"sub compact" tractors?

/ "sub compact" tractors? #1  

reconmarine

\"sub compact\" tractors?

Excuse the intrusion but I had been looking for a compact tractor but after seeing the costs, I had to scale down my goals.

I am an admitted newbie to the whole tractor world ("lawn" "garden" "subcompact" "compact" ???) having cut my yard with a 21" walk behind Honda (the same one!) for 20 years. Now I am older, slower and have left the suburbs for a 30 ac farm in north GA with a 3 acre Bermuda lawn to handle as well as some light chores (hauling mulch, pushing gravel on my 1/2 mile driveway etc. I also have some hills and some "soft" areas in my river bottom areas so 4WD would be a plus.

I am bewildered by the various and obviously opinionated posts on these machines posts on the various makes and models out there. It reminded me of the old debate among us Marine grunts between the relative merits of the M-14 and M-16, either of which will kill very effectively!

Anyway, I am facing a fast greening 3 acre lawn and must get something soon. I have Kubota, Husky, Toro, JD, NH, MF, Cub and Simplicity dealers nearby and Atlanta has everything if I am willing to take my life in my hands to go there. Can you help me make some sense of all this in terms of what I need whether it is called a "lawn" "compact" or "subcompact" tractor?

I am a retired Marine on fixed income so cost is a factor but on the otherhand I am a mechanic "fanatic" and appreciate good workmanship and durability and am willing to eat beans if needed to get the "right" (as much quality and capability as I can afford as long as it also does the main task of mowing well) machine.

Many many thanks.

Semper Fi

PS-- We should all keep in our hearts and prayers those fine young men and women in foreign places keeping the wolves away from our door so we are free to worry about such things as lawn tractors.

/ "sub compact" tractors? #2  
Re: \"sub compact\" tractors?

Have you looked at a Kioti ck20 or ck25? You can have a mower, loader, backhoe and just about any other attachment you might need on a 3 acre lawn or small farm. Go to www.kiotitractor.com and do a dealer search with your zipcode. Their prices are very competitive I own a Kioti LB1914 and am very happy with it.

/ "sub compact" tractors? #3  

Intrusion???

You gotta be kidding! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif This is THE place to ask questions and exchange information about tractors. You'll get plenty of suggestions, soon. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ "sub compact" tractors? #4  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Excuse the intrusion )</font>

Let's see . . . you've been a member for over two years and have posted 4 messages. Doesn't sound very intrusive, does it? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( bewildered by the various and obviously opinionated posts on these machines )</font>

Yep, just like those guns you mentioned, and like cars and pickups, most experienced folks have their preferences. The fact is that most of the brands of tractors, just as most brands of cars, are "good"; it's just a matter of finding the particular machine that suits your personal preferences, considering what jobs you intend to do with it, which machine and size "feels" best to you, which ones fit your budget, and which dealer you think you'd want to deal with.

For the property and jobs you described, my own opinionated preference would be a "compact" tractor, specifically a Kubota B7800 or B2910. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif And of course, there are many other brands and models that would do equally well. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'd look for something in the 25-30 hp range, hydrostatic transmission, genuine category I 3-point hitch, quick attach front end loader, a 3-point (rear) finish mower (and many other forum members would prefer the mid-mount (or belly) mower instead), and a box blade. Beyond that, the sky's the limit. For a half mile gravel driveway, hydraulic top 'n tilt sure would save time. With that size property, I would imagine there would be some rough mowing to do, so a rotary cutter (also known as a shredder or brush hog) would be needed. And if I had that much property, I'd have to have a vegetable garden, in which case, I'd need a tiller and maybe cultivator plow. And in Georgia, as in Texas, I sure would want a canopy for sunshade. Might want to work at night a bit, so auxilliary work lights, front and rear. You say you've got some hills and soft spots; need an R&B tiltmeter. Just how "manicured" is that lawn? Do you need an aerator? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Like I said, the sky's the limit. You just need to start visiting those dealers in your area, talk to them, try out their tractors, etc.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We should all keep in our hearts and prayers those fine young men and women in foreign places keeping the wolves away from our door so we are free to worry about such things as lawn tractors. )</font>

Amen, brother!

/ "sub compact" tractors? #5  

I'm sure glad you "intruded," it's been too quiet in most of the forums lately. I agree with Bird, you need a compact tractor with good clearance for your property and tasks. There are many smaller-sized compacts that have higher lift capacities, higher clearance, and more bells and whistles for about the same price as many of the sub-compacts. Most all are excellent tractors, and prices vary greatly. I have a Kioti CK20HST that does just about any job I want to do for a few different-sized properties. It was a good value and is a well made tractor. JD, NH, Massey, Kubota and others all have comparably sized tractors, price and dealer confidence may be your deciding factor. John