How would you compare two HST transmissions?

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #1  

JLinder

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5510HS
A conversation between a few of us at work today led toward HST transmissions in different tractors and how they compare. We were talking about 2 competing models (different brands) but similar horsepower and we each had opinions about which transmission "felt" better. All the manufacturers publish horsepower, lift capacity, turn radius, weights, ect. The same doesn't exist for HST's.

I've been on lots of HST tractors, pretty much every color out there. Some I liked better than others but I can't point to anything other than how it "felt" to me.

If you were comparing two tractors, all other specs/features being mostly equal how would you compare the transmissions or otherwise pick a winner?

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #2  
Hard question to answer in writing, but I have used several and the Kubota Grand L is by far my favorite one.

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #3  
A conversation between a few of us at work today led toward HST transmissions in different tractors and how they compare. We were talking about 2 competing models (different brands) but similar horsepower and we each had opinions about which transmission "felt" better. All the manufacturers publish horsepower, lift capacity, turn radius, weights, ect. The same doesn't exist for HST's.

I've been on lots of HST tractors, pretty much every color out there. Some I liked better than others but I can't point to anything other than how it "felt" to me.

If you were comparing two tractors, all other specs/features being mostly equal how would you compare the transmissions or otherwise pick a winner?

Many of the HST transmissions are made by 3rd party suppliers. The Kubota HST+ is definitely in a different class of HST. The HST in my Kioti works very well, and have never given me any trouble, but it does not have the features the Kubota HST+ does. It is that simple. Of course the Standard L tractors are nothing special at all. The HST+ is only offered in the upscale Grand L series of tractors.

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #4  
Tractor makers stick with their areas of expertise - tractor manufacturing and not hydrostatic transmission manufacturing. Many years ago one of the suppliers I worked with told me they were at that time Kubota's primary hydro supplier, but that can change between series, new models, etc. Pick up a supplier's catalog and you will find an indecipherable number of controls available, but as an Original Equipment Manufacturer working in large volumes, we never dealt with the catalog. With electronic controls, one can dial in hydro response as desired, but that ability comes at a price. Even prior to electronics I worked with a hydro supplier on one of our machines to finesse the control so if a person went to full propel on the flat, then started climbing an increasing slope, the engine would keep producing 100% max torque right up to the machine stopping - no need to feather the propel control to keep the engine from stalling. My L5740 will do the same thing when I have it in Stall-Guard mode. The other manufacturers have the same controls availability - but it adds money.

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #5  
My GLxx10 series Kubota predates the new HST+ setup but it does have a hydraulic servo mechanism instead of a mechanical linkage between the footpedal and the transmission. In contrast, my BX has a simple mechanical linkage, and the difference is considerable. For those who are familiar with manual transmisisons, it's a bit like a hydraulic clutch vs. a mechanical one, only to my taste the servo operated HST is much easier to control precisely. It's particularly obvious when the tractor is under load or on steep terrain where a non-servo-controlled HST requires more foot pressure to operate.

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #6  
My GLxx10 series Kubota predates the new HST+ setup but it does have a hydraulic servo mechanism instead of a mechanical linkage between the footpedal and the transmission. In contrast, my BX has a simple mechanical linkage, and the difference is considerable. For those who are familiar with manual transmisisons, it's a bit like a hydraulic clutch vs. a mechanical one, only to my taste the servo operated HST is much easier to control precisely. It's particularly obvious when the tractor is under load or on steep terrain where a non-servo-controlled HST requires more foot pressure to operate.

My Kioti is a servo controlled swash plate, and yes it is smoother to operate.

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #7  
Only HST I have any real operational experience with is my MX5100. I like it and have no complaints, other than I wish I could shift L-M-H ranges on the fly.

But the same type question can be asked about ZTR's also. I have a Scag Wildcat 61", dad has a Bobcat 61". Pretty much the same identical mower just two different MFG's. My levers require about twice the effort to move as his. His there is nearly no resistance, and this nearly no feedback. I am terrible at driving his mower. He is terrible at driving mine.

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #8  
The servo controlled transmission will be more headache when the tractor gets up in age, but it works much better while it works. I much prefer the servo controlled and my L3240 has a high and low of each range essentially giving me a 6 speed transmission which is great.

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #9  
Many of the HST transmissions are made by 3rd party suppliers. The Kubota HST+ is definitely in a different class of HST. The HST in my Kioti works very well, and have never given me any trouble, but it does not have the features the Kubota HST+ does. It is that simple. Of course the Standard L tractors are nothing special at all. The HST+ is only offered in the upscale Grand L series of tractors.

Yep, we've owned/own used several and the HST+ is by far our favorite.

/ How would you compare two HST transmissions? #10  
HST+ giving you 2 speeds ontop of the standard H/M/L is pretty much the main reason I'm only looking at a Kubota Grand over anybody else. I like the basic HST in my L3200, but want to upgrade to a cab &more toys like HST+.

There are 3 kinds of HSTs as far as I can tell...
Mechanical direct pedal control.
Electronic control which gets you adjustable responsiveness, stall guard & some other handy features.
HST+ which is all the electronic goodies + a 2 speed function for a shift on the fly high/low range.

Kubota has a single treadle that controls forward & back where JD & most others use separate pedals for forward & reverse. It's almost a religious type preference for some. Personally I like the Kubota treadle as that's what I have & learned on. I could do pedals fine though.