david brown 885?

/ david brown 885? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Anyone got any info. tips, warnings about a david brown 885?

What dealers service/ carry parts for this? I assume it is an orphan?

Soundguy

/ david brown 885? #2  
No,it's not an orphan. Case bought DB in the early 1970s,so parts are available at your local CIH dealer. Is it gas or diesel?

DB tractors are very well engineered for their time. But a little different at how they get things done. Very good dependable tractors that are grossly underated in the US. They do not like contaminated fluids,moreso than some brands. The shifter boots leaking are one of the biggest troubles with them.Try getting ahold of Elmer at his DB site for more info. www.davidbrowntractortips.com

/ david brown 885? #3  
back in the 70's we tried a 1410 case david brown 80hp 12 speed syncro trans nice tractor, no sheet metal to hide anything plian as you could get,built rugged, Ih beat the price so away went the case db.

/ david brown 885? #4  
Soundguy,

My dad has a DB 990. I assume it is a tic up from an 885. Bought it in 74. Still going quite strong. Is the primary farm tractor for him. Has had the clutch worked on a few times (maybe rebuilt once), it seems finicky with regards to corroding the battery cables, and really liking a good cable, also has had to have the remote hydraulics rebuilt a few times. But no other problems at all. Yes, parts are available at the IH dealer, though the shop that dad has is work done is where he bought the tractor in the first place, from the guy he bought it from. Not sure how many more years that option is going to be available. I'd recommend a DB, with the usual reservations on used equipment.

The DB is "my brothers" tractor. "Mine" is the Ford 800. Dad had to buy the 2 bulldozers so "he" could have a tractor.

Nick

/ david brown 885? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The DB is "my brothers" tractor. "Mine" is the Ford 800. Dad had to buy the 2 bulldozers so "he" could have a tractor.)</font> Nick, was there supposed to be a picture attached to this post? Did I miss it somewhere? I wanna see!! Thanks, John

/ david brown 885? #6  
At one time I was contacted by a fellow in Scotland that had a David Brown and he was telling me that at one time David Brown got some of their smaller tractors from Satoh like the Satoh S650G. If you have ever seen a 650G they even look like some of the later model DB's. I don't know if there is anything to it or not.

/ david brown 885? #8  
We have a 1969 DB 885. Does anyone know, is there a reliable users manual on the net?

/ david brown 885? #9  
A DB 885 owner's manual was available from CaseIH a very few years ago for less than a lousy reprint from a major retailer of lousy reprints. Many parts are avaialble from CaseIH, Sparex, and a few others. Some stuff is NLA and I wouldn't touch a gas powered David Brown with a 10 foot pole. I happen to own a 1976 Case 885 which is a rebadged DB. Bought it to fix and flip, but 8 years later it is my most-used tractor here. 2 speed PTO runs my Winpower alternator during power outages supplying the entire house on 1/2 gal of diesel per hour. Check 3PT and hyd function as mentioned by Ken.

/ david brown 885? #10  
I had one years back. Rain water would run down the shift lever past the boot and into the tranny and hydraulics. You would have a system full of milk white emulsion that would freeze in the winter. Park it inside or stick a bucket over the lever and it was OK. Had diff lock and draft control and did a lot of work for what I paid for it.