1st Tractor - Advice Needed

/ 1st Tractor - Advice Needed #1  

lxjenkins

Tractor
None
Good afternoon all. I need some advice purchasing my first tractor. I own a little more than 7 acres, entirely flat - about 5 acres is pasture. I plan to use the tractor mainly for mowing, some light tilling (about an acre), and maybe some snow/gravel moving. Nothing too taxing.

As this is my first tractor, I'd like to get something older that would allow me to service it myself (I did not grow up around tractors, but consider myself mechanically competent). I suppose a live/independent PTO would be ideal. Budget would be in the sub-$4K range.

Are there particular makes/models out there that lend themselves to what I'm looking for? Thanks for your help.

/ 1st Tractor - Advice Needed #2  
Hi. Welcome.
Lots of good used tractors. I am partial to Kubota but others like John Deere, Case, Kioti, lots of brands.
Maybe look at a Kubota L series or even a B series.
I use a BX2200 for mowing, tilling with a 5ft tiller, snow, clearing brush. Lots of projects with the Front End Loader,(FEL)

/ 1st Tractor - Advice Needed #3  
I am partial to Kubota just because they came through with the package that I wanted with dependable equipment at a total price I was willing to pay with fantastic financing. There are others.

Sub $4K range around here will not get you much in the way of start and use tractor. Not sure about Ohio .

/ 1st Tractor - Advice Needed #4  
A $4,000 tractor will be LESS dependable than a $4,000 car or truck.

Relatively new tractors are much safer by design and development than old tractors.

If you spend much time here, you will learn tractors and tractor work is fairly hazardous for newbies.

I suggest you look at a new Kubota L2501 with a hydrostatic transmission. Sized right for your tasks. Heavy enough to be stable and thick enough steel so you will not bend parts easily. Minimal emission controls on this model.

$17,000 with Loader, HST transmission and 4-WD. (All new tractors are diesel.)

No one should have an old 'first' tractor.

Kubota has 50% US market share in new diesel tractors 16-horsepower to 60-horsepower. The fastest growing brands, off a small base, are Korean.

LINK: Compact Tractors | L2501| Kubota Tractor Corporation

Last edited:
   / 1st Tractor - Advice Needed #5  
I just bought that same tractor 0% financing, dealership had a package deal for it that was the same a listed above but also with the 60" Landpride box blade.

I did add 60" finish mower and backhoe to the deal which raised the price a bit but well worth it IMO.

/ 1st Tractor - Advice Needed #6  
I will also say the price range you want to be in will be very little if any good machines here. There are a few good web sites to give you very good ideas and do a search and they should pop up. However those big sites run like a week behind the true dealers lot. Then for the price you want not sure you will find it a dealer.
You also need to know uses tractors are a big scam item on Craigslist and not putting ebay down at least here those there seem to run high I price. Another concern about buying from a person is there is no title for tractors and you have no way to really know if stolen or not so try to verify the best you can. No way do you buy without test the tractor, if true owner/user they will have no problem explaining the operation of the tractor. If they can not then run away.

Now how would I try to find what you want: ask any body and every body who has any connection with tractors, especially those who have farm supply stores see if they have a for sale board. Even tractor supply has those boards. Think you can still find parts for the old Fords, Massey Ferguson and John Deere's for even 40 year old farm tractors. No luxury there but strong solid tractors that you can work on yourself for anything short of major.

/ 1st Tractor - Advice Needed #7  
If you can up your budget to $7-8, you might be able to find a decent older tractor (Kubota, of course) that can do what you need. If you consider it an investment, one that should hold its value and return good service while you own it, then spend a little more, and avoid down time from an old machine. I sold a fine used gear tranny Kubota B8200 with tire chains, a rear blade, a loader, and about 750 hours, everything working nicely, for $7500 about 4 years ago. That would have reliably done what you need. I don't think you find what you should have for $4000.

/ 1st Tractor - Advice Needed #8  
A Massey Ferguson 135 with a Perkins engine sounds like just what you need. I have had one for 28 to 29 years and have had very little trouble with it. If the battery is up it will always start. I use mine on about 10 acres and it will handle my 6ft Bush Hog just fine. Look at Tractor House.com and you will see some in your price range. May have to look around your area to find one, but trust me they are really good tractors.....

/ 1st Tractor - Advice Needed #9  
Last edited:
   / 1st Tractor - Advice Needed #10  
I have owned cheap tractors before and 4K is going to buy you nothing but headaches.

Either up your budget or hire the work done until you can spend more. Is the pasture smooth enough to mow with a zero turn? You can knock out five acres faster with a 60" zero turn than you can with a tractor and a five foot shredder if it is smooth. The tilling is a once or twice a year thing it would be no big deal to hire out.

A decent shredder and tiller for a tractor will be in the $1000 range each so half your budget is shot just on implements.