What tractor to buy? 5 acre lot

/ What tractor to buy? 5 acre lot #11  
The Mahindra EMax is Daedong, the Max and 15xx are Mitsubishi, 25xx are TYM

/ What tractor to buy? 5 acre lot #12  
If your just getting your feet wet, maybe someone has a cheat sheet..??
None of the cuts or scuts are made in the USA, for instance my Dads 97 John Deere 970 is made by Yanmar, with green Paint:)

Off the top of my head Kioti made tractors for Bobcat, and I believe McCormick.
LS makes tractors for NewHolland in the CUT category...LS is the same tractor, with a stronger loader for less money.

Tym made tractors for Cabellas.

There is more but that is all I have off the top of my head.

If I was you I would look at Kioti, LS, and Mahindra, Pay attention to what these tractors weigh, and then price a Kabota and compare weight...If you are not mowing the lawn with it the more weight the better..weight =traction and the ability to get more work done...Kubotas tend to run on the light side and more money, just depends on what you want to do with it.

Don't get in a hurry, your just at the tip of the iceberg, lots to figure out:drink:

/ What tractor to buy? 5 acre lot #13  
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4384094

Rdclark here is a thread I did on our Mahindra Max24. At the end of the thread I posted the link to where it carried over to the owning operating thread. We have 6 acres between 2 properties. I maintain it just fine with a scut, but I'm not you and only you know what you need. I like the solid construction of the machine and it really makes it easy to keep up with life out here.

/ What tractor to buy? 5 acre lot #14  
I am not sure exactly what you are looking for but I would think a 30 Hp CUT would be good. My 1710 is just right for a lot of things - most notably not being too heavy to be able to drive on the lawn at any time without leaving tracks. Of course I do have high flotation tires on the back. It is not great for pulling but then who does much of that. Front wheel assist helps with the pulling though. It amazes me what I can do with it and very little that I feel limited with even though I grew up on a farm with a lot larger equipment.

If you get a loader that lifts 1000 lbs that is all you will need. Heavier loads can be handled with the 3 pt.

Just to give you an idea of some of the projects I have done with mine:

Graded site for new 40 x 60 building including removing over 2 ft of dirt on one side of the site
Maintain rock driveway - grading, plowing snow
I cut and move about 6 cords of firewood per year - logs up to 18" diameter and 18' long plus shorter and larger
Landscaping around house including recutting slopes for improved drainage
Tilling and hilling garden
Pulling a 7' sickle bar mower, 12' rake, rear finish mower, and 5' bush hog over saplings 14' high

This is true if you only need to lift the load 16 inches off the ground...1000lb loader lift ??-250lbs for the bucket weight- 850lbs lift capacity??...he said he did not want to feel limited.

/ What tractor to buy? 5 acre lot #15  
This is true if you only need to lift the load 16 inches off the ground...1000lb loader lift ??-250lbs for the bucket weight- 850lbs lift capacity??...he said he did not want to feel limited.

Limited is all relative. My brother bought a Kubota MX 135 for his toy. 2000 lbs lift is not near enough for him. That is why I mentioned some of the projects I have done with mine so he could understand what could be done with that size of tractor. I wouldn't want to take your beast across my lawn when it was wet but I can carry 1/2 cord of hardwood firewood on mine and not damage the lawn at all. So yours would limit me from what I want to do and my brother's would not work at all.

/ What tractor to buy? 5 acre lot #16  
Limited is all relative. My brother bought a Kubota MX 135 for his toy. 2000 lbs lift is not near enough for him. That is why I mentioned some of the projects I have done with mine so he could understand what could be done with that size of tractor. I wouldn't want to take your beast across my lawn when it was wet but I can carry 1/2 cord of hardwood firewood on mine and not damage the lawn at all. So yours would limit me from what I want to do and my brother's would not work at all.

Point taken:)

Couple weeks ago I dropped a big pine in the yard, 30 inch....I was able to drive twenty feet in and lift the tree off the stump, and start cutting it up.....the grass was dry;)
Just depends on what a guy wants to do, and how much time he has to do it.

/ What tractor to buy? 5 acre lot #17  
Getting ready to buy some land (5 acres) and have no idea what tractor to own. I don't want something that is going to limit me from time to time. I'm looking to do my own landscaping on around 1.5 acres and then just maintaining the rest of the land and little projects from time to time.

What would you recommend? There is a kubota dealer in town, so I was thinking of going orange!

Thanks!

If you are looking at a scut to consider . . . I'd recommend finding a dealer of Massey Ferguson and evaluate the GC1700 series especially the GC1715.

There are many reasons but here is just a few:

Really good on handling for hills and sidehills.
Rated for 870 pounds of lift with the fel using the dl95 loader
5 year warranty
Very competitive pricing
Built very solud and roomy and 2 pedals rather than paddle.

Forward cooling engine design like kubota and yanmar use.

I could keep going on the list. If you name brand quality and design with more options and very competitive pricing . . at least look at them if there is a dealer in 100 miles.

/ What tractor to buy? 5 acre lot #18  
My neighbor has 5 acres. He's had about a 35 hp JD since living there. Had to get him to come lift and set my generator in place, as it was just over lift capacity of my JD 4010. He had to come tow my JD 1025R up the hill one time, too. He also towed the 4010 from out back to out front so JD would pick it up without bringing another tractor.

You probably want a Kubota L or M. My present JD 2025R is more like a B 2301 or 2601. It has the best FEL of any I've had but doesn't have the big grunt like my neighbor's 8000 # curl on his present JD.

Ralph

/ What tractor to buy? 5 acre lot #19  
If you are looking at a scut to consider . . . I'd recommend finding a dealer of Massey Ferguson and evaluate the GC1700 series especially the GC1715.

There are many reasons but here is just a few:

Really good on handling for hills and sidehills.
Rated for 870 pounds of lift with the fel using the dl95 loader
5 year warranty
Very competitive pricing
Built very solud and roomy and 2 pedals rather than paddle.

Forward cooling engine design like kubota and yanmar use.

I could keep going on the list. If you name brand quality and design with more options and very competitive pricing . . at least look at them if there is a dealer in 100 miles.

What is the advantage of the forward cooling design? I have never understood that. I do know when International decided on using forward cooling for Ag tractors they went bankrupt.

/ What tractor to buy? 5 acre lot #20  
My neighbor has 5 acres. He's had about a 35 hp JD since living there. Had to get him to come lift and set my generator in place, as it was just over lift capacity of my JD 4010. He had to come tow my JD 1025R up the hill one time, too. He also towed the 4010 from out back to out front so JD would pick it up without bringing another tractor.

You probably want a Kubota L or M. My present JD 2025R is more like a B 2301 or 2601. It has the best FEL of any I've had but doesn't have the big grunt like my neighbor's 8000 # curl on his present JD.

Ralph

Your 4010 would not lift - an 80 hp tractor? I don't think that was the tractor's fault.