Buying my 1st tractor this weekend and need advise BIG TIME - quotes included

/ Buying my 1st tractor this weekend and need advise BIG TIME - quotes included #1  

bevis28

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota G5200
Im quite sure that this has been asked but i can't find a thread specific to these two models

I have been quotes a Kubota 2601 with FEL including quick connect system and box blade - $16,290
I have been quoted a JD 2025 with quick attach system on FEL and box blade - $15,900

I have physically done the touch and feel on the KUB but I'm driving 2.5 hours to put the touch and feel on the JD tomorrow morning.

Since I'm going to be a first time tractor owner, I'm tractor ignorant. The youtube all look good and well but its not the same as standing in front of each one.

Im going to buy one or the other this weekend but would MUCH APPRECIATE any personal input on the 2601 / 2025R

Tractor data says that the JD beats the KUB on FEL breakout at the pin and the JD weighs more.
The KUB has a fantastic standard option on the FEL in that it will lift/roll or drop roll by pulling the joystick at an angle.
I have no idea if the JD does that or if its even an option that could be added to the JD.
That lift/roll drop/roll seems to be a very good thing for a new tractor user - Any opinions on that ?

The KUB looks to be built like a tank but has front steer. I won't know what the JD looks like until I'm standing right in front of it.

The KUB seems to have a great seat as opposed to the JD but the JD seat ma be able to be upgraded, don't know until i can ask dealer.

I know that the orange / green debate will go on forever but I'm trying to find some personal experiences to guide me or give me advise.

Is there anything really good or really bad about either ?

Thanks ahead of time for your help

/ Buying my 1st tractor this weekend and need advise BIG TIME - quotes included
Oh, the KUB has a 54" bucket and the JD has a 49" bucket. JD dealer says 53" or 61" bucket on the H130 loader is not the best option. The 49" is perfect according to him.

also tractor data states that the JD 3 point will lift more than the KUB

/ Buying my 1st tractor this weekend and need advise BIG TIME - quotes included #4  
What are you planning to do with your tractor? I would NOT buy a tractor from a dealer 2.5 hours away without a very good reason.

If I hadn't bought my Branson, I would have bought a Kubota after looking at all the major brands and some minor ones, too.

Im going to use the tractor for taking care of the property that only 2 acres . i have dirt and gravel to maintain on the driveway. about 600 to 700 feet of driveway.
i also want to use it for moving my trailers around / move firewood / fence work and so on. nothing major.
the only JD 2025 i can physically see is 2.5 hrs away. there is a JD dealer 30 mins from me but does not have a 2025r and says it will take him 2 weeks to get one.
im not griping about the drive to look at it. it will be a day trip for me and the wife.
so, there is a dealer that can work on it 30 mis away. after looking at prices the 2025r for 15,900 with the quick attach and box blade seems to be a killer price.

/ Buying my 1st tractor this weekend and need advise BIG TIME - quotes included #6  
Im quite sure that this has been asked but i can't find a thread specific to these two models

I have been quotes a Kubota 2601 with FEL including quick connect system and box blade - $16,290
I have been quoted a JD 2025 with quick attach system on FEL and box blade - $15,900

I have physically done the touch and feel on the KUB but I'm driving 2.5 hours to put the touch and feel on the JD tomorrow morning.

Since I'm going to be a first time tractor owner, I'm tractor ignorant. The youtube all look good and well but its not the same as standing in front of each one.

Im going to buy one or the other this weekend but would MUCH APPRECIATE any personal input on the 2601 / 2025R

Tractor data says that the JD beats the KUB on FEL breakout at the pin and the JD weighs more.
The KUB has a fantastic standard option on the FEL in that it will lift/roll or drop roll by pulling the joystick at an angle.
I have no idea if the JD does that or if its even an option that could be added to the JD.
That lift/roll drop/roll seems to be a very good thing for a new tractor user - Any opinions on that ?

The KUB looks to be built like a tank but has front steer. I won't know what the JD looks like until I'm standing right in front of it.

The KUB seems to have a great seat as opposed to the JD but the JD seat ma be able to be upgraded, don't know until i can ask dealer.

I know that the orange / green debate will go on forever but I'm trying to find some personal experiences to guide me or give me advise.

Is there anything really good or really bad about either ?

Thanks ahead of time for your help

My word of advice is to shop for the dealer as carefully if not more as than the tractor itself. Make sure the dealer you buy from is going to give you good after sales support. If you have any feeling that they might not, shop elsewhere even if you have to look at other brands. It doesn't matter how good the tractor is or how happy you're with it at first, if the tractor isn't running and you can't get support, it's worth nothing to you.

Exactly my thoughts. The Kub dealer originally quoted me 17,300 for the 2601 with nothing but the loader. When i told him the 1st time quote fro the JD, he then decided that he'd sell the 2601 for 1k less ? I have somewhat of a fundamental problem with a dealer that was going to do that to me. I won't kill the deal because of it but it does not make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

My word of advice is to shop for the dealer as carefully if not more as than the tractor itself. Make sure the dealer you buy from is going to give you good after sales support. If you have any feeling that they might not, shop elsewhere even if you have to look at other brands. It doesn't matter how good the tractor is or how happy you're with it at first, if the tractor isn't running and you can't get support, it's worth nothing to you.

I can honestly say that the dealer dropping his price 1k and throwing in a box blade makes me shy away from them. He could have offered me that the first time around.
I will never feel like I'm getting a fair shake from that dealer because of that.

So, is it your opinion that the color does not matter, the dealer matters more than anything ?

/ Buying my 1st tractor this weekend and need advise BIG TIME - quotes included #10  
I have both Kubota and Deere...

I lean more towards Kubota all things being equal.

Can honestly say I have not had a warranty claim with either new Kubota...

The Dealer proximity and attitude is a factor... but, not as much as I first thought.

Both of the local Kubota Dealers folded up shop... it really came as a surprise.