RimGuard - Yes or No?

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #21  
<font color="blue">Rim guard is also heavier than calcium filled tires 1 gallon of ballast star which is what we use. [same product] is 10.3 pounds per gallon. </font>

I think, but don't know for sure, that "about the same" is probably more accurate than 'heavier."

The Goodyear link I pointed to above, specs 3.5 or 5 lb calcium per gallon. 5 lb per gallon give a 28% increase in weight over plain water. My calculations say that would be 10.66 lbs per gallon. Or about the same... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now if water does not weigh 8.3 lbs per gallon my number would be proportionally wrong...The marketing people for the alternative product would certainly use the lower 3.5 lb per gallon, and that would make the original statement true...

So it all depends...

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #22  
I think you will find that these products are a couple pounds heavier than a calcium filled tire. I remember reading this some place I cant remember for sure what the reason was but ballast star or rim guard put more weight in the tire than just calcium and water.

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #23  
junkman sorry just got home, the reason is to keep frost heaves down to a min. and it keeps the reclaim from feezing solid. As a beifit it compacts like a rock. reclaim is nothing more than runing (Reclaimer a giant rototiller that grindes aspalt) and mixes it with the gravel under the aspalt useualy 8-10" deep, then regrade and repave. when the cacl truck arives we till in cacl at 6-8". The reclaimer we have is CMI 650,witch is 650 hp v 12 cat motor, drum has 300 carbide teeth at $4.50 a piece, they usualy last about 1500-2500 feet. of course that depends on rocks or leadge. man holes also do a number on them if you find a burried one,but the man hole cover is junk also. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #24  
Bill

Maybe you realize this, but the 3.5 to 5 # per gallon refers to how much you add. You could just as easily 4 or 6 # of the power. I have 1 tractor with calcium and 1 with RimGuard. The 2120 has calcium since 1987 does have some corrosion of the area around the valuve stems from minor leakage. The calcium does kill what ever it touches.

Andy

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #25  
WW fluid in small amounts, (washing your windshield) is not an issue. My tires each hold 50 gallons, a 50 gallon spill of methanol seems like a disaster to me. I know the CaCl will kill the grass if it leaks, but it's just salt water.

Airports use methanol for deicing and they reclaim 90%+.

Quote from the web:
Methanol is extremely toxic. Exposure to very small amounts of methanol (less than one cup)have been known to cause blindness and permanent injury including death. Exposure to methanol can occur through inhalation of vapor, or through ingestion or skin contact with the liquid fuel.

I'll stick with CaCl.

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #26  
<font color="blue"> Maybe you realize this, but the 3.5 to 5 # per gallon refers to how much you add. You could just as easily 4 or 6 # of the power. </font>

Yes that makes sense. I had to use the lbs/gal that Goodyear used because they also gave % weight increase for them, and that made calculation of the weight/gallon possible... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #27  
The alcohol in WW fluid is extremely diluted. There is only enough alcohol in it to stop it from freezing and make it more effective as a cleaner. You can also buy WW fluid without the methonal... some use isopropyl instead. Any WW fluid that isnt in a child resistant container cannot use methonal.

CaCl is not table salt, that is NaCl. Don't think it's particularly harmful but I would not want to eat any of it either.

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #28  
OK, where can I buy it, to load myself?

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #29  
jas67 said:
OK, where can I buy it, to load myself?

If you are referring to RimGuard you should check with a local tractor shop. Be prepared for sticker shock as prices for the beet juice have gone way up since this thread was started four years ago. I recall something between $3 and $4 per gallon about nine months ago.

Windshield washer fluid is also more than 2 bucks a gallon now.

CaCl is still cheap and still has the same disadvantages as always but remains a popular choice due to economics.

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #30  
I loaded my rear tires with Sierra anti-freeze and water. Sierra is supposed to be enviromentaly friendly. I live in and area that does not get hard freezes, so I only put 1 gal. of Sierra in each rear tire. I got the valves for filling at NAPA.