1989 John Deere 855

/ 1989 John Deere 855 #1  

flyer

Tractor
1989 John Deere 855
Hi. This is my very first post, as I am just getting into a large plot of land and this will be my first tractor purchase. So, forgive my ignorance if it shows. I hope to improve my knowledge as time goes, hopefully with some of your help!

In any event, I have an opportunity on a 1989 JD 855, and was wondering if I could get some feedback on appropriate price. Here are the details I know so far (unfortunately I do not know how many hours it has yet):

'89 855, 4WD posi traction
deck mower
backhoe
front loader
chains (we're in snow country)
all manuals/paperwork

I should become privy to the rest of the specs when I take a look at it in a few days, but thought I would get as educated as I could in the meantime.

Thanks for the help!

/ 1989 John Deere 855 #2  
The 855 is a nice tractor. A friend of mine owned one for 10 years. It was quite dependable.

Since the seller has the manuals and paperwork (I'm assuming the original Deere manuals), that, to me, is a big plus!

Anyway, figure a price of 10 to 15 thousand bucks. The x55 series machines seem to really hold their value (example: when my friend traded his 950 hour 855 in on a 4310, he got $12500 in trade. The dealer asked for $13500 when selling the tractor. I don't know the actual selling price, but it went pretty fast).

Personally, I think the older Deere CUT's are more robust then the 4xxx series machines. They're more basic machines but it depends on how many bells and whistles you think you need.

If that's a 3PH backhoe, I would make sure the original 3PH arms, links, etc. are part of the deal. I'd also get the seller to drop the 'hoe off so the attaching points can be inspected.

The only thing I don't care for on the x55 series is the headlamp placement. If a loader is installed, the masts block the head lamps.

Good luck on the purchase!

/ 1989 John Deere 855 #3  
Don't know anything about them personally, but here is a <font color="blue"> web site </font> where you can see multiple 855's for sale to get an idea of asking prices. Select "tractors", then "john deere", then type 855 in model.

/ 1989 John Deere 855 #4  
Flyer,

I have an 855 I bought about a year ago. Mine isn't the prettiest machine, but it really gets the job done. Its my first tractor and I feel I was lucky to get something that does just what I needed it to do. A neighbor has a Ford farm type 2 wheel drive, but it is too big and heavy for my purposes. Another friend has a 650 but misses power steering for loader work and the convienience of the Hydro (no shifting).

I have three acres where I am moving some dirt, contouring a dry creekbed, bush hogging, carrying downed tree sections, maintaining a gravel driveway, and it is perfect.

The prices in the previously listed web site look representative to me. I believe the loader is worth at least $2000 and the backhoe $3000 or more compared to tractors without them.

I'm not sure what you want to do with it, but if it matches your needs and the price is fair, I wouldn't hesitate.

Good luck!

/ 1989 John Deere 855
I have some more info after looking at the 855. The good news is there is only 1327 hours on it. The bad news is there isn't a backhoe. The front-end loader has a serious crack in the bottom of the bucket, which could probably be welded, or certainly the bucket itself could be replaced. Aside from that, however, it is in good condition.

In addition, the mower is a "pull-behind" rather than a belly mower. Anyone have pros/cons of belly vs. pull behind?

If anyone has more target price info based on the data, I would appreciate it. Thanks for the replies thusfar!!!

/ 1989 John Deere 855 #6  
You did not specify what the tractor will be used for only that you are moving on a very large lot. Just keep in my mind a 855 is a very small machine, dont expect it to work like an ag or utility tractor, in addition you pay a premium on a used JD just for the name'S sake. Personnally if looking for a used compact I would go with Ford, not quite as pricey and probably better(Shibaura motor).

/ 1989 John Deere 855 #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have some more info after looking at the 855. The good news is there is only 1327 hours on it.... The front-end loader has a serious crack in the bottom of the bucket, which could probably be welded, or certainly the bucket itself could be replaced. Aside from that, however, it is in good condition.

In addition, the mower is a "pull-behind" rather than a belly mower. Anyone have pros/cons of belly vs. pull behind?
)</font>

I run a 3PH mower. Now, is that mower a "Pull Behind" (towed by the draw bar) or does it attach to the 3PH?

Anyway, as far as Mid-Mount vs. Rear Mowers, that really depends on the conditions you'll have to operate in. Are you going to mow close to a house or fence? Are there many obstructions such as trees or hedges...things like that? If your mowing area has a lot of obstruction, the mid-mount would be more convenient.
If it's mostly open space, the rear mower would suffice.

Mid-mount mowers are quite specific to a tractor. Your 855 is pretty old, so it might be difficult finding one. However, there seems to be a heck of a lot of 855's around, so at least there is a possibility of finding one. Of course, your tractor would have to have a mid-PTO. If it doesn't, I'm sure the kit is available. Now, mounting brackets and such may require fabrication unless they come with the mower.

Mid-mounts are more expensive the 3PH mowers, by the way.

My property has a few trees and a fenced in yard. I do operate the mower pretty close, but I probably have to do more finish trimming then I would if I had a mid-mount. However, the job gets done, and I'm quite satisfied with my rear mower.

As far as that cracked bucket...I've never seen a bucket cracked. Where is the crack on the bucket? I'm sure it can be welded or replaced ($$$), but I'd be really curious as to how the bucket got cracked. Over stressing the loader?

As far as the hours...if this is a private party you're buying from...I think $9000 would be about the max once I was satisfied the tractor wasn't abused.

/ 1989 John Deere 855
That's some great information. Thank you very much.

The mower connects to the 3-pt hitch. Unfortunately I would say that there are quite a few obstructions in the mow job, mostly trees, birdhouses, etc. The lawn is probably 1-2 acres, and the current owners use a push mower for trimming. As far as other uses, most of the rest of the property is woods, therefore I would be using the tractor for hauling wood, maintaining the 2000 ft driveway, snow removal, etc. I believe the 855 is plenty of tractor for my uses and would not want to go larger.

The crack in the bucket goes lengthwise down the lowest point in the bucket if it were oriented with the opening straight up. Rather than "stress" related, I am inclined to believe that it is "wear" related: it is not a crack per-se, but more like a deteriation and it is completely open about 1/16" for about 2 feet in length. Now that I write it down, however, I'm not sure. The metal itself on each side of the opening is in good condition. I inspected the joints on the rest of the loader (as much as a laymen like myself could), and they look like they are in good condition.

/ 1989 John Deere 855 #9  
flyer,

JD does not sell a replacement bucket for the 52 FEL any more. I had to buy an after market bucket from ATI for the 52 FEL on my JD755. It was about $600.

Jeff

/ 1989 John Deere 855
Well, I purchased the 1989 JD 855: 1327 hours, 60" rear finish mower, front-end loader, chains, 4WD hydro, 28 hp. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The asking price was 11.5k and I got it for 9k. Hopefully I got a reasonable price, but based on my research here and through some other contacts, average condition would be around 8500 and emmaculate would get 10k, so I think my deal was pretty close.

Thanks for the help here and throughout the site ... hopefully I'll be able to help others in return in the near future!