Price Check STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #12  
What I have difficulty understanding is how, in the face of all the price increases in the items I use most, does the rate of inflation remain so low?

Some of the things that affect the published rate are the base year, various weight adjustments, seasonal adjustments, and something called "Intervention Analysis" seasonal adjustment, which is apparently used to discard spikes and other events that someone judges to be non-typical. Is it possible that someone is fooling around with these adjustments to make the picture look better than it really is?

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #13  
<font color="blue"> how, in the face of all the price increases in the items I use most, does the rate of inflation remain so low?</font>
Because it's the national inflation rate, not OkeeDon's Inflation Rate. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

<font color="blue"> Is it possible that someone is fooling around with these adjustments to make the picture look better than it really is? </font>
Is it possible? Sure it's possible. Anything is possible. Is it realistic? Too many people know what goes into the creation of the number we call the inflation rate. If someone was cooking the books, there are far too many financial analyst out there who'd catch this and report it.

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #14  
No, our fleet buys at selected retailers who cater to commercial fleets in Northern Indiana and Northern Illinois.

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #15  
I would "assume" that if the item.order was placed and paid for or even invoived that aws signed then they should not be alb eot increase the price after the second that it was processed. legally speaking once the invoice is signed and accepted then it becomes a binding contract, bar none. tell them if they do not want to bide by the orriginal contract then I'm sure a atttorny can get it for a lot less as well as court costs and all fees incured! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm sure they will remove the surcharge ASAP and appoligize but be aware that getting NEW orders from them may become a problem down the road...

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #16  
The big thing is you only notice the stuff that goes up. You don't think about the stuff that stays flat or goes down in price. Is the price of bananas going up faster than inflation? Paper towels? Motor Oil? Air compressors? A burger at a fast food place? Who knows. There's a lot of stuff you buy and you dont even think about inflation unless the price goes up.

It is extremely lame to try and change the price after an order has been placed. People do occasionally try it but there is no excuse for it.

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #17  
Some financial advisors recommend people develop their own inflation rate by eliminating measures from the standard inflation rate that do not aplpy to them and adding ones that do.

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #18  
i think we are being gouged for a lot of things, steel, and especially gasoline, seems strange the the price of gas and oil have been skyrocketing, and now we are comming int to the summertime whe gas usually goes up, so if the price now is $1.89 for reg. unleaded what is it going to be in july? i see no reason for it to have gone up that fast in the last 3 months(other thatn gouging) and self made shortages. just feel that we are getting ripped off in all cases. actually don't think this belongs in this thread, sorry guys. just struck a nerve.

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #19  
The price of gasoline changes daily and the price of the product in the tank in the ground hasn't changed since it was delivered. It is gouging by the oil companies that operate the stations or the individual station operators if they are independently owned. Sure, they are entitled to a reap the benefit if they invest in thousands of gallons of gasoline and there is a price change, but they raise it immediately upon the change of the price of a barrel of crude while that crude is still on the ocean in the container ship and hasn't even come close to the refinery. In the mean time, the barrel price may drop the next day, but the gasoline price will not drop for a week. That in my book is gouging, plain and simple. All I can say is I am going on a diet, no more CARB no more Rice /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif....

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #20  
As prices increase, hopefully more people will go on a "diet" and seriously start buying more fuel efficient cars. It's the only way to fight the Powers That Be. People do start to voluntarily reduce their consumption when prices get too high.

Remember when Congress proposed a 50 cents per gallon gas tax hike as an incentive to get people to reduce their consumption? It had a triple benefit -- those who didn't want to get hurt by the increase could get a fuel-efficient car and reduce their consumption; those who didn't want to change their habits paid for their wastefulness; and the increased revenues meant more money for things like road infrastructure repair.

Great idea.

More fuel efficient usually means lighter weight, which usually means less steel, which helps fight that trend, too. Anyone who has ever raced knows that a lighter car handles better, and can thus be safer. Modern crush zone techniques and advanced materials take care of some of the concern about getting hit by a heavier car, although even a Hummer gets crushed if it's run over by a semi.