Price Check STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #1  

HayDR

Veteran Member, Approved Advertiser
Tractor
JD 2040,2240, 2355, 2755, 4055
This STEEL SURCHARGE stuff is just a way for someone to say they are going to raise prices. We actually had a USA vendor try to charge a STEEL SURCHARGE on an order placed last year. They were late delivering it, not our fault and now they want a STEEL SURCHARGE. If we as a dealer agrees to a price with a customer that is the deal. If the price was not good why did they give it to us. We purchase and sell steel everyday so we know the plight in the steel industry. A STEEL SURCHARGE is price gouging. Set your prices if the prices changes then change them be upfront with the customer.
<font color="blue"> CCM- THE HOME of NO STEEL SURCHARGE PRICING</font>

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #2  
Mark I respectfully disagree. I won't say that SOME surcharges are gouging because some clearly are. In the case of one of your suppliers I would probably agree with you that that specific case is gouging.

But I run a fleet of trucks that delivers goods to retail stores, I add on a $0.25 cent FUEL SURCHARGE on the bottom of every invoice when DIESEL fuel costs me more than $1.69 per gallon, is that the same as a price increase? NO. Because it is only applied when the fuel costs me more than $1.69, when it dips down below that point we remove the charge. The STEEL SURCHARGES are based on the price of the steel, they are gouging only when the they are retroactively applied or applied at rates above the actual increases.

We are all entitled to a fair profit, the manufacturer, the wholesaler, the retailer, etc.

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging
Bob,
If you contact us for an item you want to know the delivered price don't you? You would be upset if after the item was delivered, we put another charge on your card and you called and asked what the charge was for and we said a "STEEL SURCHARGE". Many of the companies today are doing just that.
<font color="blue">CCM- NO STEEL SURCHARGES HERE</font>

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #4  
Just curious, have you ever paid more than $1.69 a gallon?
I can't ever remember paying that much.

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #5  
A lot of the places around here are now running at $1.749 - $1.799 for diesel so I could easily see the Chicago area being a $1.699 quite a bit.

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #6  
Sure seems high. I get a fax from my fuel supplier every morning.
This morning it was $1.5798 per gallon tax in.

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging
Last year I was in California an paid $2.03. The current price here in East TN. is $1.69 for regular.

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #8  
Diesel in NW Indiana is running about $1.69 to $1.79 right now. It has been close to $2. It usually runs closer to $1.5.

Mark, I would agree with your senario as gouging. I want a firm price on what I order. If you tell me that effective with the NEXT order the price is UP then that is NOT gouging. We deal with about 250 manufacturers, some tell us that effective will all orders placed .... the price is $.... We do have a couple who will make price changed retroactive to yesterday's orders, and that is pretty unreasonable.

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #9  
Try playing in the auto industry these days. As a supplier to the big three we get to eat any raw material increases (used to be able to pass along). If we don't want to pay the increase to our supplier, they tell us to pound sand as there are plenty of other customers out there. Contracts mean nothing. OEs will competitively quote a product and the lowest price becomes the new price regardless of any contracts. If you don't agree you don't get to bid on new business. If you don't provide enough "give back" you also lose the opportunity to bid on new business. Tell 'em to shove it and they smile while taking it out on some other supplier. The results of overcapacity and global economics. It's all gotten quite hostile recently /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ STEEL SURCHARGE is Price Gouging #10  
<font color="blue"> You would be upset if after the item was delivered, we put another charge on your card and you called and asked what the charge was for and we said a "STEEL SURCHARGE" </font>

Mark--In my book that would illegal or at the very least unethecial?-A cutomer should know his total when he places his order--Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *Over 1000 New and Refurbished Pieces at 2 Locations*