Buying Advice New Machine - Too Much Rust?????

/ New Machine - Too Much Rust????? #21  
if you are worried about a little SURFACE rust don't be these tractors are not built like cars. i have a 1974 cub cadet and allis chalmers same year that have surface rust on them that the parts have set for years under ceder trees for years. either way it is a cosmetic and won't hurt the function of the tractor. if it did, every other over 2 years old wouldn't be running and be in the repair shop all the time. the electrical connectors would be all corroded in 2 years or 3 and every tractor on the island wouldn't be running. I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!

1 or 2 or 5 years of sitting won't hurt a thing. surface rust, which it is, won't hurt a think, just cosmetically. buy the tractor and use it for the 4 months that yould wait for a new one. its not a brand new Mercades, its a tractor meant to do work. electrical and everything else will be fine!!!!!!!

/ New Machine - Too Much Rust????? #22  
if you are worried about a little SURFACE rust don't be these tractors are not built like cars. i have a 1974 cub cadet and allis chalmers same year that have surface rust on them that the parts have set for years under ceder trees for years. either way it is a cosmetic and won't hurt the function of the tractor. if it did, every other over 2 years old wouldn't be running and be in the repair shop all the time. the electrical connectors would be all corroded in 2 years or 3 and every tractor on the island wouldn't be running. I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!

1 or 2 or 5 years of sitting won't hurt a thing. surface rust, which it is, won't hurt a think, just cosmetically. buy the tractor and use it for the 4 months that yould wait for a new one. its not a brand new Mercades, its a tractor meant to do work. electrical and everything else will be fine!!!!!!!
:thumbsup:

/ New Machine - Too Much Rust????? #23  
And my point is . . if chrome can be compromised . . imagine how wires and switches and contacts which purposely don't have environmental protection in order to properly conduct . . get compromised.

And then there are bearings and pulleys and fasteners. Salt in its many forms is such a destructive force . . but when it is fogged and misted and blown into everything . . it comes at you both directly and indirectly in ways typically not recognized or considered too.

True, but a new machine will suffer the same consequences in the same environment.

/ New Machine - Too Much Rust????? #24  

Yup, I work mine. I don't take it to cruise night. My Yanmar came with surface rust and faded paint. It's an '87?. After living outside with me for 8 years, it's got the same surface rust and faded paint. I've never even washed it. All maintenance has been done, and it performs flawlessly.. always.. every time.

/ New Machine - Too Much Rust????? #25  
I note several posters use the words surface rust liberally. But the op was talking about wind blown salt air of an extended unprotected period of time on a unit that is not used or"maintained" because its an outsude display unit.

/ New Machine - Too Much Rust????? #26  
We lived on (literally on) a beach in Peru for about 8 months. The only place my wife could access the internet with her laptop was on our 3rd floor open patio. Everything on her computer worked fine while we were there but shortly after returning to Houston Texas area, it stopped working. She took it in for repairs and when the Tech opened it up, he couldn't believe the corrosion. The mother board was just trash due to salt water corrosion.
We had no air conditioner in our condo and each night we just opened a window and turned on a small fan. The first morning after using the fan, I walked by it and there was a puddle of water on the floor and it was salty to taste. The fan literally knocked salt water out of the air each night and that was with using de-humidifiers in 1st and second floor. Of course they didn't do much when we opened the window in our bedroom at night.
The jest of this is that the electronics might work OK on your exposed tractor for a while but they aren't waterproof nor salt proof. If you plan to keep your tractor inside a controlled environment when not in use, then wait for a new model and pay the extra cost. If you plan to store it outside, take the discounted one, because your tractor will be the same after about 1 year of outside storage.

/ New Machine - Too Much Rust????? #27  
And my point is . . if chrome can be compromised . . imagine how wires and switches and contacts which purposely don't have environmental protection in order to properly conduct . . get compromised.

And then there are bearings and pulleys and fasteners. Salt in its many forms is such a destructive force . . but when it is fogged and misted and blown into everything . . it comes at you both directly and indirectly in ways typically not recognized or considered too.
OK, How does one protect the bearings, sealed pulleys, electrical connections and such from the destructive force of fogged, misted and blown sea air ???

/ New Machine - Too Much Rust????? #28  
The tractor's electrical system would have similar connectors as any automobile. Is this an issue for cars there?

/ New Machine - Too Much Rust????? #29  
When I was a kid, I shipped Postal vans from AM General in South Bend, Indiana to Hawaii. We'd load them onto trains here and I assume they took them to California, then put them on a boat to Hawaii. They were sprayed extremely thick with some yellowish clear goo to protect them from the salt water during shipping. We'd cringe every time we got an order because we'd have to peel that stuff off the windows, door handles, etc... just to get into the van.

Anyhow, when we visited Hawaii a few years ago, as we sat on the beach in Honolulu, on any day with calm waves, we'd see multiple barges moving along one after the other. According to the locals, EVERYTHING is shipped to the other islands by barge as weather permits and EVERYTHING comes with expensive shipping charges. I can only imaging the cost of shipping a tractor.

As for that rust, it looks to be surface rust on a hydraulic block, and the eye on a 3pt hitch end. Both of those items are very thick metal and it isn't going to hurt anything. Its not like its sheet metal on a car. Its going to happen to the machine if its at the dealer or at your house in that environment. Just tell the dealer your concerns and make sure you have a warranty.

/ New Machine - Too Much Rust????? #30  
OK, How does one protect the bearings, sealed pulleys, electrical connections and such from the destructive force of fogged, misted and blown sea air ???

1. First and foremost recognize that avtractor on open display for months wothout use is very vulnetable because there are no moving lubricants or protective fluids neing spread.

2. Grease for bearings. Thete are sprays to act ad polymer protectants. White lithium will help. And you can use products like Never Wet. And use a paint protectant instead of a wax.

3. My point is salt air is at its worst when its blowing sideways and a machine is never ysed. Using a ma hine and STARTING with special purpise protectants (not expensive but not a normal item everyone uses) does adfitoonal protections. Its just like having a jetski in salt water . . You do some things differently but you nevernever avoid the process nd just "hope" it will be different