My BAD tractor buying experience

/ My BAD tractor buying experience #1  

A_non

I had been looking for a tractor for a while, reading this forum and others and visiting local dealers first. Well, it was hard enough convincing the wife that we needed a tractor (we do), but to get her to agree to that kind of money, well “it ain’t gona happen”!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif So, I turned to the Internet and, after sifting through many makes, models and dealers, I chose a Chinese tractor.
I thought this tractor was a good value based on price, features and what I could ascertain of the dealer. I am no stranger to getting dirty or turning a wrench so I knew what I was getting into from a maintenance perspective.

On February 13, 2004 I entered into a contract to purchase a new tractor. The dealer’s website, indicated that I would be required to pay 10% of the purchase price to order the tractor, that’s fair. However, they billed my credit card for the entire amount, contrary to credit card company rules concerning mail/telephone orders. The tractor was shipped on March 8, 2004 and received on March 9, 2004, 24 days after my credit card was billed! I’d already gotten the bill and still no tractor, BTW. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

During the delivery inspection, it was noticed that large amounts of hydraulic oil were running down the loader arm, the loader control feed line and the main rear axle/transmission area. It was observed that the oil was also on the floor of the delivery truck, indicating that the tractor was loaded for delivery with major leak defects. I know, I should have refused delivery at that point, but my new tractor was here after a long wait. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifTwo of these problems still exist as of this writing, wrong parts were sent by the dealer in response to a request for replacement parts. I performed the labor to install the gasket that was never initially installed to fix the leak on the trans/rear axle. This required dismantling a portion of the tractor to rectify the leak. The dealer sent a homemade gasket vs. a factory-produced gasket as a replacement. Further observations noted 4 ½ hours registered on the hour meter for a new tractor as well as chipped paint on the loader.

Upon closer inspection the following day (3/10/04), it was noticed that the backhoe swing hoses were cut due to the lines being pinched between the backhoe framing and the cylinder, prior to delivery. To date this still has not been rectified. The charging system was inoperative, which was miss-diagnosed by the technical staff, causing the shipping and removal/replacement of unnecessary parts (alternator, voltage regulator and instrument cluster). The resolution was a broken fuse and miss-wired instruments from the dealer. Additionally, there were broken grease fittings, no coolant in the radiator, damaged 3pt lifter arms (wrong replacement parts sent), missing draw bar and brakes out of adjustment.

I surmise that when I ordered, the dealer looked around his lot for the tractor that needed the most work that the dealer would have to perform, and knowing I am hundreds of miles away sent this for me to fix.

After considerable delay and frustration, lack of use of the tractor, unreturned phone calls and e-mails, unanswered phones, waiting for parts, contact person on vacation and incorrect replacement parts sent, I requested that they accept the return of the tractor and credit back my credit card. I requested this action on April 12, 2004 via phone message (no answer) and received no response until I again called on April 15, 2004 at which time they refused to accept the return. They have offered to take the tractor back and go through it and fix whatever problems still exist, at my expense of over $1,000 for shipping.

Is this common for Chinese tractor dealers? Am I wrong here? I’ve filed a complaint with the BBB, but being a business advocacy group, what are the odds on consumers winning in arbitration, anyone know? I’ve also disputed the charge with the cc company.

Sorry this is so long winded, but what I need to know from you folks is what should I do now? I’ve ticked off the dealer (yes I got hot and said things I shouldn’t have) and I imagine future support and parts will be close to no existent.

FYI, I’ve posted this anonymously and not included the dealers name as there may be possible future litigation. But I wanted to get this out to all perspective buyers to let them know what could happen. I have been a long time Internet shopper, with little or no problems and I am certainly not slamming all Internet sellers, the vast major are honest and professional, but it only takes a few.

/ My BAD tractor buying experience #2  
You have just confirmed what I suspected about the Chinese tractors. I had my check book in my pocket ready to buy one and changed my mind after lookin at it. My Kubota may have cost a lot more but I think it was worth it in the long run.

/ My BAD tractor buying experience #3  
Sorry about all your troubles. Unfortunately I've heard and seen the same story over and over with these type of tractors.

/ My BAD tractor buying experience #4  
This is a really bad experience to say the least. I'd be curious to enquire which model and manufacturer you ordered, if not the dealer himself.

/ My BAD tractor buying experience #5  
Sorry about your problems. Be persistent. I would skip the BBB and get the attorney general of your state involved immediately if I did not get a swift, satisfactory resolution to your problem. Document all contact with your dealer very carefully.

/ My BAD tractor buying experience #6  
Since you paid with a credit card, do you have any recourse there? I've had a couple of similar (though much less costly) experiences with tools and American Express really went to bat for me, reversed the charges and left the unscrupulous dealer holding the bag. Pete

/ My BAD tractor buying experience #7  
<font color="red">I’ve also disputed the charge with the cc company.
</font>
From the events described in you post...
If you haven't paid the cc then I certainly would refuse to pay.

/ My BAD tractor buying experience #8  
<font color="blue"> If you haven't paid the cc then I certainly would refuse to pay.</font>
Perhaps this is not what you meant, but you can not simply refuse to pay the credit card company. You have to tell the cc company that you are disputing the charges and then follow their procedures.

/ My BAD tractor buying experience #9  
I know that because of the litigation prospect, you are hesitant about naming the dealer or brand, but for the sake of the literally thousands of prospective buyers that peruse this site on a daily basis, I think it would be nice to at least tell the multitudes here what brand of tractor you have the misfortune of owning.

I agree wholeheartedly with Pete. Get your State Attorney General involved. The AG's office makes their bread and butter protecting the consumer, mainly you.

/ My BAD tractor buying experience #10  
Sounds like the company purposely waited the 24 days to deliver in order to get their money and probably beyond your time to complain to the C.C. company to stop payment. I would also say that they sent you a lemon on purpose knowing you were to far away to bring it back. Your mistake was taking delivery of it in a leaky condition in the first place. I would have told the driver to turn around and take it back. You should have then called your C.C. company and asked them to get their money back. The next call would have been to the dealer to cancel the order. If the dealer complained. You could have told him to contact the AG where you would have already filed a complaint against the company. Now you will have to fight with them to get anything. I would call the C.C. company imediately and explainto them that this crook sent you a lemon. Ask them if they can file to get the money back if you return the tractor.