Newbie learned a couple of things. Now I think I want to buy a machine

/ Newbie learned a couple of things. Now I think I want to buy a machine #1  

momule1572

Tractor
none yet
Wonderful time and expert advice on this site. Very appreciated. I have read through some of the threads and my needs are close enough to other newbies that I have been able to get some idea of the kind of machine that would work for me. I have 5 rugged wooded acres and 90 percent is a large slope. I just finished digging up my asphalt driveway to replace a water pipe to my well. Now I have two pretty big retaining wall projects going. After that I have a long list of fun projects I want to do. The well pipe replacement I rented a Yanmar vio35 and a bobcat mt550. I learned that I love that mini excavator! That thing was super awesome and easy to use. It had enough power to get through my rocky soil when it had the small bucket on it. I also learned that my tow rig can't pull it up the hill in my neighborhood! My 1 ton van just did not have the gears necessary to pull that 8k to 9k with trailer rig so I had to drive it up about 1/8th mile to my house. Something I need to consider when I need to get the machine serviced. The other thing I learned is that the MT550 was easy enough to use on my hill when using extreme caution but it was surprising easy to over match and was tippy with even a bucket of gravel. In my mind I thought if I ever bought a machine it would be a mt55 because of the small size and the rubber tracks are good for traction on my hill but now I am not so sure. I am not worried about protecting the ground. I need traction and stability. I realized that the compact size did not really do much for me and having the backhoe that comes on something like a BX25 would get used even though it would be much less capable than the yanmar I rented. I have no need for mowing but snow removal on my asphalt hilly driveway will be a primary job and I need to keep the cost down to 25k or less. I would consider any and all brands and models. There are lots of dealers within 50 miles of here and I drive by the bobcat dealer every day. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

/ Newbie learned a couple of things. Now I think I want to buy a machine #2  
I'm also shopping for my first tractor for my 4.5 acre wooded property and am considering the LS XJ2025H and the Kubota BX25D-1 or 2301/2601 both with FEL and Backhoe.

So far on paper the XJ2025H appears to be the best bang for the buck. I am going out this morning to test drive one. I've test driven the Kubota 2301 with FEL and Backhoe and it is a nice unit, but running 3k to 4k more than the LS XJ2025H.

/ Newbie learned a couple of things. Now I think I want to buy a machine #3  
momule1572 & Plas62.

To the both of you - - Welcome to TBN.

If the rubber tracked units give you concern about traction then you would be well to consider a 4WD tractor with chains on all four - for winter use. That's if you are thinking about a tractor. Expanding upon the projects would help with any advice. A picture or two of the property would also help.

/ Newbie learned a couple of things. Now I think I want to buy a machine
I'm also shopping for my first tractor for my 4.5 acre wooded property and am considering the LS XJ2025H and the Kubota BX25D-1 or 2301/2601 both with FEL and Backhoe.

So far on paper the XJ2025H appears to be the best bang for the buck. I am going out this morning to test drive one. I've test driven the Kubota 2301 with FEL and Backhoe and it is a nice unit, but running 3k to 4k more than the LS XJ2025H.

Hi thanks for your imput. Just in the pictures I like the ls xj2025h a lot! It looks just about right size and power for me. I would love to hear your comparison to the Kubota. I assume the price difference is apples and oranges because the Kubota has the Backhoe? Also on some of the threads here some mentioned there could be some advantage to the kubota bx line over the B line because BX may have a lower center of gravity and the ability to put wheel spacers on so it would push the wheels out farther and make it more stable on the slope. Others thought that the B series was just as good on a slope as the BX line if you filed the wheels with oil or beet juice of all things. That may be something to ask about while you are out today.

momule1572 & Plas62.

To the both of you - - Welcome to TBN.

If the rubber tracked units give you concern about traction then you would be well to consider a 4WD tractor with chains on all four - for winter use. That's if you are thinking about a tractor. Expanding upon the projects would help with any advice. A picture or two of the property would also help.

Thank you very much. In my mind I always thought that the tracked vehicle would be the way to go because of the great traction. If I go with a wheeled tractor it would have to be 4x4 and chains would not be a bad thing to have around. Let me think about a good pic to show. right now I want to move 1" clean fill down and 75 pound retaining wall blocks down around the back of the house for my retaining wall. The slope is ugly in a couple of small spots. I will use it to clear snow on my sloped driveway. in the winter it is bad enough that a 4x4 pickup can have trouble but the Toyota 4runner with big offroad tires has zero problem going up it. I will also use it to move firewood from my road down to to a wood shed. That is of course after I make a flat area with the back hoe and blade for that wood shed. :laughing: then the wife wants me to make a flat spot where we can put up an above ground pool. Then I will use it to move compost around when I build my raised beds. I know I am forgetting something. Off to get coffee

/ Newbie learned a couple of things. Now I think I want to buy a machine #6  
momule, here's a link to the wheel spacers that Bro-Tek has available. If I had the slope you're dealing with, I'd get some 3" rear spacers and 1.25" front spacers. Since you're not going to use a mid-mount mower deck, the 3" spacers will provide the most stability and won't interfere with anything.

momule, here's a link to the wheel spacers that Bro-Tek has available. If I had the slope you're dealing with, I'd get some 3" rear spacers and 1.25" front spacers. Since you're not going to use a mid-mount mower deck, the 3" spacers will provide the most stability and won't interfere with anything.

Thanks for the info. I just took a look at those and they look very good. About 500 bucks to get a tractor setup with those spacers. Is the BX line the only affordable combo that has a backhoe? Are there any other lines that comes in a combo package to compare that to?

Last edited:
   / Newbie learned a couple of things. Now I think I want to buy a machine #8  
Well, the B series has a TLB combo - the B26 - but it is a LOT more expensive (probably almost double) the price of the BX25. Of course, it is a lot more capable too, but that comes at a price.

Do you have a Home Depot near you that rents equipment? They rent the BX25, and it would be money well spent to go rent one for a day and see how it does on your property. Of course, it won't have the wheel spacers, but otherwise you'll get a good ideal of what the BX25 can do.

I don't have the BX25. Mine is the BX23 (the older brother to the BX25) and I love it. They are built like a tank, but these are small machines with limited power and capacities. They are not big or powerful enough for some people's needs. But if it fits your needs, it is a wonderful machine, and I think it's a very fair price for all that you get with it.

/ Newbie learned a couple of things. Now I think I want to buy a machine #9  

Careful with putting spacers on a new tractor. They may give you trouble with warranty on things like wheel bearings axles and such. I was thinking about spacers before I checked on the warranty issues.

Careful with putting spacers on a new tractor. They may give you trouble with warranty on things like wheel bearings axles and such. I was thinking about spacers before I checked on the warranty issues.

I will for sure find out if that affects the warranty. poking around today i can see that a package can be assembled with the backhoe on at least 1. Kubota BX series. 2. LS 3. Mahindra. and the Yanmar on tractors between 22 and 30 horsepower. Also I should go look at a John Deere if I am looking at everything else. This is going to take a little time! Order of importance. 1. Price 2. Warranty 3. capability for my specific application. I will very likely get a hydrostatic transmission but shy away from that in the Kubota D series. The Kubota has a wonderful 6 year warranty out now and of course those machines are solid. They just have to compete on value. The LS looks to be awesome. The Mahindra looks to be extra sturdy and simple and of great value. The Yanmar is the only brand I have experience on and it was mini excavator and I thought it was a spectacular machine.