Comparison Zero Turn Mower Shopping

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #42  
I was at the Kubota dealer yesterday looking again at a Z125SKH-54. The salesman said I might consider pulling a grooming mower with the B2650HSD as it is cheaper and does a good job. The question now is about maneuverability in the orchard, you know, getting around the trees. Any thoughts on this?

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #43  
I always thought my Landpride 60" rear discharge mower cut well, but there were too many places that required a lot of backing and turning to cut around stuff like power poles and trees. My zero turn is 54" rather than the 60" but the ability to trim around objects and follow rock edging more than makes up for the loss of width. Unless you don't need to cut around all the trees in an orchard I can't imagine that using a finish mower on a tractor would be much fun.

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #44  
I always thought my Landpride 60" rear discharge mower cut well, but there were too many places that required a lot of backing and turning to cut around stuff like power poles and trees. My zero turn is 54" rather than the 60" but the ability to trim around objects and follow rock edging more than makes up for the loss of width. Unless you don't need to cut around all the trees in an orchard I can't imagine that using a finish mower on a tractor would be much fun.

GaryM, that is the conclusion I reached earlier today. I decided pulling the mower would be most difficult around the trees (plus have to very careful not to strike the trees), tractor + mower is pretty long too. So I did buy a Kubota 125 kommander with 54 inch cut. It has a ROPS but still is much lower than the B2650, more maneuverable too.

It will be delivered in a few weeks as I don't need it for a while.

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #45  
I just purchased a Hustler Raptor Zero Turn three weeks ago. Dealer is nearby, but the main reason I chose this unit is the flip up mowing deck!

I'm 70 years old and just had a hip joint replaced last week. I sure wasn't planning on getting down on my hands and knees to change blades or wash out the deck. Move one pin and pull a lever. Then press the switch to flip the deck to a straight up and down position. I can change blades from almost a standing position. Kohler 26HP engine.

It might not last as long as some commercial models but to me the convenience is a worthwhile trade off.

Gary, I had a garden tractor that would constantly clog up the deck, and I'd have to pull the deck out from under it, flip it over, scrape it, flip it back over, and re-install it. A total PITA. So, I sold it and bought a Grasshopper 729BT front-mount mower with the PowerFold deck.

That fold-up deck is the greatest thing since the invention of lubricated condoms. I can fold it up, change the blades and clean under there without breaking my back. What a blessing.

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping
My local kubota dealer said the 42 inch deck is the mower kubota puts a Kawasaki engine in. I'm just not sure if the 42 inch deck is going to work for my situation. If Bad Boy would give me the cash price and let me finance it.....the 48 inch deck (EZ Elite) would be at my house yesterday.

/ Zero Turn Mower Shopping #47  
I took delivery on the Kommander Z125 and I like it. Took an orientation cruise around the yard, then engaged PTO and went right for the orchard. Grass was a foot tall and thick and the mower walked right through it. Kohler engine was strong and smooth, not like the 20hp I had in the lawn tractor I had. This should work just fine.