Comparison Zero Turn Mower Shopping

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #21  
i know you might have to do more research, but look into the wheel motors that drive the machine. years ago i had an exmark before toro bought them out and had no problems with it at all. it had the 25 hp kohler COMMAND engine which is the 1500- 2000 hour engine. was told then to go with exmark because they were the best and had the best wheel drive motors. also had 1/8 in deck with 1/4" steel 1" metal around bottom of deck. buy the best you can afford.

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #22  
tell you what, I don't care for the front spindle to wheel arrangement at all. Looks flimsy. More than once I've gotten up against a fence post or tree with the front wheels of my M60 tank and I was glad the front spindles were stout. I've even rolled a front tire off the rim with no damage. Those spindles don't look to me like they would take much of an impact. Neat looking....you bet. Stout, I don't believe so. The other thing I don't care for are the aluminum 'mag' rear wheels. I've learned over the years that grass cuttings are acidic. That aluminum will go to heck real quick. I'll take my low maintenance steel rears anyday.

Cub Cadet sells a pile of Professional Lawn Care Zero Turn mowers for a good reason, they last and are easily serviceable. Mine is over 5 years old, mowing 7 plus acres every summer with only minor repairs and new Gator Mulcher Blades every year. The Tank ain't cheap (depending on power options with the Kubota Diesel being the expensive option), but my Kawasaki has been bulletproof though it's not miserly on gas.

BTW, I run Shell Rotella 5-40 Synthetic in my Kawasaki and always have. Last time I checked, the hour meter was showing just under 700 hours.
I read a few others that thought the front spindles look weak. After seeing one in person they said no not weak. Just a new comer on the block..can't hurt. From the reviews of owners it look like Spartan may be here to stay...Like I said I don't work there or make any money for dropping their name.

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #23  
Any thought about buying a Toro zero turn? Mine has the 23hp Kawasaki motor and in the 4 years I've had it, all I've had to replace is the choke cable. Very reliable, well built unit.

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #24  
I have a Toro ZTR. I bought it 2008 and have 950 hours use on it. I have replaced the PTO clutch (freak thing-the receptacle that held the wiring harness broke, and the clutch had to replaced-new models have a replaceable receptacle), one spindle, and the valve cover gaskets. That's all. It has the 23 hp Kawasaki engine.

Will

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #25  
Truth is that most of the good zero turns use the same components.
Parker pumps or Hydro gear z3200 or z5400 drives
B&S,Kohler or Kawasaki engines
Carlisle or Kenda tires
That leaves deck, spindles,frame,seat,blades and controls that might be different but most of these things do not affect reliability. Well spindles make a difference.

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #26  
I went to the Spartan website and look at them. I saw they have maintenance free spindles. IMO, thats a big no. I want to be able to grease the spindles, thats what takes all the abuse. I was referring to the front caster spindles with the laser cut sides. Looks nice. Strong, I doubt it.

When I shopped Zero Turn mowers and bought the Tank, I shopped grease fittings first, engines second and decks third. I have the formed deck on my Tank and I've never had an issue with rust or strength but I do clean it prior to putting it away for the winter and oil it down.

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #27  
The Spartan has double braced casters rather than a single plate and a shoulder bolt, so it will probably be fine. The smallest machine weighs about 1150lbs so it should be pretty solid. The founder used to be a partner in Bad Boy and they have a reputation for being pretty stout machines.

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #28  
I just purchased a Hustler Raptor Zero Turn three weeks ago. Dealer is nearby, but the main reason I chose this unit is the flip up mowing deck!

I'm 70 years old and just had a hip joint replaced last week. I sure wasn't planning on getting down on my hands and knees to change blades or wash out the deck. Move one pin and pull a lever. Then press the switch to flip the deck to a straight up and down position. I can change blades from almost a standing position. Kohler 26HP engine.

It might not last as long as some commercial models but to me the convenience is a worthwhile trade off.

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #29  
I had the same requirement when I bought the JD 190 lawn tractor. Spindle bearings still went bad. When I took it apart to rebuild the bearings, they were sealed bearings and the grease I was pumping into them could not get into the bearings. When I put new bearings in I removed the seal on the bearings that are towards the inside and have not had any trouble since. I ended up doing all three spindles that way.

I found the same thing with my JD170, and also pulled the inside seals. Was later told by JD dealer ship that the grease inside the spindle was to prevent moisture from getting into the spindle.:confused:Considering that my neighbor who is a retired master industrial mechanic and millwright and he was puzzled by why the inner seals were there as well as the grease fitting, I think I would call bull pucky on that explanation!

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #30  
I just purchased a Hustler Raptor Zero Turn three weeks ago. Dealer is nearby, but the main reason I chose this unit is the flip up mowing deck!

It might not last as long as some commercial models but to me the convenience is a worthwhile trade off.

I have enjoyed my SCAG TigerCat 52" for 3 years now. Don't think a lighter rig would hold up to my rough 6 acres of mowing but I think Gary may be on to something if you are truly mowing a lawn. I change blades fairly often and have the routine down fairly well but I'm mobility challenged and I sure wish mine had the roll up deck. I've heard some Kubota's do this as well.

Last edited: