Price Check 1st Tractor Purchase

/ 1st Tractor Purchase #1  

jsagraves

Tractor
Kubota L4310 HST
My wife and I purchased a 12 acre field about a year and a half ago that we look to eventually build on. Because I don't want to mow or farm 12 acres and love to deer hunt, my goal is to create as much deer habitat as possible complete with switchgrass, oak trees, orchard area and food plots. We'll have 2-3 acre home site when we eventually build. I freeze planted switchgrass last winter and while some is coming up, weed control is tough, so I decided to purchase my first tractor. Probably should've asked this before I bought, but I'm hoping I got a fair deal, as I had to make a quick decision. A local neighbor was getting rid of his Kubota and I just happened to come across it on Craigslist. He invited me out Monday night at 9:30 because he had a buyer coming from 3 hours away the next day and keeping it local was appealing. Plus he lived directly across from my in-laws for several years. I feel like he really did me a favor and gave me a great price but wanted to confirm. I got the following for $12,500. Is this a fair deal for the following?

2002 Kubota L4310HST 43HP Diesel 4WD

ONLY 643 hrs

FRONT LOADER Kubota LA 682 w/ Bucket and tooth bar

Woods 42" Pallet Forks model 20A

Woods 6' Rear Blade

Woods Rear Mount RD 7200 finish mower 6'

Woods BB72 Rotary Cutter BrushHog 6' (needs new gasket on crankcase)

I have limited experience with tractors. Just borrowed one when I tilled and freeze seeded the switchgrass, but am very excited about being a tractor owner and managing my piece of land. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• Kubota 1.jpg
    Kubota 1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 240
   / 1st Tractor Purchase #2  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site.

I reckon you've got a fair deal on your rig and it's the perfect size/HP for your property & what you'll want to do with it. Have fun and go slow as you get familiar with it. And read your owner's manual back-to-front.

/ 1st Tractor Purchase #3  
tractordata.com: TractorData.com Kubota L4310 tractor information

The L4310 is one of Kubota's 'Grand L' series. A heavy, robust, completely equipped tractor.

I have the smallest current Kubota 'Grand L', an L3560.

Surveys indicate that residential tractors are used an average of 80 engine hours per year.

The tractor you purchased has averaged just 46 hours per year.

Usually, residential tractor are lighter weight and do not have a suite of implements. Wood's implements are top quality, fully complementing your top quality Kubota.

GOOD BUY, especially from someone you know, who has cared for the machine. Still, I would change all the tractor fluids and filters soon, if it were newly mine. I would use up almost all the current diesel before filling, to be sure fuel is fresh. (Do not run all the fuel out, or it will not start.)

I do not know if Switchgrass is an Ohio native. If it is, it should compete with the weeds fine. If you mow periodically BEFORE the weeds seed, weeds will decrease over 2-3 years and the grass will take over.

I do deer food plots in my rural residential development. The deer are pets. If you are going to hunt, consider back stops on your property for bullets.

Many implements are used to prepare food plots. The two most used are the Disc Harrow followed by a Cultipacker.

My primary sources for plot seed are Walmart and my local Ace Hardware/Farm Supply. I buy speciality seeds from Hancock Seed Company, Dade City, Florida. I plant twice per year. Once for Spring/Summer crop, later for a Fall/Winter crop. As each crop is tilled with under with my Box Frame Disc Harrow (with 20" diameter pans) it becomes green manure for its successor.

LINK: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/308251-disc-harrow-selection-18-45-a.html?highlight=

Assuming your L4310 has 4-WD, not 2-WD, it can manage a Disc Harrow with either 20" or 22" diameter pans.

Here is a LINK to Quality Deer Management Association: Quality Deer Management Association

Attachments

• DSC00189.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
   / 1st Tractor Purchase #4  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum Jsagraves. Sounds like you got a very good deal. Did he keep it in a shed or barn? Check all your hydro lines for wear and leaks.
Sounds like you have a great plan and a great start. Have fun and give us plenty of pictures as you go.

/ 1st Tractor Purchase #5  
Good buy on a very nice tractor;more than capable for your work.Just follow all maintenance per the manual.
Use Kubota oils and filters.

/ 1st Tractor Purchase
Thanks Jeff for the information and links. Need to invest in a disc and cultipacker, but those will have to wait a little while. Tractor is 4WD and he kept in barn (think someone else asked about this). I don't typically gun hunt too much, mainly bow. I've got some kids that are anxious to start hunting too, which is another reason for us investing in the property.

/ 1st Tractor Purchase #7  
A very nice price. Grats to you on your purchase.

/ 1st Tractor Purchase #8  
I happen to think that you got a smoking deal on that setup. I would have bought that for that price, and I don't even need another tractor. Congrats!

/ 1st Tractor Purchase
Thank you Pappy. All in all I feel pretty good about the value I got and hopefully this tractor has many, many years of life remaining. Looking forward to getting on it and putting it to use.

/ 1st Tractor Purchase #10  
Yup- if tractor works as intended, you are off to a running start. Nice machine, lots of useful attachments- you got lucky!