Help me pick a skid steer

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Help me pick a skid steer #1  

zmoz

Silver Member
Tractor
-
I'm buying 6 acres of totally undeveloped property...and I've budgeted about $15-20k for a used skid steer to help me tame the land. I need to clear a driveway and a home site, as well as put in a bunch of trenches for utilities and remove a bunch of stumps. And a whole lot of brush clearing.

I've never used a skid steer before but it seems like the most versatile piece of equipment for what I want to do. Seems like there is an attachment for almost everything. The question is what machine do I want? Is there much difference between the brands besides color and preference? What features should I be looking for, and how much power do I really need? Do you think $15-20k is enough to spend to buy one that isn't worn out and unreliable? I'm looking for a wheeled unit, not interested in the extra cost and maintenance for tracks, although I might buy the steel tracks that go over the tires.

How many hours is too many? I've seen a few at the higher end of my budget with only 600-700 hours. And others with more than 4000 hours.

Does it matter much which engine they have? Is there one to avoid? I'd rather not have one with an air cooled engine, other than that it seems like mostly Kubota vs Cummins vs John Deere.

/ Help me pick a skid steer #2  
As much as I like owning things with diesel engines, I force myself to look at renting specific equipment to clear property or move dirt or whatever - the big jobs. Once that is out of the way you can buy something that fits your budget perfectly.

/ Help me pick a skid steer #3  
I agree that a skid steer is very versatile with the ability to change out the front bucket for different attachments, it's probably the very worse machine you could buy for working on the land. One of it's strengths is it's ability to easily be moved from one location to another. Second, it has solid tires that will never go flat on a job. Neither are advantages for you because those tires are worthless on anything but solid ground. They also do not have any form of suspension, and it will beat you up like nothing else. While farm tractors and larger construction equipment doesn't have a suspsion, the front axles do articulate and the tires absorb a lot of impact.

For your needs and budget, I think you would get a lot more done, and be a lot happier with a compact tractor. In fact, your two goals are so apposed to each other that I would either buy a full sized backhoe to do all the clearing and then sell it when done, or rent one to get it all done, then buy the compact tractor to maintain it. Just about every manufacturer now offers quick attach for their front loaders, so anything you can put on a skid steer, you can put on a compact tractor.

Nothing digs out stumps like a hoe. A tracked excavator is the best, but it's terrible at carrying debris anywhere. A backhoe is second best because you can add a grapple to the front end and pick up what you take out. Remember, digging is the easy part, getting it to where you are going to dispose of it is where all the time goes.

As for hours, most rental yards get rid of their stuff around the 2,000 hour mark. After that, they know they will be spending more money on maintenance and repairs. They also know they will get the most money for it then. Most equipment is good to 6,000 hours. Then there is a good jump in repairs. At 8,000, it's well worn out. My dozer had 10,000 hours on it when I bought it. It's a never ending project to keep it running. It's what I could afford, and the labor I put into it is the cost of not spending more for a newer machine. My backhoe had 1,800 hours on it when I bought it and it was awesome. Now that it's getting close to 7,000 hours, I'm spending more and more time repairing things on it. You wouldn't believe how many hoses it has!!!!

/ Help me pick a skid steer #4  
$20K is not enough. You will have a wore out SS with only a bucket. You need a dozer to clear the land and put in a road, an excavator to get the stumps out, and a tractor to level everything up. In fact I don't think you need a SS at all.

/ Help me pick a skid steer #5  
I too think you want a full size backhoe like a Case 580.
Sorry.

/ Help me pick a skid steer #6  
Why don't we ask how big of trees and how big of stumps? What type of dirt? Beyond that a wheeled skid steer I would not want. Get a tracked unit for sure and one that has a dozer like drive gear. Stay away from the tracked units that have the so called multi terrain undercarriages.

/ Help me pick a skid steer #7  
Get a tracked unit for sure and one that has a dozer like drive gear. Stay away from the tracked units that have the so called multi terrain undercarriages.
I love my MTL (Multi Terrain Loader) ...the undercarriage offers better traction, ground clearance, and less PSI on the ground. Why are you saying to avoid them?

And to the OP... Yes you can get all kinds of hydraulic attachments for the front of the SS's but keep in mind that they are 2-3 times the cost of tractor mounted (3pt) version. Also, keep in mind that repairs on SS's (and construction equipment in general) seem to be much more expensive than a tractor.

As already suggested, a tractor may be a better option

/ Help me pick a skid steer #8  
I've had Case, NH, JD & Gehl skid steers, somehow never a BC. All good machines. You should be able to get a good machine @ $15, @ $20, a pretty sweet machine. Keep in mind that all those attachments add up fast, just with basic stuff you could get to $10000 quick. Tracks (over the tire) $2000 - 2500, and you Will want them for your work. They are great machines, but like a Swiss army knife, it'll do everything, but only great at a handfull of them. They really compliment a small excavator, I'd start with that.

/ Help me pick a skid steer
Why don't we ask how big of trees and how big of stumps?
At least somebody bothered to ask. I can already tell this thread is going nowhere with all the assumptions being made. I never detailed the type of land or the type of trees. I was being vague on purpose.

Neither are advantages for you because those tires are worthless on anything but solid ground.
There are plenty of videos of skid steers running around on mud with no problems at all, though, I don't plan on working in a mud pit. I think there are a lot of people that would beg to differ that a small 4 wheel drive vehicle is "worthless on anything but solid ground". Also the tracks that go over the tires are rather cheap.

You do know they have backhoe attachments for skid steers right? Also stump grinders, grapples, trenchers, etc...

Check out this guy moving dirt and pulling stumps:
T3 removing stumps - YouTube
OK, I admit he has tracks, but I don't need to move that much dirt either. Nor do I need to work in the mud.

And I can't think of a better way to tackle the brush than this:
Shred the bush like butter !! Heavy duty Bobcat SkidSteer loader Slasher Brush Cutter 152mm - YouTube

$20K is not enough. You will have a wore out SS with only a bucket.
LOL! Obviously you haven't been looking at used skid steers.
Example:
S185 bobcat. 7 hours
Only 700 hours for $13000. The price has been coming down so he will probably take less. Several more in the $10k range with closer to 2000 hours.

I could get one for only SIX grand...now that would be a worn out piece.

/ Help me pick a skid steer #10  
I'm only familiar with Bobcat,Case and Thomas skid steers that I've worked on job sites seeing their capability's. I'd recommend not getting one that to small bigger is better. Helped my neighbor 5 years ago buy a Thomas for $10,000 , bucket, blade, chains & forks he's worked the heck out of it & put on well over 1,500 hrs. and so far only replaced one cylinder seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.