sanity check asap - buying a tractor this weekend

/ sanity check asap - buying a tractor this weekend #1  

wango tango

Silver Member
it's down to a new mahindra 2565 or a used 1900 hour 2001 john deere 5420. both have loaders, R1's, shuttle and cab.

driving myself (and wife) crazy...anyone relate? :)

on one hand the JD wont depreciate much, if any. it is a bigger tractor. price is at 30k. has new tires, 2 rear remotes, ride control. it was used by a college to mow/snow.

on the other hand, the mahindra is brand new (which i rarely buy new expensive depreciating assets) at 35900. buying a new tractor always seemed counter-intuitive for me as i'm a hobby farmer/weekend warrior.

help me out guys....what to do?

/ sanity check asap - buying a tractor this weekend #2  
The problem with a shared machine like the JD is you have no idea if they took care of it. Ask for maintenance records for sure.

/ sanity check asap - buying a tractor this weekend
I've asked to see them. It was owned by a community college so I'm guessing it was.

/ sanity check asap - buying a tractor this weekend #4  
Do you feel comfortable in checking out a used tractor? Are you able to fix the JD if it breaks? Having a warranty to fix any issues with a new tractor is nice.

/ sanity check asap - buying a tractor this weekend #5  
Personally, I'd get the John Deere, good machine and it will sure hold its value.

/ sanity check asap - buying a tractor this weekend #6  
What do you plan on doing with it?

/ sanity check asap - buying a tractor this weekend
I am mechanically inclined. Not an issue there. I'm going to food plot, mow, fence removal. Some minor road work. Logging property soon.

/ sanity check asap - buying a tractor this weekend #8  
Well the good thing is tractors hold value better than the average vehicle. I agree with murph, 1900 hours isn't bad when properly maintained. Asking 30k for a tractor that's 15 years old better have documentation, atleast if it were me. Upside is no tier4 stuff on the Deere, but the Mahindra is brand new. With new you'll know how the equipment was treated and maintained. Both brands build good products. Donnie

/ sanity check asap - buying a tractor this weekend #9  
You don't say where you are...... I'd be looking at a cabelas if you are anywhere near a store, and 30k is a lot for an old tractor.......

/ sanity check asap - buying a tractor this weekend #10  
Both are good machines , I would do the seat check to see which was best for me . For me tho fifteen years compared to new with warranty for less than 6 grand I go new ( just my opinion ) . either way enjoy and have pictures when done !