RimGuard - Yes or No?

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #1  

JCA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7510
Hi folks,

I've almost made a deal on a compact tractor; one question is the loaded tires. I asked for a quote on rimguard-loaded tires - $350 extra. Sounds like a lot to me.

I've got some pretty hilly land, but I've also got some springs--areas that are always wet. So while the extra weight would be good in some instances, it might not be so good in others. I'll be using the tractor mostly for blowing snow, grading, chipping, and carrying firewood and stuff in the bucket (plus all those other uses I haven't thought of yet). I figure that if I decide the rimguard would be good, I can probably get it for that price on the first service, or from a different dealer, later on, right?

So I'm inclined, for now, to skip the loaded tires and save the money. Anyone think I'd be making a mistake? I don't intend to take chances on those hills anyway.

Thanks,
Jim

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #2  
I say go for the RimGuard. My TN has it in it and I don't know what it cost originally because my dealer won't even well a tractor with loader without loading the tires without the buyer signing a wavier. I did pay $140 for RimGuard when I lost all of it in 1 tire due to a puncture. If you ever do get a puncture, park with hole on top and jack weight off tire. You'll usually loose less than 25%. RimGuard is about $2 / gallon and there is also time to install it so the price sounds ok. Good luck with your new purchase.

Andy

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #3  
Jim, when you say 350 extra is that above the cost of tires loaded with something else? or is that the total cost of loading the tires?

Mike

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #4  
Jim adding additional weight to your tractor is a choice that we all make at one time or another. Some members opt for the permanent liquid ballast and some of us opt for the bolt on cast iron weight. Whatever your final choice is just remember that the liquid ballast is considered permanent while cast can easily be removed whenever necessary.

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #5  
I have antifreeze in mine. I would consider windshield washer fluid as well. Both are a lot cheaper. I paid $30 to get my rears filled. For $350 I would consider buying cast iron weights instead since they are removable and dont leak out if you get a flat.

/ RimGuard - Yes or No?
Poppa,

$350 is the cost of loading the tires, period.

One dealership I talked to said that they offered rim guard at their cost, which I think was around $100. Then again, their tractors cost more. So I guess it evens out....

Thanks,
Jim

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #7  
Jim my dealer inciuded calceum cloried filled in price. with a loader it's pretty much standard practice to fill rears,it is recomended by most manufactures. calceum has been fine for years when done right. i can't figure out the hype on other fluids. i don't know weight of rim gaurd but whasher fliud does't come close to calceum in weight per gal. it is still standard practice in constuctin and farm equipment. i have not seen roted rim in my years around tractors,40+. I have seen roted front rims on an old JD b and h though no liquid and built before my time.

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #8  
<font color="blue"> i don't know weight of rim gaurd but whasher fliud does't come close to calceum in weight per gal. </font>

Granted a salt+water solution would weigh more than plain water or WW fluid...but how much more?

Found the answer here...good article about 2/3 down the document.

Answer is that calcium increases the weight of the liquid 20% to 28% over plain water, at additions of 3.5 and 5 lbs per gallon respectively.

Calcium solution is heavier, but ww fluid or plain water still aren't too shabby, when compaired to air... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't know the weight of Rimguard either... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( i can't figure out the hype on other fluids. i don't know weight of rim gaurd but whasher fliud does't come close to calceum in weight per gal. )</font>

I can tell you why I went with windshield washer fluid.
1. I had easy access to ww fluid and could fill the tires myself for around $90.
2. Didn't feel the need to break down the tire and add a tube like would be nessasary with calcium.
3. I added 40 gal of ww fluid per rear tire, which was all the weight I needed.

/ RimGuard - Yes or No? #10  
I think, but too lazy to look it up that water comes in at about 8 lbs per gallon. According to the rimguard site, Rimguard comes in at about 10.7 lbs per gallon or an increase of about 30 percent.

Mike