JD/Kubota/Kioti

/ JD/Kubota/Kioti #1  

Hawghauler

Silver Member
Tractor
none at the momement
I am in the market for a smaller tractor for small acreage in Florida. Field mowing a few acres, pushing horse manure and dirt around occasionally, and that is about it for now. I sadly must shop remotely using the net as my guide as I am out of country. I am currently researching and discussing my options with three dealers. I would welcome your opinions on the following three machines, particularly for durability. The JD dealer told me this machine would not accommodate a backhoe and that it was not rugged enough to operate one. As I cannot physically see them, I was wondering if the JD was a glorified lawn mower and not in the same league? I am getting quotes and the JD appears to be the cheapest thus far. Please give me your opinions and I certainly would entertain other brands/options. I will get a loader, box blade and brush hog/field mower to start with.

Kubota L3901HST
Kioti CK3510 (hydro)
John Deere 3038E

/ JD/Kubota/Kioti #2  
I am in the market for a smaller tractor for small acreage in Florida. Field mowing a few acres, pushing horse manure and dirt around occasionally, and that is about it for now. I sadly must shop remotely using the net as my guide as I am out of country. I am currently researching and discussing my options with three dealers. I would welcome your opinions on the following three machines, particularly for durability. The JD dealer told me this machine would not accommodate a backhoe and that it was not rugged enough to operate one. As I cannot physically see them, I was wondering if the JD was a glorified lawn mower and not in the same league? I am getting quotes and the JD appears to be the cheapest thus far. Please give me your opinions and I certainly would entertain other brands/options. I will get a loader, box blade and brush hog/field mower to start with.

Kubota L3901HST
Kioti CK3510 (hydro)
John Deere 3038E

None of those are glorifies lawn mowers. They are tractors. The E deere is the no frills model and has limitations over the R series. So maybe check the R for comparison.

/ JD/Kubota/Kioti #3  
I got a L3200 (same as the L3901 minus tier 4 emissions junk & about 6hp). Good machine & I'm happy with it, except for the lack of a cab. The Kubota has more features & weight compared to the JD. Turning brakes, folding ROPS, 3 spd tyranny instead of 2 spd, etc. The JD & Kubota you listed are otherwise very similar & competitive. I just think the Kubota is a bit better. They are both real tractors & definitely several notches above anything that could be considered a lawnmower. The L3xx series in Kubota is the smallest of the real tractors, the BX is a toy & the B is a lawn tractor.

In an apples to apples comparison, a Kioti will be a fair bit cheaper than Kubota or JD & they make a quality machine. Kioti is known for higher than average loader capacities & strong front axles. If they had a cabled machine in that size, I'd be looking at it when I upgrade.

Remember, weight defines what a tractor will do, HP just defines how fast it will do it. Heavier = better. The Kubota needs loaded rear tires to get the power to the ground & to make the machine more stable. I'd be surprised if the JD & Kioti were any different.

/ JD/Kubota/Kioti
Thanks. I had a Kioti DS4110 a couple years ago, was a good machine, sold it when we moved. The JD dealer told me Deere is getting a lot more aggressive and price competitive, without kicking the tires myself, I wasn't sure. He worried me when he said the machine wasn't physically fit to handle a backhoe. I probably won't get a backhoe, but the thought of a machine being too wimpy put me off. The FEL capacity on the JD was significantly less than the Kioti according to the JD salesman. I would load the rear tires as SOP. Wish I kept the DS4110 when I moved. BTW, the Kubota dealer had a written quote to us in an hour, was impressed by that. The good news is, I get to build a shop now that I am getting a tractor. BONUS! Naturally I will need a split unit, sofa, move all my tools in, killer lighting, motorcycle lift, gun safe, 220v service, welder and compressor to keep the tractor company. Will also need a vintage refrigerator and a stray shop cat to keep the pests under control. There are many side effects to getting a tractor. It is written.

/ JD/Kubota/Kioti #5  
The big negatives (to me) for the 3038E is the aluminum transmission and rear axle housing along with the 2-range HST. I just don't see aluminum housings as the way to go on tractors bigger than a riding mower. That's also probably why you can't put a backhoe on it. Similarly, I don't know why they insist on putting 2-range transmissions on smaller tractors. The high range can only be used for transport, and the low range is slow. Most people with compact tractors seem to report spending the most time in the middle range except when doing serious work like digging into a dirt pile.

For me that would narrow it to the Kubota or Kioti. The additional 700lbs of lift capacity, and 4" of lift height (which makes the lift capacity difference even greater) would put the Kioti in the lead. The treadle HST peddle on the Kubota would also be a major drawback. I prefer two peddles on the right, with the split brake pedals on the left.

/ JD/Kubota/Kioti #7  
The Kubota and the JD are economy models. The JD is stripped down made of cheaper materials. The Al trannys are insufficient to handle a BH, and have had problems. I know a guy who bought one, and had to have engine replaced because a known defect spilled oil all over his garage. I've said this before, JD makes good tractors. I'm doing annual maintenance for my neighbor on her 4510, and it's a heck of a tractor. But every brand has bad spots, and the E series is the one for JD. I would not buy one. They are cheap for a reason. The Rs are impressive, but insanely expensive.

Kubota- I liked the previous series, it just wasn't quite what I was looking for. I know nothing about the new ones, but haven't heard anything bad. They are de-optioned, but if they have what you want, good tractor. The grand Ls (3560) are the deluxe option, also pricey.

Kioti - The CK offered a middle ground between the deluxe version and the economy versions of other brands that was not available in those brands. The CK10 has less standard options, is Tier 4, but has better loader. Still probably a good middle tractor. In your situation, I'd forget the JD, lean toward the Kioti, but consider the Kubota.

Remember the JD and Kubota are economy models, and the CK is not. That probably explains price differences.
Final note, tractor shopping is best done in person. By all means research remotely, but don't make a decision until you have sat on your final choice and any close contenders. Things look way different on a computer screen than they do in person. Absolutely go hands on and do not buy sight unseen.

/ JD/Kubota/Kioti #8  
Wow- looks like you have gotten some solid feedback. Everything written so far pretty much validates what my humble opinions would be. Might you be wanting a cab? No matter, I think I would second a Kioti, or a Kubota, for the reasons given above, but hopefully you can kick some tires before committing. The Kubota Grand L tractors are top-notch, but I don't know about cost vs. value for an individual's needs.

/ JD/Kubota/Kioti #9  
The economy Kubota's aren't just deoptioned Grand models. They have different (lighter) frames, different trannies & are completely different machines. Pretty sure it's the same with the economy vs. premium JO'S.

Despite liking my L3200, I am planning on replacing it with a premium cabled model here at some point. I want a cab & a few more bells & whistles, so that isn't a knock on my current machine. The only reason I'm not looking at a Kioti is because they don't offer a 3,000 type series machine with a cab. Their smallest cabled machines are just a bit too big for my needs. At this point I'm kicking tires on JD, Kubota, LS & TYM. JD & Kubota have a much better reputation & resale value, but you pay for it. They are better machines than LS, Kioti & TYM, but not by much & it's very debatable if their cost premium is worth it.

I do prefer my 3 range HST. I'm normally in M & depending on traction, you can spin the tires in M. You only ever hit High range for roading. Low is for serious work or precision work (not putting a fork through a window in my truck when loading something). It's 50/50 as to whether I can get a full bucket of dirt from a packed pile in M or have to drop to L.

Whatever you get make sure it has a SSQA on the loader. Takes a minute tops to swap from bucket to pallet forks, plow or whatever. My bucket is my least used impliment.

Others have mentioned the treadle go pedal instead of separate go fwd & go reverse pedals as a deal breaker... Personally I like the treadle design, but 2 separate pedals isn't a deal breaker. Try before you buy & see what you like.

/ JD/Kubota/Kioti #10  
I own several Kubotas and really like them, my brother likes his Kioti, of course I like his Kioti and he uses and likes my Kubotas, great quality on both. Given the models listed, I lean towards the Kioti. I looked at the Kioti website and it does not appear to have both brakes on the left, so I'm a bit confused. As to treadle vs dual, I use both and it's no big deal either way. My wife however hates the side by side, so different strokes.

CK351H Value Tractor | Kioti Tractors