Buying Advice Kubota ZD1211 or Exmark Lazer Z X series

/ Kubota ZD1211 or Exmark Lazer Z X series #1  

Chris TX to TN

Tractor
Kubota L3010
I bought a large farm in the TN hill country and want a top quality mower that is durable and will last many years. I need something that can handle a hill, an occasional rock without braking and high grass if necessary. The Kubota is diesel & Exmark is gas. I was leaning toward the Kubota even though it is more than I'd like to spend but found that the Exmark is $2,500 less which is why I turn to you experts. Is the Kubota worth $2,500 more? And I'm open to another Zero turn option if there is something better than my top 2 choices.

/ Kubota ZD1211 or Exmark Lazer Z X series #2  
apples to oranges.

diesel is worth every penny, especially if you will have the fuel around for other equipment.

/ Kubota ZD1211 or Exmark Lazer Z X series #3  
Other than a weed wacker, I haven't mowed a blade of grass with a gas engine for over 30 years. you couldn't run fast enough to give me a gas lawnmower.

I realize not for everybody but you said large farm, durable & will last many years. I think it is a no brainer. If it has many hills may want to consider a more expensive front mount mower. I had one of those also.

/ Kubota ZD1211 or Exmark Lazer Z X series #4  
Check dealers to see if they have DEMOS(low hours) or several of last years models still sitting around. My JD dealer had four 920M sitting in a warehouse, saved me a big chunk of change when i purchased it.
I asked if they had any diesel holdovers at the time, they didn't, as the previous poster's stated, you won't regret the Kabotas should you go that route.

Ronnie

Ronnie

/ Kubota ZD1211 or Exmark Lazer Z X series #5  
I agree with Messicks. The 2500 premium for diesel is worth it. If money was no object that's what I would have. Unfortunately, my wallet couldn't take the cost of new, and used diesel zero turns, assuming you can find them, hold their value stupidly well.

Remember, with gas engines, you're looking at replacement after 3,000 or so hours. Maybe Messicks or somebody could chime in with life expectancy on the diesels, but if it's like the Kubota tractor engines, then 8,000-10,000 hours sounds reasonable. So two gas engines before you might need a new diesel.

How much is an engine?

/ Kubota ZD1211 or Exmark Lazer Z X series #6  
I bought a large farm in the TN hill country and want a top quality mower that is durable and will last many years. I need something that can handle a hill, an occasional rock without braking and high grass if necessary. The Kubota is diesel & Exmark is gas. I was leaning toward the Kubota even though it is more than I'd like to spend but found that the Exmark is $2,500 less which is why I turn to you experts. Is the Kubota worth $2,500 more? And I'm open to another Zero turn option if there is something better than my top 2 choices.

Key being the hills. The Kubota will not side hilling as well as the Lazer z. Exmark is owned by Toro. Same exact mower except for the decks. Been running toro for yrs because they are like mountain goats compared to otherase z-turns.
Now as far as gas engines, my 2010 60" toro has 1500hrs on it. Granted, I Mow for a living, so most homeowners won't have that many hrs on a 6yr old mower, so it would last for yrs. My 2005 exmark had 1400 hrs when I sold it to a buddy of mine in '10, now has 1800 and going strong.

Here's a pic of my toro I picked up Monday. 6000 series, 31hp gas 72" deck with there new myride suspension system.

Attachments

• IMG_20160517_110739277.jpg
    IMG_20160517_110739277.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 1,090
   / Kubota ZD1211 or Exmark Lazer Z X series #8  
Key being the hills. The Kubota will not side hilling as well as the Lazer z. Exmark is owned by Toro. Same exact mower except for the decks. Been running toro for yrs because they are like mountain goats compared to otherase z-turns.
Now as far as gas engines, my 2010 60" toro has 1500hrs on it. Granted, I Mow for a living, so most homeowners won't have that many hrs on a 6yr old mower, so it would last for yrs. My 2005 exmark had 1400 hrs when I sold it to a buddy of mine in '10, now has 1800 and going strong.

Here's a pic of my toro I picked up Monday. 6000 series, 31hp gas 72" deck with there new myride suspension system.
How do you like the myride?

/ Kubota ZD1211 or Exmark Lazer Z X series #9  
Mad One, I'd be confident in a Kawasaki engine lasting 3000 hours if properly maintained but not sure of the Briggs or Kohler.
I would have put that number at 2000...
It would really be nice if we could get frequency of repair statistics on this equipment like we can cars and trucks.
But we can't so it's word of mouth and reading all the opinions here.

If the OP just bought a large farm, its highly likely he has other diesel tractors there, and for sure, you cannot go wrong buying a Kubota zero turn. Their front mount mowers, especially helpful if you have a lot of trees to get under, probably set the standard for the industry. Kubota and Yanmar have proven they make very reliable engines.

If your budget is already being stretched by thirty other things you need to buy, a gas mower will give you good service. They make the same heavy duty frames for the top line gas and diesel units usually so it's just a matter of which fuel you want to use. Diesel will save in a number of ways over the years, including often longer oil drain intervals which can be very helpful if you rack up the hours.

Ferris had the best riding Zero turn for a while but I think since they got bought out that tech has migrated to other lines.
Basically four wheel independent suspension with shock absorbers at each wheel. Definitely a smoother ride than just the mowers that depend up on the seat
and tires to cushion the bumps. The other name brand usually considered high quality is Hustler. There are certainly others and most have copied each other by now
they don't seem that much apart. I'm sure the top line Toro is a very good unit also.
If you want to buy a mower and know it will last you an exceptionally long time, buy the diesel Kubota. Maybe a JD if you have a close dealer.
But if money really is an object, getting a top line/heaviest frame model from half a dozen manufacturers with the Kawasaki engine could be just down to price.
If you go gas, I'd recommend an EFI engine for smoother running and slightly less fuel use.

Make sure you know clearances for trees before you buy; if you have five feet of clearance to get between some trees and a six foot deck,, well there's lots of trimming to do.

/ Kubota ZD1211 or Exmark Lazer Z X series #10  
By the way, Chris in Texas/OP, you might check with Messicks here for an online Kubota quote including shipping.
They do a large amount of that business. And their advice is excellent.