Grasshopper 722d

/ Grasshopper 722d #1  

tlj87

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700, Kubota BX2370-1, Kubota RTV1140CPX, Kubota F3060, Club Car Precedent
I have a loaner 2005 Grasshopper 722d with 61" powerfold deck while my Kubota is having a repair made to it. The GH takes 1/2 the time to mow with and it's comfortable to use. The dealer just got it in on trade and I've looked it over and it needs some work. I might be interested in it if I can get it cheap. From my analysis, it needs 2 deck idler pullys, center deck roller, new front mower gauge wheels (one is bent/warped and the bearing is getting bad in the other), a new grass deflector, PTO shaft front pillow bearing, rubble nozzle for air cleaner intake, and a paint job on the deck -- about $275 in parts from my online searching. The machine runs well, and appears to have been serviced, but isn't immaculate by any means. The parking brake appears to need adjusting (doesn't hold) and the motion levers aren't quite in sync. Any ideas on the value?

/ Grasshopper 722d #2  
how many hrs? what engine make? service log? the repairs seem straightforward but might be an indication of neglected maintenance. if the engine/hyd seem in good shape, it could be a good deal. grasshopper is a respected ZT. sorry can't help on value, price a comparable new one & go from there....or check ebay prices on same.... or take it to a respected ZT mechanic & have him go through it. good luck

/ Grasshopper 722d
Kubota 902 Diesel engine. 725 hrs. Last engine oil change dated last month according to date written on machine.

/ Grasshopper 722d #4  
has the dealer made an offer? might also post question in lawn/garden forum as well

/ Grasshopper 722d #5  
has the dealer made an offer? might also post question in lawn/garden forum as well

/ Grasshopper 722d #6  
From my analysis it needs 2 deck idler pullys, center deck roller, new front mower gauge wheels (one is bent/warped and the bearing is getting bad in the other), a new grass deflector, PTO shaft front pillow bearing, rubble nozzle for air cleaner intake, and a paint job on the deck -- about $275 in parts from my online searching. The machine runs well, and appears to have been serviced, but isn't immaculate by any means. The parking brake appears to need adjusting (doesn't hold) and the motion levers aren't quite in sync. Any ideas on the value?

Deck idlers.. Near $100 from my Grasshopper dealer and about 1/2 hour to change out, including swallowing a beer and putting tools away. Ebay is cheaper and if you look onlineat Grainger or other parts suppliers you might find the pulleys the same price.

Grass Deflector.... If the frame is there and the rubber just needs replaced the a hardware store rubber mat or a heavy duty truck mud flap will work just as well. For what its worth my 723K that I bought 5 years ago used didn't have one and still doesn't have one.

Center deck roller and gauge roller..... EBAY less than $20 or scroung online parts suppliers and find rollers with the same width, bore and diameter cheaper than your Grasshopper dealer.

Deck caster (gauge wheel).. looking for them currently for mine as well and am not having much luck beating the dealers price, but even at that $60 I think for one.

Pillow block bearing... available at farm supply and online supply houses.

rubber nozzle (the duckbill)... available at any mower shop, less than $10 I think

Paint job. Over the winter remove the mower, sand/grind and repaint. Rustoleum has a color that matches the Tan and Brown for about 1/4 the price of 'Grasshopper' paint.

Parking brake adjustment and steering lever adjustment is a less than 30 minute job and well outlined in the owners manual.

/ Grasshopper 722d
I talked to the dealer on the phone, he seemed to want to keep the machine as a loaner for the year and then put it in their spring auction in 2017. He said he guess he could sell it, but would have to get half the price of new for it, $7000. They picked it up from my house yesterday when they returned my BX.

If he said $4500, I probably would've jumped on it, but these machines really demand big $.

/ Grasshopper 722d #8  
The diesel engines do hold value quite well on mowers, and 725 hours isn't much at all.