Kubota L2501 or L3301

/ Kubota L2501 or L3301 #1  

kdo

Tractor
NA
Good afternoon from Alabama guys. I know Im asking a question that's been asked but I cant find anyone that has any experience with both tractors I have mentioned in the title. I will primarily be using this tractor for keeping a 5 acre field cut and maintaining roads and trails on the remaining 40 acres of property we own. I can currently get L2501DT package deal which includes a 5ft. Land Pride Bush Hog, 5ft. Land Pride Box Blade and 18ft. trailer for $18,500. The L3301 is about $3000 more. Is it worth the extra 3 grand?

/ Kubota L2501 or L3301 #2  
The L3301 is about $3000 more. Is it worth the extra 3 grand?

The tractors are the same. Then engines are nearly the same. The EPA requires more sophisticated emissions control equipment on tractors over 25-horsepower, relatively basic emissions control equipment is required on tractors rated under 25-horsepower.

The answer to your above question is NOT about tractors. The answer is related to: 1) your financial situation and 2) how you value your time. We do not know either factor.

The L3301 will mow faster.

/ Kubota L2501 or L3301
Thanks for the reply. Financially speaking Im having a hard time justifying the extra money from what information I have read so far. Most of the work I will be doing will be slow, except for the mowing. This will be my first tractor. Any idea how much faster the 3301 would be in the same mowing conditions?

/ Kubota L2501 or L3301 #4  
Another question difficult to answer.

I you will just cut 1" off per event, and the field is dry, 10% faster with the L3301.

If you will cut 4" off per event, and the field is dry, 30% faster with the L3301.

I doubt the L2501 can spin the Rotary Cutter blades fast enough to cut/exhaust 5" grass unless maintained VERY SHARP.

The L3301 will cut grass 2" to 3" longer than the L2501, under the same conditions.

Had I forty acres I would definitely spend the +$3,000 for the L3301. Actually, I would buy my much heavier Kubota L3560 again, rather than the L3301.

Note: I owned a Kubota B3300SU, predecessor to L3301.

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 711
Last edited:
   / Kubota L2501 or L3301 #5  
I would get the 2501 and buy a front end loader (FEL) with the 3K instead - you will get much more value and use from the FEL in my opinion for trail work or pulling fence posts, or hauling dirt etc. - its like a power wheelbarrow. Also you can get a quick attach bucket to remove when you mow etc. and you can add QA forks for pallets/wood etc.

If you ever sell or upgrade the FEL will make it more desirable as well.

/ Kubota L2501 or L3301
Thanks guys. I forgot to mention, it does comes with the front end loader also.

/ Kubota L2501 or L3301 #7  
Do you really need a trailer? If so, price one separately from a couple of other sources, same specs. In my area, trailers are pretty cheap and good used ones are available even cheaper used. We already have several, but if I didn't, I can rent a really good one for $40 a day.

There are a lot of different LP implements, what re the numbers on the ones in the package?

My preference would be for the easier to use L3301 HST; never seen anyone wishing they had less power, but lots who wished they had more. That's just my opinion, not a recommendation. Good luck.

/ Kubota L2501 or L3301 #8  
I own a 2501DT but sometjing you REALLY want to consider is the type of pto that comes on the gear 2501 vs the hst 2501 and all the other L's. With the gear model your pto only engages when you release the clutch and it'll stop power when you push the clutch. This is NOT an ideal setup if you're doing much mowing, in my opinion at least. It doesn't bother me because I rarely rarely ever mow with this tractor, I got it for other tasks. So if you don't like what I just mentioned about the pto setup, maybe take a look at an hst model 2501 or re-think that 3301. The 3301 also gets you a newer style dash and gauges and the throttle is different from the 2501. The 2501 basically uses the dash and throttle lever from the previous L's.

/ Kubota L2501 or L3301
Do you really need a trailer? If so, price one separately from a couple of other sources, same specs. In my area, trailers are pretty cheap and good used ones are available even cheaper used. We already have several, but if I didn't, I can rent a really good one for $40 a day.

There are a lot of different LP implements, what re the numbers on the ones in the package?

My preference would be for the easier to use L3301 HST; never seen anyone wishing they had less power, but lots who wished they had more. That's just my opinion, not a recommendation. Good luck.

I don't really need the trailer. That's just the package deal the dealer is currently offering. Im not sure what the model numbers are of the implements. Im sure its the lower end ones. I may try to negotiate for the HST version and upgraded cutter and no trailer.

/ Kubota L2501 or L3301
I own a 2501DT but sometjing you REALLY want to consider is the type of pto that comes on the gear 2501 vs the hst 2501 and all the other L's. With the gear model your pto only engages when you release the clutch and it'll stop power when you push the clutch. This is NOT an ideal setup if you're doing much mowing, in my opinion at least. It doesn't bother me because I rarely rarely ever mow with this tractor, I got it for other tasks. So if you don't like what I just mentioned about the pto setup, maybe take a look at an hst model 2501 or re-think that 3301. The 3301 also gets you a newer style dash and gauges and the throttle is different from the 2501. The 2501 basically uses the dash and throttle lever from the previous L's.

Thanks for the information. I think Im going go for the HST model. Its about $1000 more for either the 2501 or 3301.