Ford 8n or similiar

/ Ford 8n or similiar #1  

VroomVroom

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2816 HST, Super M farmall, J5 bombardier, 230 timber jack skidder
I noticed a tractor in the local classifieds that looks like a similar tractor to one of these. They are asking $2100 Canadian. I don't know the shape but seems alright. What's the average cost. Don't know the year etc.

/ Ford 8n or similiar #2  
Given that there's really NO information to go on, it's impossible to give a sensible answer.

In general however, a Ford N or equivalent Ferguson from that era would have to be mechanically perfect for me to even consider parting with that much cash for it. Perfect as in recent engine overhaul and 90% tires.

Much like John Deeres, N owners tend to think they're all worth big bucks. (Not bashing, just saying...)

/ Ford 8n or similiar #4  
An 8N in good shape is pretty cute, and can do a few things alright, but they really aren't good for much. A 600 or 800 series Ford looks very similar and are much better machines for getting anything done. Better gearing, live hydraulics, optional live power, more HP, etc. Same story with the Massey Ferguson to-30 model, and maybe a couple of others. They looked like 8Ns, but way outperformed them.

/ Ford 8n or similiar #5  
They do one thing well : kill you.

/ Ford 8n or similiar #7  
I wonder how many acres were worked with those old Fords over the years?

/ Ford 8n or similiar #9  
Immaterial. Comparing options 70 years ago and today's options is a fool's errand.

How much land was worked with mules?
By human power alone?
I wasn't comparing anything.

/ Ford 8n or similiar #10  
Wow.......Hard to answer this post, but as a previous owner of a 1952 8N I will offer a little insight. $2100 Can = $1500 US more or less. Decent price if it is in fair shape.
The pluses of that machine are they are simple to work on, easy to get ANY parts for.
Do not let the small size fool you, they can do some great work as long as you know the limitations of that machine(as every machine has limitations).
Depending on what you wish to do with that tractor, I would not be too worried over it.