Backhoe bucket size

/ Backhoe bucket size #1  

Cliff_Johns

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4110
Is 9" too small for a backhoe bucket. The dealer said that they sometimes jam up
and have to be cleaned out. He recommended the 13" bucket as the smallest
viable bucket.

I was thinking that you can always dig a trench or hole larger than the bucket,
but not smaller.

Any advice?
Cliff

/ Backhoe bucket size #2  
Cliff,
I use a 12" bucket on a Woods 6500 Hoe. It is the "right" size
for my projects and for the size of the backhoe. No problems with clogging.
Ray

/ Backhoe bucket size #3  
Cliff

Whay size hoe are you running it on. I use a 12" and a 24" on my Woods 1050 which is an 10 1/2 ' hoe. Even on the smaller hoes I've had previously I've never run anything smaller than 12". I think except for special use a 9" is too small and stuff would jam. Also the "scoup size" would drive me crazy. I also think it is so narrow that trying to trench would be hard because material would fall right over it rather than into it.

Andy

/ Backhoe bucket size #4  
Look at the way the bucket is made. If the mouth of the bucket is a little larger than the heel, then everything will come out almost all of the time. My smallest bucket is a 10" that I use for building footings. It is larger at the mouth and works really well.

/ Backhoe bucket size #5  
I opted for a 16"-18" bucket, figuring that even if I used it to trench, I'd need a trench that wide for a couple of reasons. First, the trench might cave in if it is too narrow. Second, if you have to get down in the trench to install pipe or whatever, you'll need at least 16" to fit in it.

Also, if I wanted to dig something out, it would take less time than a 12" bucket. And finally, these is less risk of the bucket getting clogged.

/ Backhoe bucket size #6  
I went to both extremes for my woods 7500, 9 inch and 24inch if I was only going to by 1 it would be a 16 or 18 inch.

I've never done anything where I was glad that I had the 9", considering the fact that wet clay will plug it easily, I would have been happier with a 12".
the 9" and the 12" both had 3 teeth so the PSI is the same.

The woods dealer told me that the first bucket was the same price regardless of size.

/ Backhoe bucket size #7  
I have 10" and 16" inch buckets. The 10" works but in wet clay it sticks a lot.

If I had to have only one it would be the 16" without question.

/ Backhoe bucket size
OK,
I guess the 13" gets the vote
Thanks everyone.
Cliff

/ Backhoe bucket size #9  
I have a 18" bucket on my 9' backhoe,I would not have anything but! I find it ideal for trench work,as well as G/P work. I would say that go as big as your hoe is capable of handling.

/ Backhoe bucket size #10  
I have an 11 ft hoe and use 12 and 24 buckets. Depending on immediate need, both do exceptionally well.