Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #1  

Dtrack

Tractor
none
Hi All,

I just purchased a 3.5 acre residential plot near a downtown area in North Carolina. It has about 3/4 acre grassy area, 2 acres of hilly dense trees and brush with many large downed trees, the rest surrounds 300 feet of winding 6 foot deep narrow creek with some large heavy railroad ties that need to get pulled out, and a 100 x 50 foot pond with some broken deep wood posts for a deck and ragged edges, and many debris piles, including very large pallets of bricks in the back. This place needs to get cleaned up and I only have a regular car, not even a pickup. I have about a $20,000 - $30,000 vehicle budget for this summer and need to make the most out of it. Ideally I would like to have a Ford Ranger or F150 size pickup and JD Gator and JD 1025R but I'm trying to prioritize. Any suggestions how I might best manage this in the short term would be appreciated. I've spent a lot of time planning and its time to do something.

Dtrack

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #2  
First off, welcome to TBN.:welcome: from Utah.
I only work in treeless mostly flat land so I'll defer to the others on here that could better advise on equipment needs.

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase
Thanks for the feedback and welcome

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #4  
Hi All,

I just purchased a 3.5 acre residential plot near a downtown area in North Carolina. It has about 3/4 acre grassy area, 2 acres of hilly dense trees and brush with many large downed trees, the rest surrounds 300 feet of winding 6 foot deep narrow creek with some large heavy railroad ties that need to get pulled out, and a 100 x 50 foot pond with some broken deep wood posts for a deck and ragged edges, and many debris piles, including very large pallets of bricks in the back. This place needs to get cleaned up and I only have a regular car, not even a pickup. I have about a $20,000 - $30,000 vehicle budget for this summer and need to make the most out of it. Ideally I would like to have a Ford Ranger or F150 size pickup and JD Gator and JD 1025R but I'm trying to prioritize. Any suggestions how I might best manage this in the short term would be appreciated. I've spent a lot of time planning and its time to do something.

Dtrack

I don't see how you're gonna get both with that budget unless you plan to finance.

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase
Thanks for the feedback I guess then what is the priority? Maybe the gator to do the lighter cleanup for now?

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #6  
Thanks for the feedback I guess then what is the priority? Maybe the gator to do the lighter cleanup for now?

I'd say to get the truck first. I tell everyone to buy a pickup when they buy a house, any house, and they'll be glad they did. You could rent equipment or even hire some of the heavy clean up work done. Outside of a sandbox you're not going to get a whole lot of actual work done with a Gator anyway. For hunting and fishing maybe but that's a different story. Maybe later on a SCUT would be worth looking into for keeping the place up.

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #7  
I'm cheap, I would use my 5x10 tilt trailer to haul the stuff to the dump / brush recycling. One question, is this the sort of stuff you like and want to do? Logs and or down trees in the woods, would be fine to leave to decompose.... unless you don't like the look of it.

Personally, I don't see the need for a gator. My tractor is my wheel barrel and tool carrier. A pond (because of mud) is hard to deal with any tractor... it's been done by people who have a major dry spell. We don't get them in NC...

I would think about a BX25 (or the like) with a backhoe. That would about max out your budget and you could get the dealer to deliver it.

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #8  
Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move your thread on over to our buying, pricing and comparisons section. You should find more advice there. :)

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #9  
I'd say to get the truck first. I tell everyone to buy a pickup when they buy a house, any house, and they'll be glad they did. You could rent equipment or even hire some of the heavy clean up work done. Outside of a sandbox you're not going to get a whole lot of actual work done with a Gator anyway. For hunting and fishing maybe but that's a different story. Maybe later on a SCUT would be worth looking into for keeping the place up.

X2
A truck is a must IMHO.

/ Need equipment suggestions for new property purchase #10  
To keep up with the property maintenance a sub compact utility tractor would be plenty. I have roughly 6 acres between two properties to take care of and have a sub compact myself. It took care of any snow removal I needed just fine. The Loader has been great to move manure out of our horse rings. I like that it's a little lighter and doesn't dig up the yard, mostly. We also picked up the Mid Mount Mower and a box blade. Still waiting to use the mower but from what I've seen and read should be good for our set up. The biggest thing is establish exactly what you need it to be capable of then look at all the offerings. Find a great service oriented dealer that will stand behind what you're putting your hard earned dollars up for. Donnie