Tractor Sizing Help selecting the right series of tractor

/ Help selecting the right series of tractor #1  

wchacko

Tractor
Not Yet
Brand new to this life. Never driven a tractor in my life. New owner of a 25 acre (used to be a horse pasture with a 1 acre pond in it). Now dream of developing this property.

Need to select a tractor that can
a) move some earth around (compost and top soil)
b) clear some trenches for better drainage.
c) mow around 20 acres (just tall grass)
d) use to maintain a 1200 Ft driveway.
e) after a house is built will need to snow plow the drive way
f) mow around house (finish cut)
g) projects around the house like patio, planting 8 ft trees, gardening etc.

Soil type is Clay and the landscape is rolling hills and some marshy/wet lands.

Appreciate all feedback with models. I thought I need a tractor with FEL and a BH with mowing attachments.
Thanks in advance to all the masters out there.

IMG_6841.JPG

/ Help selecting the right series of tractor #2  
Welcome, what is your budget for a machine and attachments?

/ Help selecting the right series of tractor
I was planning around 30K. I see that JD has 0% financing for 60 months, so I want to make sure that I get the right size/kind of equipment. In it for the long haul. Thanks

/ Help selecting the right series of tractor #4  
Design your garage with a door tall enough for the tractor to enter with the ROPS up.

If you need to fold the ROPS to enter, you will forget occasionally and bang up the garage trim. That will make your spouse angry. Then you will forget the ROPS again, and she will be livid. Then.......

I suggest a tractor with a bare-tractor weight of 2,600 to 3,000 pounds. In the Kubota product line that would be an L3301 with 33-horsepower or an L3901 with 37.5-horsepower, both on the same chassis. All new tractors in this class come with 4-WD standard and a Three Point Hitch which includes a Power Takeoff (PTO). This is a very popular tractor class and all tractor brands have entrants in this lower-end-of-medium size.

LINK TO KUBOTA WEB SITE: Compact Tractors | L3301 L3901 L4701 | Kubota Tractor Corporation

To the bare tractor add a Front End Loader (FEL). Think of the Loader as a mobile, articulated wheelbarrow. Loader is also used to move light snow.

Loader buckets often take attachments. A Ratchet Rake attachment would allow you to use the pivoting FEL bucket to back drag debris out of your ditch. Photo #2. It is also good for minor grading. It is the best attachment for tearing out brush and knocking down saplings prior to shredding the horizontal debris with a Rotary Cutter. Industrial tires are usually paired with Loaders, in lieu of standard agricultural tires.

VIDEO: ratchet rake - YouTube

Consider an extra cost Skid Steer Quick Attach (format) attachment for your bucket-to-FEL link. 'SSQA' adds many options which can be attached directly to the FEL, rather than clamped on the bucket, an indirect mount.

SSQA LINK: SSQA site:tractorbynet.com - Google Search

A PTO powered Rotary Cutter, sometimes called a slasher and sometimes a Bush Hog, is used for mowing. Light duty R/C can reliably cut up to 1" material, medium duty R/C can reliably cut up to 1-1/2" material and heavy duty R/C can reliably cut up to 2-1/2" to, maybe, 3" material. You will want either a 60" or 72" wide single spindle Rotary Cutter. Wider, dual spindle Rotary Cutters are available.

There are Box Blades, there are Rear/Angle blades, there are Landscape Rakes and there are Land Planes. Pulled by tractors, all are used in dirt/gravel road maintenance.

The cheapest of these implements are Landscape Rakes.

An increment more expensive are Land Planes. Land Planes take the least expertise to operate effectively.

VIDEO: land plane grading scraper - YouTube

Most expensive are Rear/Angle Blades and Box Blades, which need to be HEAVY per UNIT OF WIDTH in order to cut. Work most effectively with optional hydraulics installed on the tractor. Box Blades and Rear/Angle blades take many hours of experience to operate well. Rear/Angle blades are used for moving heavier snow falls.

Box Blades and Rotary Cutters are the two most common implements used as Three Point Hitch mounted BALLAST for Loader work. This because they are heavy and because they protrude considerably behind the hitch, leveraging their nominal weight as ballast.

