Buying Advice Anyone had expeirence with a pull type box blade?

/ Anyone had expeirence with a pull type box blade? #1  

kthompson

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas B2710, M6800, L6060 cab, Volvo EC excavator, 2 ZTRs and various implements.
I am looking at buying a 10 foot pull type box blade right now for grading around a pond and some other grading work. The one I have decided on has the tilt with raising one wheel option. It is a Lowery or LMC blade and do not think built in the US. Again it is 10 foot with 24 inch sides and blade at weight of about 1,600 pounds. Probably will pull with four wheel drive tractor of about 90 hp. Looking for experience, thoughts or recommendations. thank you.

I have scan I think four pages of search for this topic and only thing I found was the box blade that was modified to be pull box blade. Surprised me. kt

/ Anyone had expeirence with a pull type box blade? #2  
We have a 12 foot. Green in color, but don't remember the brand. The tilt works in cutable dirt. It will load up good and will pull all the tractor will allow. We pull with more hp because we have it.

/ Anyone had expeirence with a pull type box blade? #4  
They are very handy at leveling. Would not buy one that doesn't tilt. Even then, repetitive passes are your friend. I pulled a 12ft with my M9540 4wd. In loose dirt, could stall the tractor.

/ Anyone had expeirence with a pull type box blade? #5  
We have used a 10' drag scraper for well over 20 years and it has been really handy on setting up build sites and our firing range. It also works well for road maintenance. No doubt one that tilts would be great, but one was not around when we bought ours

/ Anyone had expeirence with a pull type box blade?
Thank each of you. I did not look as far back in history time wise as most of those post were so thanks a lot. Think read each post fully. Think all my thoughts have been confirmed.

TripleR, you may want to look at how the ones I have seen that tilt do it and may be able to modify your wheels mount to tilt.

On the line of pull box blades Agri Supply has one for just over a $1,000 and is 6 feet wide. Not sure the exact hp but think about 85 is max hp it is rated for. To me that looks like a product that would suit many here. I have used box blade a few hours off and on over the years and have never been the fan of it some are. It is not my first choice in grading really prefer a blade but box blade is hard to beat for moving dirt short distance if okay to pull it where it needs to be. What I have found out here is there are few who own the pull type box blades but no one wants to sell their either. Even if they have not used it in years. A good many farmers use them after planting especially tobacco to level the field at the end of the rows as in tobacco crops you are in the field often and keeping the turn area level is very desirable. Again thank you, plan to pick up the 10 foot Lowery this Saturday...sure would like to use it Saturday afternoon but have 3 hour trip each way and we are to get much needed rain today and for new few days. Not best weather to grade the clay we have for some is gumbo and when it is wet it just smears...sort of like high temp grease. Again thank you each. kt

/ Anyone had expeirence with a pull type box blade? #7  
kthompson, my brother and I have considered modifications, but usually use it on our M8540 with a Land Pride HR3584 on my L5740 with Top and Tilt; may do it some day, but with three farms 10-11 tractors and equipment to keep up with and a couple of part times jobs...:laughing:

The ten foot pull behinds are really popular around here to maintain tractor/equipment areas groomed as most are good sized crushed rock areas; haven't seen one with adjustable wheels for some reason.

/ Anyone had expeirence with a pull type box blade? #8  
Larry, friend of mine modified his to tilt. If I can remember I'll try to get some pics. Your Brother could do the mod easily.

KT, talking about equipment not for sale. I was looking for a 5yd pulltype scraper. Finally found one worth the money and caught the owner when he needed money. In the last two years the owner I bought it from and the owner he bought it from have both tried to buy it back. Both say they wish they hadn't sold it. It now has it's own parking spot in the shed and I'll never sell it. :)

/ Anyone had expeirence with a pull type box blade? #9  
Larry, friend of mine modified his to tilt. If I can remember I'll try to get some pics. Your Brother could do the mod easily.

KT, talking about equipment not for sale. I was looking for a 5yd pulltype scraper. Finally found one worth the money and caught the owner when he needed money. In the last two years the owner I bought it from and the owner he bought it from have both tried to buy it back. Both say they wish they hadn't sold it. It now has it's own parking spot in the shed and I'll never sell it. :)

Thanks Richard, that might be a good winter project. His "free time" is going to be getting scarce with the approaching harvest. First to come off in about two to three weeks will be popcorn then white corn and finally yellow corn followed by beans and such.

/ Anyone had expeirence with a pull type box blade?
Larry no idea the thread here but a person took a 3 pth box blade and made tow bar to fit the 3 pth on the box blade and built wheels for it. Look at his pictures and then his video of it almost dancing as he built it where it would raise or lower one side. Really neat set up. Depending on the design of your wheels it is not a complicated change. It could be about as simple as cutting the arm for the wheels, welding on metal for the hinge and drilling holes as needed and welding on the lugs for the cylinder. A good welding, mechanic could do that in say 2 hours. I could get it done in two days. kt

Richard, has to make you proud of your purchase, have you offered to do the work for hire? LOL