smaller new tractor or larger used one?

/ smaller new tractor or larger used one? #1  

zimm23

Tractor
none
I think I've narrowed my search for my first tractor down to a couple options:

New L2501. I have a quote for a L2501 HST with loader, forks and box scraper for about $18,700. Two year warranty from Kubota and 0% financing.

OR

Used L3800 with about 250 hours on it. Loader, mower, box scraper for about $17,200. Obviously no warranty and would have to get financing through my credit union so will be paying interest on it.

I'd like the warranty with the new tractor if I'm paying that much. And known history is nice. But, 13 more horses is real tempting. However, I'm not sure if my dealer is blowing smoke but he said they've tested the PTO power on the L2501 and were getting 30 horse out of it. That's a question I'm going to bring up in the Kubota forum but, if that's true, I'd definitely go with the new L2501.

I'm looking to maintain a pretty gnarly half mile gravel driveway and then use it on my five acres. It's a small farm so typical stuff - digging post holes, moving manure and hay, consolidating burn piles, hauling small logs, scraping an area for a small barn and round pen... I don't think I need to go overboard with a big tractor but I've learned the right tool for the job makes all the difference in work being enjoyable or a pain in the A.

I'm not interested in the new L3301 or 3901s. I just am too gun shy about the tier 4 emissions until they've been out for a few years to work the bugs out. I'm not very familiar with tractor emissions but I've noticed the new more-regulated diesels we use at work definitely have ghosts in the machine, so to speak. I'm not eager to get new technology - I'm already tech challenged enough.

What would you recommend?

(and this particular L3800 could get snapped up by someone else who I waffle but the idea is the same - get an older L series with the 33+ horsepower)

/ smaller new tractor or larger used one? #2  
Bigger is better, especially when moving stuff in the loader. The new one won't stay new. And the 0% isn't free - it's built in to the price.

/ smaller new tractor or larger used one? #3  
Is the L3800 HST also, and does that matter? (make or break for many, et moi)

Does the L3800 have a DPF? :)yuck:) Perhaps better resale value if not. :cool:

IMO turf tires would not be a deal killer, esp if you keep/use the MMM.

Your CU should give you good financing, terms, etc and likely a lower rate, esp if borrowing against shares. (typically much less paperwork that way, or specific insurance required)

Got 5 ac or more? Then IMO bigger is way better. btw, should also move snow MUCH better if you see that often. :)

/ smaller new tractor or larger used one? #4  
First off, I don't believe the dealers claim...

Secondly, 250 hrs is no hours at all, I'd be dealing on the bigger tractor!

SR

/ smaller new tractor or larger used one? #5  
   / smaller new tractor or larger used one? #6  
I have heard that some of the smaller tractors claim less than 25 hp to keep it under the limit for the tier 4 restrictions but produce more.

/ smaller new tractor or larger used one? #7  
I have heard that some of the smaller tractors claim less than 25 hp to keep it under the limit for the tier 4 restrictions but produce more.

No - that's VW....

No manufacturer is going to do that. That's some salesperson's dream. "Well, the new F-150 can actually carry 43 tons, or tow 2.8 million pounds - but we de-rate them to keep your registration fees down." If the engine produces 34hp, they'll claim 34hp.

/ smaller new tractor or larger used one? #8  
There is a video where Ted from everything attachments is able to turn up the PTO horsepower using a dyno machine and turning up the fuel. I don't really understand how you do that and not sure that a dealer would do that, but apparently it is possible.

/ smaller new tractor or larger used one? #9  
You will love the HST .Plain and simple

/ smaller new tractor or larger used one? #10  
I see you mentioned manure, do you have large animals such as cows/horses etc? Large rolls of hay would take more size than the L2501 (That is the model that I have with shuttle shift). I like mine and it does just about everything that I need it to do although it has groaned a few times...lol. :laughing: Just thinking out loud trying to help with your decision.