Is Bigger REALLY Better?

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #1  

surfran

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1800
I was thinking........is bigger really better? (maybe Henro's spring fever is spreading)

I've had a BX1800 for almost a year now and I keep reading posts from new perspective owners who are looking to purchase a machine and most everyone always says get bigger you'll need it down the road.

Sometimes this truly makes sense, and sometimes well........it doesn't.

I'm thinking that you need to buy a machine to handle what it is you need to do (assuming you have visited TBN of course and have siphoned the knowledge and learned what it is you REALLY need to do).

Three points for me to buy what I need now and worry about bigger (maybe even smaller) later......

3) It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it!

2) If you haven't owned a tractor before, you really don't appreciate what can be done until you have tried.

1) Half the fun is buying them, so why deprive yourself for 20 years. Heck trade every 5 to 10 years and upgrade/downgrade as your needs change.

My apologies for no smiley faces, grins etc. Every time I click on them it kicks me back out of the message to the main discussion screen. I think when I re-installed my anti-virus/internet firewall the other day I disabled something that is now blocking me using these, but haven't figured out how to fix it.

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm thinking that you need to buy a machine to handle what it is you need to do )</font>

I been saying that for some time but gave up on it. I have a bx1500 and rent when I need a big machine. Most of my stuff is mowing and snow blowing. When I want to dig I get a digger !!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #3  
The posts I've seen, recent and past, have not been constantly pushing bigger. When someone writes in and says THEY are thinking between two then quite often it is suggested that they go bigger. But they were already leaning along that line anyway.

But, just for an example read the posts for "I am absolutely stuck, TC24 TC29" in the Newholland buying and selling area. There the answers seem to overwhelmingly suggest staying with the smaller unit and some even suggest a smaller unit than the TC24.

The problem is, Bigger is Better /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, this post has shown me I have no idea how to reference other threads. A little help?

Mike

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #4  
My apologies, it has been pointed out to me that Bigger is not always better. The pointer was my pregnant wife in reference to the baby /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mike

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #5  
I like to settle on a frame size, first, then get the largest power plant available for that frame size.

Kind of like finding a car you like, then getting the biggest engine available.

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #6  
Ok , There are times when something a little smaller size in tight working areas is very nice . I think the bottom line is : "If it works well for your needs than go for it and don't worry what everyone else is using or saying" . Sure , I bought up in tractor size after talking to a few folks on TBN . Would my original ideal tractor have got the job done ? More than likely, but it would have taken longer and I have better things to do than get jiggled around on a tractor all day . Now I am looking at buying attachments that the old size would not have handled so to me it was wise to move up in size . Besides with 45 acres tight spaces are not a problem .
Big Al

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #7  
A bigger paycheck would be nice but if it requires an increase in living costs and reduced quality of life from the previous situation what is the answer? Each to their own requirements one would think.

Egon

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #8  
My opinion has always been that smaller is better. So many people are buying cars with big engines and never use the full power of the engines. Can't imagine buying a car with more than 150 hp, for instance. In my opinion, if it doen't get AT LEAST 25 mpg overall (never mind highway mileage on those once/year trips), it oughta be junked.

Bigger tractors have bigger wheels, which are heavier and harder to handle. You likely can't handle big tractor wheels with tires, especially filled ones, by yourself. You'll need something with a winch. You won't be able to just fix it yourself or throw it in the trunk or bed of the truck to be fixed.

Engines running at lower than design rpm will use more fuel than engines at the hp you're using at their design rpm.

Ralph

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #9  
Moss. . . I think you are making a pretty good case for a compact frame .45ACP pistol (compact frame, lots of HP) . . . but as for tractors I think I've made a few enemies on this board by advocating SMALLER can be better.

I have almost 12 acres that I maintain, I've had a Kubota B2910 with FEL & BH and it is a very useful tractor. With some of the jobs I've used it for, I wish I had a LARGER tractor than the very capable 30hp Kubota. But most of my BUILDING jobs are DONE and now I spend more time MAINTAINING than I do BUILDING. And for the maintainence tasks, the Kubota is not as good a tractor as a SMALLER framed New Holland TC24D that I picked up last summer. The smaller tractor fits into tighter spaces, goes down most of my wooded trails without the ROPS getting hung up on large branches, its tighter turning radius allows it to mow around the landscaping faster, etc.

The reality is I probably could have used the TC24D to build things, and it would have been capable enough to do it, but I probably would have taken some smaller bites. The only real reason that I can think of for not buying the TC24D the FIRST time is that then I would not have 2 tractors. So now I have a big one and a little one and the wife is happy. In fact, the strategy worked out well enough that I'm shopping for a dedicated mowing tractor for my lovely MRS.

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #10  
<font color="blue"> I was thinking........is bigger really better? </font>
At 27 PTO hp, I am toward the upper end of the compact size. It is great for >90% of what I use it for. The other <10% is mowing in and out of the trees along my creek. That is rather tedious maneuvering around the tight spaces. I would not want any larger.