First time buyer

/ First time buyer #1  

SleepingDog

Tractor
NH TC24DA
Hi all,
I'm new to the list and this is the first time I'm purchasing a tractor. I've rented them in the past but I've realized after three years of rental fees that it's time to take the plunge. I've been reading a bunch, looking over different forums and talking to as many tractor owners as possible. It's been very amazing and diverse, with many divergent opinions. It's a confusing yet interesting process. I've looked at both gray market and US, used and new, but for finacial reasons I'm going with one of the large US (blue, orange, or green). The interest rates seem excellent and is making it all possible.

I need some grounded assessment on if I have a good fit for me. I'm a weekend user, but the central California weather provides for using it all year. This is what I'll be doing with it short term - some grading for building pads, driveways, a horse arena, building a pond and water reservoir and a bunch of fencing. Long term work would include mowing, pasture maintenance, manure compositing, lots of landscaping, moving hay and other materials. We live on a 3.5 acres with 3-6% slope, studded oaks, and very sandy soil.

I feel most comfortable on the New Holland TC29 4x4 (harvest return with 60 hours) with a FEL and industrial tires. I was set on a hydrostatic transmission (that's all I've rented in the past) but the dealer is trying to convince me to get a gear driven (more power to the PTO and more control). I'm going to test drive a gear one this week. What do you think? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also is 15K a good price for this tractor (11k for tractor 4k for FEL)? :

SleepingDog

/ First time buyer #2  
Probably not big enough to dig a pond or reservoir. Should be OK for the rest of it as long as those hay bales you're writing about aren't those huge round or square bales.
Have you always rented tractors the size of the TC 29? It might be a bit large for 3½ acres for the normal maintenance...

However, if you feel most comfortable with the TC 29...then that's the machine to buy.
Your dealer is right....you'll get a couple more HP to the PTO with the gear. As far as more control...that's more a matter of your hands/feet and eye coordination. I prefer the gear, but I don't do a lot of loader work.

/ First time buyer #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I feel most comfortable on the New Holland TC29 4x4 (harvest return with 60 hours) with a FEL and industrial tires. I was set on a hydrostatic transmission (that's all I've rented in the past) but the dealer is trying to convince me to get a gear driven (more power to the PTO and more control). I'm going to test drive a gear one this week. What do you think? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
)</font>

If you feel best with the Hydro then get it. Most people who are week-end warriors like the Hydro. The difference in the ground Horsepower is not that much difference. Your butt is the one on the seat and get what you like not what the dealer likes. I have the 29 with hydro and love it. I also think you are picking a good size for what you are doing. If there is a 33 around at a good price you may want to look at that. Your finances will dictate that. Again if you have any second thoughts on the hydro versus the gear drive just remember the tractor will be around for a long time and for the difference in price I wouldn't sacrifice having something you don't care for in the long run.

And the price sounds good to me. I paid close to twenty for the TC29D w/supersteer, 72"MMM and 7308 loader and bucket.

murph

/ First time buyer #4  
I would NOT let the dealer talk me out of the hydro if it were ME, but for you, it depends on your preference. As for digging a pond, it depends on how big a pond. I'd generally recommend hiring a dozer operator and his equipment, or at least renting a dozer; however, I know of two ponds that were dug with Kubotas no bigger than the New Holland TC29. It can be done if you've got plenty of time.

/ First time buyer #5  
Welcome to the board. Let me start off by saying that I use my tractor primarily with the FEl and a Backhoe. I went with the Hydro after driving both a shifter and a Hydro. For the work I'm doing it was a lot more comfortable... and easier! Look at the PTo driven implements you'll be using and see if the pto HP on the TC29 w/hydro is adequate. If so then your question is answered. One thing I've learned in the short time I've owned mine is that I rarely run out of power - traction is usually my limiting factor. My tractor is 32hp, but not real large - I've thought of adding weight to it for some of the work I'm doing.

I hope this helps you - You're talking about a great brand, and if you like it go for it - comfort with the dealer and the product is the perfect mix - but don't get talked into something you don't want by anyone - only you know what you like best.

Take Care,

/ First time buyer
Hey all,
Thanks for all your input. I'm glad I found this forum and hope to be member with my new toy for many years.

Thanks

/ First time buyer #7  
I agree about hiring a dozer operator. It will take less time and save "wear and tear" on the tractor.