L & G Driveshaft or Belt Drive

/ L & G Driveshaft or Belt Drive #1  

gkivett

Tractor
Cub Cadet
Obviously new to this forum so I hope this post is in the appropriate section. I'm researching the purchase of a lawn and garden riding mower. Because of the local dealers, I'm paying more attention to John Deere and Cub Cadet. I have a CC that I bought new in 1996. It has a driveshaft from the engine to the transmission / axle. this makes removing the deck very easy and belt changing is easy as well. Most of the new units that I see use a belt instead of a driveshaft. In poking around the net I have come across many discussions of which mower to buy but none of the discussions I have found mention the merits of the driveshaft versus belt drive. It just seems that the driveshaft would be much better and would be worth mentioning as a benefit of the few models that have it. But since I don't see that mentioned in the debates maybe the belt drive is better than I think. Anyone have thoughts to share on this?

/ L & G Driveshaft or Belt Drive #2  
Obviously new to this forum so I hope this post is in the appropriate section. I'm researching the purchase of a lawn and garden riding mower. Because of the local dealers, I'm paying more attention to John Deere and Cub Cadet. I have a CC that I bought new in 1996. It has a driveshaft from the engine to the transmission / axle. this makes removing the deck very easy and belt changing is easy as well. Most of the new units that I see use a belt instead of a driveshaft. In poking around the net I have come across many discussions of which mower to buy but none of the discussions I have found mention the merits of the driveshaft versus belt drive. It just seems that the driveshaft would be much better and would be worth mentioning as a benefit of the few models that have it. But since I don't see that mentioned in the debates maybe the belt drive is better than I think. Anyone have thoughts to share on this?

Its an interesting question and many answers are possible. Certainly mower pricing influences belt vs. Shaft drive. Most big box stores have belt and dealers have both so location choices are different also.

You'll likely find add-on product implements will carry different costs too. Why? Because a belt driven snowblower can attach to numerous models easily while shaft driven mount is more specific fits andless model choices . . so costs will be higher.

Is shaft drive more durable ? Probably yes. But is it faster to mount and unmount . . Mower models I have had would the last several years would say no. And remember . . even shaft drive units only use shaft drive from mower to deck . . and then belts are used for the deck to blades.

/ L & G Driveshaft or Belt Drive #3  
Hard to say which method of drive is better as both are very good and have their merits. I would point out that in the Deere models the ones that are shaft driven have the heavy duty k92 transaxles which I feel are very good.

/ L & G Driveshaft or Belt Drive #4  
Just my two cents...in L&G tractors.. the question of shaft or belt is more of a marketing tool than any distinct different in performance for most. What it really boils down to is ergonomic difference when working on the undercarriage. Now if you say you will use a L&G tractor with a tiller or other rear attachment very often then shaft would be better; for 90% of L&G units primarily see just lawn mowing (may be a little snow removal) without seeing anything which will tax the transmission drive.

/ L & G Driveshaft or Belt Drive
thank you for the replies, I'm surprised that the belt drive is considered as good or very close to as good as the driveshaft models. I was thinking that the belt drive would not be as dependable and would require much more service.

/ L & G Driveshaft or Belt Drive #6  
thank you for the replies, I'm surprised that the belt drive is considered as good or very close to as good as the driveshaft models. I was thinking that the belt drive would not be as dependable and would require much more service.

I think your logic might be sound in some issues but what you are missing is shaft drive means a difference in product price and where you can purchase. A home depot or lowes or farm and fleet or tractor supply are very tempting choices . . But they don't "do" shaft drive to my knowledge . . . they are all belt drive options with sale prices and discounting ads and financing.

Also all the deck blades are belt driven whether shaft drive or belt drive from motor to deck.

But especially true is that mounting and unmounting of a belt driven deck is much improved compared to 20 years ago and the new drive belrs have longer durability than 20 years ago.

/ L & G Driveshaft or Belt Drive #7  
Well, here's my spin on this subject, if you intend to roto-til, rear plow or just keep this tractor for a long time, then go with the drive shaft type. If you intend to keep it for a couple of years and then buy new again, go with the belt type. The shaft type garden tractor can do many jobs beside cut grass, but can cost upward of seven thou! Need to do some thinking there. The shaft drive tractors are a bit bigger than the belt type. Bob

/ L & G Driveshaft or Belt Drive #8  
If you are mechanical at all, consider a Gravely 8000 series. East coast seems to have many of these used for decent prices. They are built tough and you can get attachments for so many things.