Comparison Gray Market YM 3110D Tractor

/ Gray Market YM 3110D Tractor #1  

Watercooled

Tractor
JD 420C and 40 standard
There is a dealer 3+ hours away that is selling Yanmar tractors refurbished. Listed as Mitsubishi YM 3110D from Japan. Please look at the link on his company: TractorCo.Com | Serving the Pacific Northwest with New & Quality Pre-Owned Tractors, Front Loaders, Backhoes and Mowers by Kubota, John Deere, Yanmar, Mitsubish and others! (Wa. State)
Under the products and listed as reconditioned tractors, then look at large tractors to the YM 3110D. They seem to have added many new parts.
The price looks good, but it is a 1980 tractor. I talked to the dealer and they say the one coming in only has 800 hours on it, hard to believe for its age.

So, what would be any advise that you folks could give me on gray market tractors? I know nothing about this type of G/M tractor. On a low budget these perk my interest.

Thanks again for all the support and knowledge.

Watercooled

/ Gray Market YM 3110D Tractor #2  
Watercooled,

I know nothing about the grey market, other than as it pertains to fishing reels. I looked up the YM3110D on tractordata, and they claim 31 PTO HP with 30.6 Engine HP. That raises a bit of a red flag for me. Does anyone know how much power they actually make? What loader is on it? Seems like a roughly comparable machine to a Kubota L, could be nice.

/ Gray Market YM 3110D Tractor #3  
I have a US spec Yanmar. It's been an excellent machine & parts are available. Grey market tractors may be a different story. Apparently, you are taking a gamble if it's a Vietnam refurb. Do your research & post your question in the Yanmar section.

/ Gray Market YM 3110D Tractor #4  
The funniest thing about that guys tractors is the YM**** model tractors are Yanmars with Mitsubishi stickers on them. First time that I have seen that. I had a Yanmar YM2500 for many years and 2000 hours of use. Great tractor and I sold it for the same price that I paid for it.

/ Gray Market YM 3110D Tractor #5  
Because of a Yanmar lawsuit ..They aren't allowed to use the yanmar name.. Those are refurbed in Vietman..No name on the loaders.. He's telling you there is 800 hrs on the tractor since it was refurbed.. No way is it original hrs.. Doesn't sound like the guy is shooting straight with you.. I wouldn't do business with him..

If you scroll down this link from his site.. You'll find a list of yanmar tractors he's allowed to sell under the yanmar name.. These are yanmar tractors that were built for sale in the U.S. market

Yanmar Notice | TractorCo.Com | Thorp Washington

/ Gray Market YM 3110D Tractor #6  
I have noticed various posts on TbN over the years about gray market tractors, and the take-a-way is that if you need parts that are unique to your particular tractor, and it wasn't otherwise imported, you may be up the creek. The manufacturers seem to be very discouraging in supplying any support or parts. I would be very concerned that you were buying a nice paint job and some new parts, but the engine and transmission internals might be original.

/ Gray Market YM 3110D Tractor #7  
I have noticed various posts on TbN over the years about gray market tractors, and the take-a-way is that if you need parts that are unique to your particular tractor, and it wasn't otherwise imported, you may be up the creek. The manufacturers seem to be very discouraging in supplying any support or parts. I would be very concerned that you were buying a nice paint job and some new parts, but the engine and transmission internals might be original.

Yanmar will not support any grey market tractor,, There are some parts suppliers such as Hoye, Fredricks Equipment, .. Fredricks would be the best bang for your buck if you want a Grey Yanmar,, He does the best reconditioning of a grey Yanmar & uses a U.S. built loader..

If this dealer told him the tractor only has 800 original hrs... He is lying !!

I have a Fredricks tractor that I've had for 8 yrs ? I've only replaced a couple seals on the front wheels..

Study up on the Dealer B-4 you buy a Grey Yanmar,,,,, All dealers aren't the same, and you can get screwed BIG time !!
Fredricks has dealers that he supplies tractors ,, Not sure he has any in your area

Last edited:
   / Gray Market YM 3110D Tractor #8  
Yanmar will not support any grey market tractor,, There are some parts suppliers such as Hoye, Fredricks Equipment, .. Fredricks would be the best bang for your buck if you want a Grey Yanmar,, He does the best reconditioning of a grey Yanmar & uses a U.S. built loader..

If this dealer told him the tractor only has 800 original hrs... He is lying !!

I have a Fredricks tractor that I've had for 8 yrs ? I've only replaced a couple seals on the front wheels..

Study up on the Dealer B-4 you buy a Grey Yanmar,,,,, All dealers aren't the same, and you can get screwed BIG time !!
Fredricks has dealers that he supplies tractors ,, Not sure he has any in your area

Kenmack, you seem awfully critical of this company, "Tractorco.com" with no facts to back anything up...
I can tell you, and anyone interested, I have been to the Thorp shop and met Mitch, the owner, and Butch, was the mechanic back then bout 10 years ago..I seen his pic on the sight he's probably still there, he collected and showed antique tractors if I remember correctly....very nice folks, no pressure is a understatement, I have never heard anything bad about them , Thorp is a very small town.

/ Gray Market YM 3110D Tractor #9  
Kenmack, you seem awfully critical of this company, "Tractorco.com" with no facts to back anything up...
I can tell you, and anyone interested, I have been to the Thorp shop and met Mitch, the owner, and Butch, was the mechanic back then bout 10 years ago..I seen his pic on the sight he's probably still there, he collected and showed antique tractors if I remember correctly....very nice folks, no pressure is a understatement, I have never heard anything bad about them , Thorp is a very small town.

I believe I have waaaay more insight than you about grey market tractors, and how they are reconditioned ,and sold

Critical ?? Go to the yanmar /grey section of this site ,and just ask..
I just don't believe his statement of 800 original hrs on a 30++ yr old tractor

They are most likely refurbed in Vietnam..If he is so great, why doesn't yanmar let him sell under the yanmar name ??

I take it you know nothing about grey tractors, and have done little to no research on them either

If you believe his story, Send me some $$ through the mail.. I've got some property I need to sell

I see you weren't too impressed with his operation.. You didn't buy 1

Last edited:
   / Gray Market YM 3110D Tractor #10  
I believe I have waaaay more insight than you about grey market tractors, and how they are reconditioned ,and sold

Critical ?? Go to the yanmar /grey section of this site ,and just ask.. Any grey owner that has been here for some time will also tell you this person isn't telling the truth about the hours if, he is stating the 800 hrs are original..

They are refurbed in Vietnam..If he is so great, why doesn't yanmar let him sell under the yanmar name ??
I take it you know nothing about grey tractors, and have done little to no research on them either

Why do you think yanmar will not allow him to sell under the yanmar name ??

If you believe his story, Send me some $$ through the mail.. I've got some property I need to sell

I see you weren't too impressed with his operation.. You didn't buy 1

OK smart guy, You paid as much for your tractor as you could have got one through tractorco with a loader..I wasn't looking to buy a tractor at the time, I was looking for a job.

When I was ready to buy a tractor...I was going to buy new, He was selling TYM....I opted for Kioti....my choice, nothing to do with his company..... smart guy:laughing: