Buying Advice Planning on a new tractor next springng

/ Planning on a new tractor next springng #1  

jon edwards

Silver Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 75C, john deere 1520, Polaris 900 XP
I want to upgrade my tractor next spring. I have 41.9 acres. Most of it is in hay and I have four big shelter belts. I primarily use my tractor for maintaining the shelter belts and mowing. I would like a big enough machine to move and load round bales. I will also use it to plow snow and other misc chores.

I feel like my price point is 50k. The tractor I want is a JD 5100e. I can't get that for what I have to spend. My next choice would be a JD 5085e. The only way for me to get either of these is to buy used. That seems like a lot to spend on a used unit with no warranty. I could get a JD 5075e new, but it doesn't seem to get the best reviews. I would love to get a new tractor with a warranty.

I'd like feedback on any of these models and on buying new vs used.

Thanks

/ Planning on a new tractor next springng #2  
Well, there are other brands beside JD, contrary to what they want you to think.

There is Case IH and New Holland. I had a chance to look at the NH 75HP and was impressed, not sure what the price was. Also the IH 75C. Not sure what the prices are on these, but suspect they might be a little high.

Kubota has the Ms, several series, they might have something in your range. The M60s are nice, but pricey.

LS makes higher HP tractors, good pricing on those. You'd have to look.

Kioti makes a 90HP tractor, no idea what the price is (PX9020, I think) Also make the RX in 66 and 73HP. Very good, probably about your price point, but not sure.

I think that's about it for brands, may have missed a few. You can look at all of those online to get a feel for them. Hope this helps

Mahindra also has tractors in that range, but I know nothing about them.

/ Planning on a new tractor next springng #3  
I wouldn't want to buy anything with Tier 4 engines. To much headache and hassle for something that is supposed to be very reliable. What type of mowing are you doing and what size/weight bales are we talking? When I was looking at tractors in 2011, the 5083E deere was almost 2klbs heavier than a comparable 8560 Kubota. I knew I was going to be doing hay, tillage, and LOTS of loader work with mine. I have added rimguard to the tires and a set of wheels weights and I still need a substantial counterweight to get the max out of the loader. I have moved big square bales and round bales with the 563 loader and have had no issues with its use. If you look at an open station tractor, it should be considerably cheaper option.

/ Planning on a new tractor next springng #4  
You should be able to get a 85e with loader and cab for the low fifties and the 0% financing. Comparison to used unless you are paying cash you may come out better with new.

/ Planning on a new tractor next springng
Thanks guys. Good points. I need to be able to move 1200 plus # bales. I appreciate the feedback. I really need a cab set up. My current tractor doesn't have one and I look like Pig Pen rototilling. I am going to repost in the JD section.

Thanks-Jon

/ Planning on a new tractor next springng #6  
I was able to buy my MF 4610 for 52k a year ago. It's a 100 HP with cab and loader. I love it. It's a beast and well built.They have managed to stick a ton of power into 3 cylinders that is actually quite easy on fuel. A very comfortable tractor to operate.

I looked at Kubota at the same time. They wanted 42k for almost 10k less. My MF was way more tractor for just a fraction more. I encourage you to look into MF.

/ Planning on a new tractor next springng #7  
I would just look up those JD numbers to find what they correspond to in the OTHER brand names that Kukje contract builds for.
In this emblem engineering world you can probably save 25 or 30% with the "Green and yellow paint delete" option.

/ Planning on a new tractor next springng #8  
I would just look up those JD numbers to find what they correspond to in the OTHER brand names that Kukje contract builds for.
In this emblem engineering world you can probably save 25 or 30% with the "Green and yellow paint delete" option.

Yeah, JD isn't your only option. It is probably the more expensive option. The green paint is expensive apparently.

/ Planning on a new tractor next springng #9  
Kioti RX or PX series, also the LS P-Series

/ Planning on a new tractor next springng
Thanks for the advice. I have been doing some research on buying and one of the points was to narrow the choice down to a couple of models. I picked these because I had some familiarity with them. And there is a dealer in Lewistown where I live. Ultimately I would like to buy a tractor that I can keep for 25 plus years and I don't want to outgrow it.

I do have some time though, so looking at this other brands is a good idea.