Used Kubota L2350dt vs New Jinma or Farm Pro???

/ Used Kubota L2350dt vs New Jinma or Farm Pro??? #1  

George_H

Hi,

My wife and I just bought a 5 acre tract of land which we will be building on. We are in need of a sub-compact to perform clearing of field land (no tree removal) and light grading (after the excavators have done their work). I will also be using for maintenance. The land is elevated approx 25' height over a 700 ft span (slight slope). I will also be using a 6' Brush Hog to clear field and a 6' Finish mower after grass is planted. I would also like to be able to pull a box blade for light grading and use an auger for digging for fencing and grounds lighting. I figured I would need at least a 25 hp sub compact for this, especially with the grading of the land. I have been looking at 25-32 hp tractors and trying to stay within a budget of under $14,000 (of course the lower the price, the more fun implements I can buy /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have been torn between buying a used brand name vs. new Chinese mfg tractor. I have read several revues (both good and bad on both sides).

I have come across a used (1996) L2350dt which I think I can get for around $7,500. The ad claims only 370 hrs use but the tire tread wear (Ag tires) is approx 50% which seems suspect to me for only having 370 hrs use. The pics on the ad make the tread look even worse than 50%. There was some "cosmetic" damage to the front end which has been replaced with all Kubota parts. The tractor is being sold in GA and I live in PA which means I would have to have it shipped (an expense that I have roughly been quoted $1,500-$2,000).

My question is would it be more advisable to go with the Kubota over the Farm Pro. The Kubota is only 25 hp while the Farm Pro is 30 hp (same as Jinma). I have been looking at both Farm Pro 2430 and Jinma 304. The Jinma or Farm Pro would both have a 1 yr warranty where the Kubota is "as is". I can get the Jinma or Farm Pro for around $12,000 new, shipped, with an implement.

I'm calling on the "experts" to help me determine which is a better buy. I would appreciate any info you could provide.

Thanks,
George in PA

/ Used Kubota L2350dt vs New Jinma or Farm Pro??? #2  
First, George, welcome to TBN. Go to the My Home page and fill in your profile. You'll find that memebers are able to give better answers in some cases when they know where you live, the type conditions of that area, how much property at a glance, what you may already own in equipment etc. What you are talking about purchasing is a Compact Utility Tractor (CUT) not a sub-compact utility tractor(SCUT). I would be very hesitant about buying the used Kubota, if for nothing other than what you have already told us about the appearance in the pictures, plus the HIGH shipping, etc. If you can't inspect that tractor and you don't seem to have experience, stay away from doing it that way. There are just too many things that can be wrong, and sounds like it does have more hours than is stated. Please correct me if I'm incorrect, but you don't know much about tractors and their maintenance right? The Chinese tractor would not be for you in my opinion because usually, right out of the gate, you will need to repair at least some minor flaws that seem inherent in these tractors. Bad gauges, leaks, etc. that if you don't know how to repair, you will have to pay someone to do. I see no reason, for your tasks, you could not use from 18-30HP. New Holland, Kubota, John Deere, Massey, Kioti etc. most all make good small CUTs in that price range. I paid $16,681 for a Kioti CK20HST with Front end loader, Backhoe, Boxblade and Brush mower with the Backhoe being over $4,000 of that. I think you can buy within these brands, easily, without the backhoe in the under $14,000 range and probably closer to $13K or less. Hope this helps, John
CK20 Shots

/ Used Kubota L2350dt vs New Jinma or Farm Pro??? #3  
I have a JINMA and love it. what part of PA? there are lots of help concerning the JINMA or other china made tractors, and yes they are gear drive, not hydrostat. (though suposed to be comming with a new hydro soon)

I got mine fomr PUMA machine out of NJ http://www.puma-machine.com and paid less than koitejohn did and I got a back hoe mower tiller FEL and tractor, I paid own shipping of 600 from there to here. in ohio... anyhow I assembled my tractor myself and loved it but i have a good place to do that stuff and am very mechanical ... ok fire away.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Used Kubota L2350dt vs New Jinma or Farm Pro??? #4  
I think you should consider other avenues, that Kub seems priced about right, for someone living in Georgia!!!! Chinese tractors are a rarity up here, have never seen one myself, only ads, they are tempting but i am not a gambler myself,maybe you are.Your sound like you have your needs well defined but I think 17 HP would do the job, 35HP would be OK too but pricier and smaller is sometimes better , especially on a small estate like yours.