For planting trees you can use a Bucket Spade prudently. However, this size tractor is the lightest which can utilize this clamp-on bucket attachment.
A Middle Buster is often co-opted for tree planting. Mount on the Three Point Hitch, cut in an 'X' pattern and shovel out the loosened spoil with a spade.

VIDEO: using a middle buster - YouTube

BUCKET SPADE LINK: Tractor and Skidsteer bucket spade shovel

For mowing lawn around your house, use what you have now if lawn expanse is one acre or less.

The average residential tractor is used 80 hours per year, mostly for mowing and landscaping.

How much time do you estimate you will use a $7,000 Backhoe, which has to be removed to access the Three Point Hitch?

Nothing on your list requires a $7,000 Backhoe.

Take that $7,000 and consider moving up to a HEAVY, de Luxe Kubota 'Grand L' tractor, like the L3560. (The Lexus of tractors.)

KUBOTA L3560 LINK: http://www.kubota.com/product/Grand L Series/L60.aspx

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC00418.jpg
    DSC00418.jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC00419.jpg
    DSC00419.jpg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Fortunately there is a horse barn on the property, but I do not plan on having animals in the near future. Thanks for the advice.

Yes, That's true. Am I crazy? I thought I could push the snow or blow it. I am in metro detroit area, so not as much snow as up north. But no need to do that for 2 years(till I build my house)

/ Help selecting the right series of tractor #7  
Yes, That's true. Am I crazy? I thought I could push the snow or blow it. I am in metro detroit area, so not as much snow as up north. But no need to do that for 2 years(till I build my house)

Tractors are easily stolen and seldom recovered. There are no VIN numbers on tractors, which can be readily traced by law enforcement. Do not leave your tractor unsecured on your property.

Last edited:
That was an awesome lesson. Still not convinced that i can get away without a BH.
Also, lots of recommendations for a kubota, how does it compare to JD? How about a 3039R?
Do I need a mid PTO? Or is it stupid to buy a tractor without it?

/ Help selecting the right series of tractor #9  
When it comes to the JD's the one you're looking at would be fine but (and there's always a but) it depends on what you want it to do. A backhoe is a wonderful thing to have but how often are you going to need it? It would probably be to your advantage to hire a backhoe for the specific jobs you need done, because when you don't need it it's either sitting as a counterweight or you go through the embuggerance of taking it off & storing it.

Having a cab is a wonderful thing, especially during your winter, but they're pricey.

If you can do without the 'pretties' (cruise control, rubber deck mat, cab) then I'd recommend what I have, the 4105. It's less $ than any of the 3000 series with a 40.5 hp diesel donk & 4WD HST, which means more $s available for implements. A 300CX FEL with a 3rd function remote will accommodate a 4in1 bucket & a grapple... the remote can also be 'snaked back' to the rear if you need one there. For the 3PH (3 Point Hitch) an iMatch Quick Hitch (QH) or similar is a great addition too. JD has their own FEL attachment configuration and manufacturers accommodate that, or you can convert to a SSQA configuration.

Now for the standard, important, advice. Regardless of what colour tractor you go for, the local reputation of the Dealership is the true 'piece of mind' for the owner. Getting a great purchase deal is all well & good but a great servicing dealership (parts/repair) is where it's at! Ask around with your neighbours as to who has the best reputation... word of mouth will steer you in the right direction.

/ Help selecting the right series of tractor #10  
Not convinced that i can get away without a BH.

Do I need a mid PTO? Or is it stupid to buy a tractor without it?

Also, lots of recommendations for a kubota, how does it compare to JD? How about a 3039R?

If you want a Backhoe, order one. But....nothing on your list indicates a NEED for a Backhoe.

Mid-PTOs are used to power front mounted snow blowers. There are equally effective snow blowers which mount on the Three Point Hitch and use the standard PTO for power.

LINK: front or rear snow blower? site:tractorbynet.com - Google Search

You should shop at ALL tractor brands. We are not a Kubota shop here but sometimes it seems that way because Kubota has 50% market share in the categories under discussion.

Deere has about 25% market share. (Deere's relative strength is in 80+ horsepower tractors.)

The final 25% is split among many. ~~ I do not infer these are lesser tractors in any way.

The fastest growing tractor brands, off a small base, are Korean.

I have purchased two new Kubotas because the dealer is customer oriented and just six miles away.

Last edited: