JD5100e w/260 FEL price check - 536hrs

/ JD5100e w/260 FEL price check - 536hrs #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
2015 JD 5100e Cab with 260 FEL and 536 hours. Priced at $47,500 spent the year mowing and doing racetrack work.

1 yr left on the warranty.

I have 80ac raw land that I want to build into a Kentucky Thoroughbred horse farm and I think this will do everything and more, that I would need it to do.

What are you sage thoughts on price and utility for my needs?

/ JD5100e w/260 FEL price check - 536hrs #2  
Price seems reasonable. Keep in mind that these tractors aren't built for farm work, but should be ok on an 80 acre horse farm if you aren't doing any/much tillage or heavy work. If you plan on over 300 hours a year I would recommend something else (5M, or Kubota, or a larger tractor).

There is a reason why there are so many low hour 5E's for sale.

/ JD5100e w/260 FEL price check - 536hrs
Matt,

Can you expand on that thought?

I'm not intending to row crop the place, but I will need to mow it and take care of everything that can go on, on a farm. Some earth work (filling in some small drainage areas caused by the runoff from row cropping) building some roads, Post driver (for wood posts) spray/no till drill to put in the pastures (which I suspect might push the limits depending on the drill I can rent).

It meets the HP loads I suspected I would need, and I recognize it isn't a 'heavy' machine, but what am I missing here, if anything?

I will need the power to build this farm. The last tractor I used consistently was my Grandpa's 4020. I've been away from them for 20 years.

300 hours would likely be much more than I will actually use it when the 'building' phase is through. But I'd like to understand its limitations before I purchase.

/ JD5100e w/260 FEL price check - 536hrs #4  
Should be fine for what you plan on using it for. You just have to understand that it is a very small and light tractor for the engine size and isn't meant to use all of it's power too often. I had a 5093E and used it as a farm tractor, I think the engine was too much for the driveline. In 3 years it had transmission problems, wore ring and pinion and pto was slipping.

/ JD5100e w/260 FEL price check - 536hrs #5  
Might be a good fit, for the price have you explored what's out there from other manufacturers for the money. Maybe look at renting equipment to get larger jobs done, and then maintain with your own machine.

/ JD5100e w/260 FEL price check - 536hrs #6  
A new one you can get for 57k or less if paying cash, so if financing look at the cost difference after interest. Beyond that, the larger e will likely be fine for you. They started making 6 series e models as well.

/ JD5100e w/260 FEL price check - 536hrs #7  
That size and configuration is more than big enough to farm 80 acres.

We've done far more with far less.