Need help with decision

/ Need help with decision #1  

JEgan712

Tractor
Still looking
I've never owned a tractor before but find myself wanting/needing one now. I have done a great deal of research and have narrowed it down to three choices. First choice is the Kubota BX23, pricey but a beautiful machine. Second is the John Deer 525 and I have also looked at "grey market" tractors. The used tractors are quite a bit cheaper, but I am not real keen on buying something that might break on me. I would appreciate any input. thank you.

/ Need help with decision #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've never owned a tractor before but find myself wanting/needing one now. I have done a great deal of research and have narrowed it down to three choices.)</font> First off, welcome to TBN. I hope you will always find great answers that will help you. First of all, your profile states you have a BX23. That space in your profile should be for what you own, not what you wish to own. Also, you need to tell us what it is you want to do with the tractor so we can help you to decide on an appropriate tractor. You say you have narrowed your choices to 3 models, but you really only name 2 plus a generic "gray market" which doesn't give us information on the brands of gray markets. Off the bat, I don't think you'll want a gray market, too much work, parts are expensive and sometimes difficult to find and you generally will have to wait to get them. A good used tractor can cost almost as much as an inexpensive new one. Have you checked the Mahindras, Centurys, Kioti, Chinese (can be initially work to fix inherent problems) and others? Let us know what you want to do with the tractor, the kind of equipement you want to run on with it, etc. and we'll go from there. Again, welcome. John

/ Need help with decision #3  
Welcome to the TBN forum.

How 'bout this for an idea?

Make a spreadsheet.

Figure the list price for each of your three possible tractors.
Then figure how many months you think you'll be living at your present place and needing a tractor. Now divide the cost by the months of use.

For example. If new tractor #1 costs $15,000 and you expect to own it 10 years(120 months). Cost to you is
15000/120= $125/month

However if tractor number 2 costs $17,000 and you own it 120 months, then
17000/120=$141/month

Now ask yourself is it worth about $16 month MORE to get THE BEST you can afford?

(Now dont howl you accountant types...I know I took liberties with this approach!)

Treat yourself right and get the one you like. If its cheaper, then great! If its a little more expensive, then is it worth a few bucks a month to have a Deere or Kubota as opposed to the grey market tractor that you will most likely hunt alot for parts? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

enjoy, and tell us what you decide!
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need help with decision #4  
JEgan712,

Welcome to TBN. Lot's of people will try to give you some good advice here.

My take on it would be:

First you should only buy what you can afford.

Then you need to look at what your intended uses are and buy something that fits.

A big advantage of new is the warrenty and a chance to work any bugs out at the manufacturers expense. While at the same time getting to know the tractor and knowing that it was not abused and was well maintained from day one.

Used is always a gambel whatever one buys. The reward is the money you save.

The BX23 is a nice machine. I started look at one (was the bx22 then) and ended up buying a larger B series with loader and backhoe. There are a lot of very happy BX TLB owners out there, as well as other colors of similar size, more or less.

I chose to buy new as I plan on keeping my tractor(s) for as long as I am on the planet. I wanted to know how they were treated from day one.

It is REALLY hard to say more than that, because only you know your own circumstances...

Hope this helps... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need help with decision #5  
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are.. New vs used, Bigger vs smaller etc. etc...

If you look way up the sponsor of this site has a book on the whole subject that may give you some insight into the whole process around buying a CUT....

Personally I don't believe the grey market is the way to go unless you have ways of both getting parts and getting the tractor fixed..

As for a used tractor you have to look at it and make sure everything works...

This forum has literally tons of information so read... read and do more reading...

/ Need help with decision
This site is the mother lode for tractor information. I really appreciate the input. Forgive my stumbling here at the start. i am new to this. I have a relatively small lot 3/4 acre and the rear portion actually sits adjacent to a wooded green belt. What I want the tractor for is to improve my back yard area and to create planting areas and trails that I can ride my grandchildren on my tractor. One problem that I have with my lot is that the back portion, the one that I am wanting to do all the improvements to is a relatively steep grade down and I need a tractor to dig and push dirt around and to haul materials (dirt, gravel, garden blocks, etc.) up and down the grade. So... I need it to do some moderate grading, hauling materials, maybe some tilling and giving rides to my grandkids. I think I am coming to the opinion that I do not want a used machine because I am fairly handy, but my skills are in carpentry and gardening, not automotive. The price quoted for the Kubota BX23 with loader and backhoe is $15,900 plus tax. I am leaning toward getting it. But I am very open to your advice.

/ Need help with decision #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What I want the tractor for is to improve my back yard area and to create planting areas and trails that I can ride my grandchildren on my tractor. )</font>

I'm new at this, too, and definitely not an expert. But I think you'll hear from others that hauling children on a tractor is not a good idea. Once in a while is fine, I'm sure, but I wouldn't want to plan on it as a regular activity. Just my two pennies.

Jim

/ Need help with decision #8  
Somethings to think about.
Dealer Dealer Dealer! Very important. Service and Parts after the sale can mean lots.

The John Deere 525 does not compare to the BX. The 2210 is more of a fair comparison. Massey also makes a comparable machine in the GC series.

Test Test Test. Get the one you feel comfortable operating.
If not sure of the steep hill see if they will bring one out to make sure you can get done what you want.

Maybe look at renting for a day.

/ Need help with decision #9  
Welcome to TBM, your healthy internet addiction. The Kubota is a fine machine. You might also want to check out the MF and Kioti. Both have similar machines and would do what you want. Even though you don't have a lot of land, a good small machine will make the job enjoyable and it will probably last for ever.

As far a taking your grandkids for rides on the tractor, just be careful. I have pictures of my stepfather taking his grandkids for a ride in a small pull behind cart around in the tractor. They all loved it and have great memories. Safety is the key word. Slow, safe and happy. Kind of like a mini hay ride.

Let us know what you buy and pictures, pictures, pictures. I can't get enough.

/ Need help with decision #10  
My best childhood memories are summers spent at my grandparents dairy farm. The rear fenders on Grandpa's tractor came with a "seat" that was perfect for us kids.

It was really no more than a round steel bar raised about 9 inches on 3 sides and welded to the fender. I recall that a lot of the tractors had them.

All of the grand kids would have to take turns to see who was going to bring in the hay/grass with Grandpa that day.

We were all sad when he traded that old tractor for a new Massey because it no longer had a place for the Grandkids!

Just my two cents.