Tractor Sizing 35hp enough?

/ 35hp enough? #31  
I realize that this thread has gone a bit cold but thought I'd add to it in case someone else comes along.

The topography matters a LOT, as does the general condition of the ground.

I've currently got a Kubota B7800 that has been used WAY past what I'm sure it was intended to do (I push myself very hard, anything that I use needs to be able to keep up with me!). 40 acres which were/are mostly brush and trees, lots of wet ground with smatterings of HUGE ruts from logging skidders (almost 2' deep), but otherwise pretty level. I've nearly high-sided my tractor in the ruts: the wort ones have been painstakingly box-bladed down (small tractor = a lot of time/work). While this tractor does have HP, it's light. Wasn't until about a year ago that I had ballast put in the rears. I'd usually be stringing along a field mower or the box blade: the later is heck-for-stout and is great ballast. I can lift a fair amount of weight in the loader (with good ballast), but, going over smooth, dry ground is one thing, going over wet and uneven ground (I recently made the mistake of trying to cross a small ditch with the loader maxed out and I missed hitting it at an angle and dropped both front wheels in and that was that!). Bigger tractor means bigger wheels and more stability. If people were nuts like me then maybe they can get away with smaller tractors, but if you're sane then a bigger tractor is your better bet. Go at least 40 hp.

I'm now in the market for something in the 50hp range. It's a tough decision. What isn't tough to decide, however, is whether I keep my B7800. It stays with me until the day I die:

Flickr

So, 35hp could be enough, until it isn't. And when that point happens you start risking safety. Generally one will always find limits. The idea is to not bump into them with any real regularity. For those rare cases in which more power is required then just go out and rent it (or hire it out). Bigger machines = bigger operational costs; and when you get them stuck (last summer I stuck an 9k lb excavator in a place where my tractor has safely been in- go figure, more GP with the tractor than that tracked rig, so not really sure what went wrong here- I was able to get it out with a manual cable puller and my truck; I later rented an 18k lb excavator and I made sure that I didn't get close to ANY soft ground as there wouldn't have been any way that I'd have been able to get it out!).

35 -40HP is enough if you buy a hevy underpowered tractor Like a L39 Kubota, some Kioti's, or certain Mahindras, but what your getting is a heavy tractor with a small motor.
If you do field work, get some HP with the size.

/ 35hp enough?
I stopped by a dealer that carries both Deere and Mahindra. I sat on the JD 3032E and it took all of 15 seconds to realize I didn't want it.
I didn't like:
---- JD uses its own attachment system for the FEL bucket. (so its harder to buy used equipment for it)
---- JD FEL loader frame and arms does not come off.
---- JD uses a tiny little plastic ball for the FEL control (like pinch it between your fingers small)
Sorry if you bleed green, but there Econo models just dont do it for me

Then we walked over to the Mahindra line up. and right now I'm really leaning towards a 2538. Yes I looked at the 15 series and I know 15's are a Japan and 25's are Korea built. But for my money I think I'd go with the 25 series.

I should be getting quotes in this week on Land clearing, once I have those numbers I'll have a better idea what my future holds.

/ 35hp enough? #33  
I stopped by a dealer that carries both Deere and Mahindra. I sat on the JD 3032E and it took all of 15 seconds to realize I didn't want it.
I didn't like:
---- JD uses its own attachment system for the FEL bucket. (so its harder to buy used equipment for it)
---- JD uses a tiny little plastic ball for the FEL control (like pinch it between your fingers small)

Then we walked over to the Mahindra line up. and right now I'm really leaning towards a 2538. Yes I looked at the 15 series and I know 15's are a Japan and 25's are Korea built. But for my money I think I'd go with the 25 series.

I should be getting quotes in this week on Land clearing, once I have those numbers I'll have a better idea what my future holds.

I remember when I was searching for a new tractor some years back and sat on a 3032e and it took me about that long also to realize this was not the tractor for me. When I found out about the cast aluminum rear axle I thought even less of them.

/ 35hp enough? #34  
I didn't like:

Have you looked at Kioti or Kubota?

I am just learning about Kiotis and am strongly considering one (NX5510; bigger than you'd be looking for though). I've been comparing Mahindra, Kioti and Kubota. Kioti tends to rate, for me, a close second in many things and first for many others. I'm comparing based on price range (roughly $27k to $30k).

If you really need bigger then look for used.

/ 35hp enough? #35  
In all honest Deere messed up by discontinuing the 790/3005/4005 tractors and replacing them with the 3032 and 3038. All they had to do was add a hydro to the existing tractors and they would have had a jewel. I can understand cutting a few corners in an economy line but they went overboard with the 3e. Even the 5e doesn't have that many cut corners and you really get a nice tractor for the money.

/ 35hp enough?
Update: just got back the 1st quote for land clearing.... $4500 (CAN) an acre + stump disposal :eek:

So with a goal of about 4 acres of clearing.... and close to $20K or more in costs (that would destroy my tractor budget) I'm really starting to think about buying a bit bigger, and a bunch of attachments and trying to do most of the work myself.

Attachment wise I'm thinking 3rd function on the FEL, for a root rake/grapple of course. possibly a pto chipper, and a home brew "3pt post puller"

Kinda thinking I could then do 80% of the clearing work, then hire out a back hoe for the big stumps and such.

Every time I consider buying a dozer/excavator/track loader for the sole purpose of land clearing then selling I get this gut feeling I'm playing musical chairs. And I dont want the repair bill when the music stops!

/ 35hp enough? #37  
Might consider renting an excavator and doing the stumps yourself. I dig and bury my stumps, so no costs to haul away: this strategy isn't for everyone.

Clearing is slow work if you don't have big machinery.