/ Used Kubota L2350dt vs New Jinma or Farm Pro??? #5  
Welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't know what machines run in your area, but you may be able to get these under your budget:

John Deere 4110

CaseIH Farmall DX21

New Holland Boomer TC21

Kubota B2410

Kioti CK20

These are all smaller chassis CUTs (or Class I's as New Holland calls them). As you know, there are many other good brands out there that I didn't list. These are the ones that I am more familiar with. I was familiar with the Cub Cadet line until they up and changed them all. lol Of course, these fine manufacturers make other quality models that may fit your bill, too. In the end though, you are the only one who knows what you will like.

Good luck in your search! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Used Kubota L2350dt vs New Jinma or Farm Pro??? #6  
George,

I don't know how much experience you have with equipment such as a compact or how mechanically inclined you are. The Kubota you mentioned I would stay away from. It sounds like it was beat for every minute it ran. I have over 200 hours on my TC29D with R4's and I see no wear what so ever. If fact they look good enough for my dealer to trade me for the turf's if I want. The knubs are still on them. I think the Jinman is an ok tractor but again it depends on how much mechanical work you can do. We have a Northern Hydraulics in our area that sells them so I wouldn't mind buying one as I know Northern has been around for a while and they have had the Jinman's in front for a long time. So I know they have guys that can work on them or I can do the work myself if I had to. The thing that scares me is the price difference. The price almost seems to good to be true compared to other comparable brands. Just scarey to me. It may not worry others. Another poster listed some comparable units. Check them out and price them out and see where you end up. One other tractor that seems to be coming popular is the New Holland TC30. You can get it in Hydro as an option but it is a no thrill/no bells tractor that is priced to compete. There like John Deere, Kubota, Kioti and others you will always have dealers around to help with service. If you follow a bunch of the posts on TBN you will find most members will tell you dealer is more important than the brand. I am a firm believer of that.

Do some looking around and don't get in a rush as this will be a long lasting purchase. You make a mistake and it is expensive to change. Spend more time on here, test drive a bunch of the tractors, get to know dealers and tend to work with the dealer you like the best and you feel the most comfortable with. And you never know, you may just run intoa good used rig that will fit your butt the best and at a good price for you to buy toys or tools.

murph

/ Used Kubota L2350dt vs New Jinma or Farm Pro??? #7  
George,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new place. Sounds to me like you are looking in the right size range for the projects you have planned. I do think you will be disappointed if you try to use a 6' bush hog with that size tractor though. A rule of thumb is 5 PTO horsepower per foot of bush hog. You can get by with a bit less but I think a 6' would be pushing it.

Don't know what to say about the tractors you are looking at. There are a bunch of members real happy with their Chinese tractors. It does seem to help if you are good with a wrench so that left them out of my search. The Kubota is a hard call with out a look. That shipping prices sure sounds high to me though.

Good luck.

MarkV

/ Used Kubota L2350dt vs New Jinma or Farm Pro??? #8  
George,
If thats the L2350DT on Ebay, the hours "look" correct, but the tires do show a lot of use.

/ Used Kubota L2350dt vs New Jinma or Farm Pro??? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ok fire away )</font> Mark, I don't think you said anything that would call for anyone to "fire away." You told it as you see it from a Jinma owner's view. As you said, you are mechanical, and you know that's necessary with the chinese tractors unless there is a good mechanic nearby to help this guy out. Yes, I'm sure you paid less for your tractor and got, what, a one year parts warranty? I got a two year parts/labor and one year parts. That has to be paid for too! I certainly don't want to dissuade anyone from a Chinese Tractor as long as they realize they will need to know how to repair the problems and get it up to snuff. John