About to pull the trigger on an XJ2025H and would like some feedback from LS users

/ About to pull the trigger on an XJ2025H and would like some feedback from LS users #1  

ahueter

Tractor
Kioti CK3510HST
I am moving to an 18 acre horse property with approx. 15 acres of pasture. Pastures have been well maintained and terrain has only a slight grade. I have shopped JD, Kubota, LS, Kioti, and Yanmar tractors. I really like the LS dealer and his family operation and they are reasonably close to me, although that isn't my main decision factor. Two important points to mention....I am being **** about a MMM and the separate HST pedals. I am much more comfortable with the MMM vs the 3 point hitch mower. With that said, that alone decreases my tractor choices. I like the XJ2025 and feel like it is enough mower for me. I will be keeping the pastures groomed frequently so I think a finish mower is fine. Will also have the FEL as part of the purchase. I like the Kubota too but their pricing doesn't compete for me. Would really appreciate opinions on my thoughts!

/ About to pull the trigger on an XJ2025H and would like some feedback from LS users #2  
I own the LS J2023 which is the same as the 2025 w/ a few cosmetic changes. It is a great tractor but, have to point out that the hydro trans. is air cooled. I think this could be an issue for you maintaining 15 acres. With that amount of ground to maintain I would consider a tractor w/ a liquid cooled transmission.

/ About to pull the trigger on an XJ2025H and would like some feedback from LS users
Hadn't even considered that! Exactly why I came here for advice. Have you had a cooling issue with yours? Thanks for your input

/ About to pull the trigger on an XJ2025H and would like some feedback from LS users #4  
Welcome to TBN!

Is this going to be your first tractor? What is it about the 3pt mower that concerns you? If you're really just mowing pastures that are well maintained I can't envision a scenario where a rear finish mower would cause a problem. Around trees and obstacles they can be more of a challenge, but that's about it.

As far as LS goes, I had an R4047H for 215 flawless hours (about 15 months) before I had to sell it to buy something much larger (full-size backhoe). It was a great machine and I was very happy with it. Last I knew it was still doing a good job for the new owner. I would love to have an XJ2025 for smaller chores, and while I would prefer a 3-range HST, it wouldn't be enough to deter me since so many other machines of this size are the same in that regard.

/ About to pull the trigger on an XJ2025H and would like some feedback from LS users
Thanks Gman. Yes this is my first tractor. I think my desire for the MMM comes from many years of operating a Z-turn mower with a small landscape/Lawn care company I owned. I don't like the idea of cutting along a long fence line and one slight turn can put that 3pt mower into my pasture fence. Its probably a stupid thought but I just know I need to buy something I am comfortable with. And yes, the 2 speed HST isn't my first choice but I need to drive one to run at desired pto speed in low and high range and feel it

/ About to pull the trigger on an XJ2025H and would like some feedback from LS users #6  
I have a 24 hp 2 range HST tractor and hi is more for transport, low is for work. As long as the ground isn't to much of a grade I run the loader around in hi no problems. Lots of happy LS owners on these threads so I think you'll do just fine. I don't know the options they offer for a mmm but I'd go with the biggest size offered from LS for that tractor from the size pastures you'll be maintaining. That's a lot of mowing, will take awhile to keep it all cut. Pair of sunglasses, some tunes, and a cold bev. Life is good 😊 Good Luck. Donnie

/ About to pull the trigger on an XJ2025H and would like some feedback from LS users #7  
Thanks Gman. Yes this is my first tractor. I think my desire for the MMM comes from many years of operating a Z-turn mower with a small landscape/Lawn care company I owned. I don't like the idea of cutting along a long fence line and one slight turn can put that 3pt mower into my pasture fence. Its probably a stupid thought but I just know I need to buy something I am comfortable with. And yes, the 2 speed HST isn't my first choice but I need to drive one to run at desired pto speed in low and high range and feel it

I think that's an understandable concern...nobody wants to take out their fence! It does make me wonder about the time you're going to spend to mow 15 acres with a 60" MMM deck. I mow a lot less with an 87" flail and I still think it takes too long :D

If you're totally set on the smaller sized machines you're probably not going to find a better option that you'll be comfortable with, but there is an alternative if you go just slightly larger.

With a 30hp machine you could run a 3pt flail mower with offset that would allow you to set it so that the mower doesn't extend past the rear tires on one side...run right along the fence line without fear of hitting it, and get a wider cut. You could run a 72" flail with a 30hp machine, and that's 20% more cut per pass...that adds up. The kicker is you'd also get a 3-range HST. I doubt you can mow in high range with an XJ2025, but I could be wrong.

Just something to consider since everyone here at TBN loves spending other people's money!

/ About to pull the trigger on an XJ2025H and would like some feedback from LS users #8  
At just over 2 years old & a little over 100 hrs. I have had no issues. But, I'm only maintaining 2 acres. That being said, I'm using a 60"RFM & love it. You will be very surprised at how well you can maneuver a rear mower.
Hadn't even considered that! Exactly why I came here for advice. Have you had a cooling issue with yours? Thanks for your input

/ About to pull the trigger on an XJ2025H and would like some feedback from LS users #9  
MMM is a waste of time and money (My views from experience). Should you really be concerned about fenceline cutting with a small mower width when there is a lot more stuff to cut without a boundary? Your pastures will have horses in them ? Then there will be horse poop, and a lot of it everywhere. Get a tractor with enough power to run a 7' rear mower or even a batwing to do 12 or 15'. Rear discharge will not plug up with manure like a side discharge, too.

Its easy to learn how to stay off the fence, just tape a broom handle off the radiator support and keep IT out of the fence. Your mower will then, too. Your 24 hp will be a little light should you wake up one day and realize that you can get a lot of baled hay out of some of that acreage. That MMM will be in the way of a lot of things and you will rapidly get sick and tired for horsing it on and off the tractor.

Horsing requires mowing, fencing, poop scooping, carrying stuff round, pulling wagons and trailers, snow plowing, driveway grooming, barn repair and maybe standby power, all from a tractor. Even if the hired man or woman has to do the work. Get an adequate machine to do all this. Buy used so you don't have to wax the hood and fenders so often. Loader with at least a 6' bucket, loaded rear tires, 4wd, rear remote hydraulics (2- 2way outlets, a canopy, and diesel motor. Then a wide rear mower, landscape rake, and a post hole digger. This to start out with horses and comfortable with the right stuff to do maintenance and upgrades. Best dealer is the closest one. Having a Tractor Supply, Rural King or Agri-supply, etc nearby is also a prerequisite.

Biggest savings if you can do your own hay for horse feed. That keeps the vet out of the barn, too.

/ About to pull the trigger on an XJ2025H and would like some feedback from LS users #10  
I have a New Holland Boomer 24 which comes off the same line I believe. We have about 10 acres that will be used for horses very soon. I am going with the rotary mower option due to cost and less fuss and muss with it. You can pick up a 5' used rotary mower for $400-$500 in these parts. The MMM is, of course, machine specific so big money in comparison.

Never thought of the idea of affixing a pole/broom handle to the front of the tractor to help determine if the mower is going to hit the fence. Guess I am going to have to go cut me a pole :)