Buying Advice John Deere Tractor 4430

/ John Deere Tractor 4430 #1  

Spa City

Tractor
none
Looking at this tractor and need some advise. Probably more than I need for 33 acres but will likely own more property down the road. Old school vs newer models....thoughts??

/ John Deere Tractor 4430 #2  
Probably more than you need for that many acres but the 30 series was not overly strong - not like the 40 series and later - so using it a little light is fine. Typically this was a very handy tractor for its size and age.

Powershift or Quadrange? I preferred the powershift but some complained of not enough gears.

/ John Deere Tractor 4430
Quadrange. Thinking like you that it's a bit big for my needs, I also am looking at a 5205. Thoughts on that tractor?

/ John Deere Tractor 4430 #4  
If it is in good condition and the price is fair then you can use it and still get most of your money back when you sell it. The good thing about older tractors is that while you tie up money in them to own you can retrieve most of it after several years of use. If you need to make a lot of repairs it can be quite expensive for a tractor this size.

Most people would prefer a smaller 4x4 tractor for that acreage particularly if your land is hilly.

Last edited:
   / John Deere Tractor 4430 #5  
I don't know much about the newer JDs so I cannot help you with the 5205. It may be a bit big but my Dad always said you cannot have too much power. This isn't a lawn tractor it's for farming and that 4430 will go a long way. A 50 hp tractor will do you fine for 30 acres but if you grow you will want more. You won't find a limit with the 4430 where you will with the 5205.

/ John Deere Tractor 4430 #7  
4430 is way overkill for 30 acres. Earlier 4430's had 2 pinion diff while later or updated models had 4 pinion diff plus wider final drive planetaries. I disagree with creamer as 30 series with 404 cid engines although powerful but no as strong as 466 cid's in 40 series.

/ John Deere Tractor 4430 #8  
4430 is way overkill for 30 acres. Earlier 4430's had 2 pinion diff while later or updated models had 4 pinion diff plus wider final drive planetaries. I disagree with creamer as 30 series with 404 cid engines although powerful but no as strong as 466 cid's in 40 series.

My take away from Creamers thread was the 30 series were not as strong as the 40 series. You appear to agree with this.

/ John Deere Tractor 4430 #9  
A 4430 is easy to work on if you are halfway mechanically inclined, we had on on our ranch where it was used for mostly haying and feeding, but did do some farming and it does just fine especially for 30 acres.

/ John Deere Tractor 4430 #10  
should be just fine for 30 acres, maybe even a little too much