Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #61  
   / Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #62  
I have both on my tractor (4 in 1 and box blade with rippers) and I much prefer to use the rear blade. Visibility is great and with a top and tilt that blade will do amazing things. the 4 in 1 is nice but you really can't see what you are doing like you can off the back.

True, and I agree about the visibility, but for the initial rough work like the photos posted, I would be able to get more work done quicker with my Deere 410 bucket than with my box blade, and I do t even have a 4 in 1.

I would certainly prefer the box blade for finish work. I just think that the OP has a very capable machine there and was wondering if he has a lot of experience on it yet. I'd hate to see him spend 30 or 40k on a tractor specifically to run a box blade and then realize how much stronger a true dedicated construction machine is.

Regarding the width of the 4x20, wasn't there an old John Deer with the same model number that was more of a large farm tractor? I seem to remember coming across some when I'd type in one of the 4x20 models. Perhaps the op was looking at those specs.

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #63  
The early (1969-70) 4520 may be what you are referring to. That was a row crop 130hp tractor. My neighbor had one and it made my 4020 feel small by comparison.

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #64  
First I would ask you to post a picture of your box blade hitch from the front. Just to clarify the hitch you have, as most of these box blades have a clevis hitch that fits both cat 1 and cat 2 hitches. This is important because John Deere and a lot of other manufacturers do not offer the hydrostatic transmissions in a cat 2 hitch.

I use a Deere 4520 cab tractor with R4 tires triple wheel weights 60hp and the ehydro transmission with good results. Mine is a 2009 and in that year the hp was increased across the model series, so the 2008 and older will have less power. When checking out tractors this is good to be aware of.

I have a Frontier BB1284 box blade made by Gannon very similar to yours but with the hinged tailgate and is 7' wide. I have many hours of seat time using mine for grading fields and other work. I would venture to say a similar tractor would work well with your 6' box blade. I would suggest a tractor of at least 50hp and would prefer a little larger which allows higher ground speeds. When you are grading acres instead of a short driveway travel speed becomes an issue.

Other important considerations would be to get a top and tilt hydraulic hitch (needs two sets of hydraulics) plus one set of hydraulics for the rippers. Would also recommend the optional telescopic links if you need to change implements often. These clevis hitch implements are a bear to change without telescopic links or the quick hitches.

Below are pictures of my tractor and box blade and pictures of some small fields I have used this on.

In the second picture if you look at the hitch you will notice I am connected to the inside hitch clevis on each side this is for cat 1, if you connect to the outer clevis set that is for cat 2.

you did a good job there! thats flat.

Right now I was looking to buy a Gearmore 4G4-84 Hydraulic box blade, but also on my local craigslist there is a Frontier BB1284 for sale: I might be able to talk him down to $2800

IMG_1441_zps8vzv8j4d.jpg

IMG_1442_zpskn5hhnxz.jpg

IMG_1443_zps3t4uwmwt.jpg

IMG_1444_zpswwbzddbi.jpg

Last edited:
   / Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #65  
Thanks for the compliment Mopardude. By the way I have a 392 hemi out of a 58 Imperial I am saving for a project car. May rebuild it this winter if I have time.

That Frontier is just like new from what I see, that would be the one to buy again if it were me. Since I am converting mine for the laser set up with wheels and tongue it would be nice to get another one to use by itself.