Hydraulic PHD ID and questions?

/ Hydraulic PHD ID and questions? #1  

Hammy75

Tractor
Mahindra 4010HST
Hi all looking to put in some fencing over the next few years so we are looking at buying a PHD. I found one pretty close but it is a hydraulic unit and the seller does not not know make or model. I will attach some pics if anybody can help with IDing it. Also I found a pounder for sale for the same price. Would a 38HP Mahindra 4010 HST run a pounder ok? How well does a pounder do with rocks and roots? Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

/ Hydraulic PHD ID and questions? #2  
This oughta be an educational thread for lots of us. If that Kubota (unknown model) can operate the hydraulic auger, maybe your tractor would, as well. I know nothing about pounders, other than they make a lot of noise. Can you try them out??

/ Hydraulic PHD ID and questions?
This oughta be an educational thread for lots of us. If that Kubota (unknown model) can operate the hydraulic auger, maybe your tractor would, as well. I know nothing about pounders, other than they make a lot of noise. Can you try them out??

The Kubota he has it on is a 3940. He said it feline fine with tractor on idle. The seller of each impliment are about 1.5 hours from me so I would not be able to try either on my tractor as I don't have a way to get it there. Will be interesting g to see what kind of experiences others have with these. Thanks

/ Hydraulic PHD ID and questions? #4  
I've run Bobcat's smallest hydraulic auger on my NH Boomer 30 on the front SSQA with 15' hoses running to the rear remotes. I only have 8 gpm, but I only ran at half throttle and never really full hydraulics.

I'm curios on brand and price of this one.

/ Hydraulic PHD ID and questions? #5  
That is the first 3 point PHD that I have seen with a straight mast.

Here is the second one, found on an image search: Post hole Digger Hydra Bed Hydraulic fencing

Page_4_PHD_on_Tractor_150_res.jpg

This hydraulic motor that you posted, did not show up anywhere.

69A73E8C-70F8-4C94-9E7C-D0700E678D87.jpg

/ Hydraulic PHD ID and questions? #6  
Is the price cheap enough that you could buy both and see which you liked best then sell the other one?

I've been wanting a pile driver so I can set posts easier by myself but nothing around here other than new$$.

/ Hydraulic PHD ID and questions?
Thanks for the research and experiences guys. It is the first straight boom I have seen on a PHD as well. Not that I have seen many:). Both sellers are asking $1500 (Canadian) OBO for each so will not be buying both. Considering I can get a Land Pride PH15 in town for $1300 plus tax with a 9" auger and I am looking to save a few bucks on a used model. Cash is a bit tight with all projects we have happening on the farm right now.

I am very sceptical that the pounder would work well on a tractor this small. I did some checking online and a few companies make them that work with my specs but this one is for sale is an area dominated by large scale farmers that have large scale equipment so I think I will rule it out unless I get some good I for from the seller but I am not holding my breath:)

I am very reluctant to buy the hydraulic unit as without knowing the manufacturer I would be up the creek if I ever needed a part. Any opinions on this?

Thanks to all who have responded so far.

/ Hydraulic PHD ID and questions? #8  
The issue with either is hydraulic flow, not so much HP. As long as weight is less than 3PH and flow is less than your rear remotes can handle either would be fine. I think I'd prefer pounder. I have a PTO auger and wish I also had pounder for some of the areas.

I'd think your concern about roots and rocks may be valid though. No idea what pounders do to a post when they encounter something like that.

/ Hydraulic PHD ID and questions? #9  
That straight mast will require inching the tractor forward as the hole is dug. PITA!
I imagine you have similar gravel soils to mine, and that will definetly require several in & out's of the hole. I do it with my SS where the visibility and moving the machine back & fourth is simple. If you have hystat trans, that will be a big help. A pounder should work with your machine, most have a small cyl. to lift the hammer back up and do not have big hyd. requirements, the post takes the impact and some sit on the ground for the entire post driving. You'd be suprised what a sharpened post will push out of it's way. I used to have both and sometimes would drill a small (4-6") pilot hole then pound the post in in tough soils. I actually used an excavator to push them in, but same theory. No pointing the post with a pilot hole.
Is it worth hauling your tractor up to the guy with the pounder for a "test drive"? I know you said you can't do both, I'd start with the pounder. Another thing, The phd looks like it is direct drive. The one I have is chain & sprocket off the hyd motor for a mechanical advantage. The better models have a built in Planetary gear set up directly off the hyd. motor. Either way, both use a mechanical aid for power, just an observation.
edit; Oh, no down pressure. I was thinking how my phd works on the SS, that definetly makes me confirm my vote for trying the pounder first.

/ Hydraulic PHD ID and questions? #10  
One big advantage of the hydraulic PHD is that it is reversible. If it gets hung on a root or rock, just reverse it and back it out, then try again, dropping it slower.

Another advantage is you can hang it on the front end loader, now you have down pressure. :thumbsup: