment with a neurological doctor at U of M hospital next week. She is in a lot of pain and taking a lot of meds right now.

Thanks for all your comments and help.

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!

Although our Mahindra Max 25 with spring seat worked fine for four years, (great machine to be sure), I chose to have the dealer add a suspension seat upgrade on the Mahindra 2538 we recently upgraded to. (Direct bolt on from the 2540). It's main usage is on rough terrain and I am already glad I spent a bit more for the true suspension seat. I agree that the stock seats are nice as well, and would just buy the tractor/dealer you like and if the seat is there great, but if not you can always have a retrofit for a few hundred bucks or less. (Whether new OEM or one from a third party site like Tractor Supply or the internet.) A quick hitch might help with connection ease as well.

As to Mahindra quality/experience, I have had both a small and a mid size unit. I can vouch for 160+ hours of trouble free Mahindra/Mitsubishi Max 25 work. (Hard work for a SCUT). And only about 17 hours on the Mahindra/TYM 2538, which for the last 10 hours could be considered peak limit type utilization. Very pleased so far. The five year powertrain warranty is a really a nice safety net especially on an HST machine where most of the tractor is essentially powertrain... It also helped us sell the Max almost instantly once the new machine arrived. It was at year four into the warranty, but for the buyer, it was like they are effectively getting a truly guaranteed purchase with a full year left to stress the machine's powertrain and find any possible flaws. I'd bet $100 that longer powertrain warranties will become common with a few other brands in order to stay competitive with Mahindra. (And that's good for everyone...)

Tier IV is also a complicating factor for most new CUT buyers, and I personally prefer how Mahindra has handled it with a flow through catalytic converter and some other features as opposed the a diesel particulate filter that requires routine regenerations each time the filter plugs off. Other big manufacturers are pleased with it, and so I am sure they will stand by it, but for me personally I sleep better knowing I have an mCRD Tier IV solution that is simpler at least in my mind.

Helpful explanation here by clicking this:

More details here:
Introducing our Tier IV "mCRD Technology" | Mahindra
mCRD_engine.jpg

Good luck with whichever brand of tractor you choose. They're all good with the right dealer and application considered. It sounds like they are pivoting in the right direction with a 50hp + unit for that much acreage and farm usage.

/ Looking at Mahindra -Opinions?
Today the New Holland, Mahindra dealer showed us a 37 hp New Holland boomer model. He said he could do better on price performance with the NH because of incentives. He was very knowledgeable and walk us through the Tier 4 stuff on it. If my kids could swing it that financially now that seemed like a good model. We have determined a 6' brush hog would be plenty big enough. They have been brush hogging with a 4 footer behind that little BX and it is a rough ride and takes a long time. I think with a bigger tractor and 6 foot cutter it would be a lot better ride and take half the time.

We also went to John Deere. We looked at the 3039R. The sales guy was not as knowledgeable and not as professional. I think the Deere prices were higher too

But that is mute at this point. They are going to get a Zero turn mower for the lawn and I will probably end up loaning them my B2620 for a year until they are ready to buy a new tractor.

I told her to stay off that BX until she is healthy again. She has a hired hand doing morning chores and her younger sister comes over to evening chores until she gets better.

I hate to see her in such pain and laid up but hopefully they will get to the bottom of this and she will be back to normal soon.