Buying Advice How much do I need?

/ How much do I need? #1  

Schmoopette

Tractor
None Yet
Hi all. "Need" is a strong word, regardless I don't know how much tractor I need. This post is thorough to avoid the need for more information from me later.

We have recently bought 5 acres in northern Illinois. The property is 5 all mowed except a small area of trees. The yard is fairly nice around the house. Beyond the outbuilding, it's bumpy weedy and has some small inclines. We currently mow with an exmark zrt mower which does a fine job. We will likely not use the tractor for mowing.

The potential jobs we would like the tractor for are:
-planting trees
-creating a garden space for blueberries and raspberries
-creating a large garden space that will require ground leveling, as the same space will serve as a winter ice rink
-digging fence posts for said rink garden
-it will serve as long asphalt driveway maintenance (moving snow, but not via snowblower implement)
-keeping gravel drive to outbuilding maintained
-maybe making jumps for dirt bikes
-another pipe dream is making a duck pond if we get the permission to do so.

I realize some of these jobs will take a while. We do not need to rush anything but are fairly screwed if we get a major snowfall before we get the tractor. We have a walk behind snowblower only.

I tried winning some auctions and it's not working out. So maybe we are buying new. Closest dealer is Kubota. Owner seemed nice and professional. My uncle owns Kubota and recommends it. The two models the owner showed us were:

1) theBX25D-1 because it comes with the backhoe and loader. We could purchase the mower deck for half price($1k) if we wanted to have two of us mowing simultaneously. 0% for 60 months less $500 rebate. $18000.

2) the L2501 with loader only. Same financing less $1300. Or Less $1500, cash. $18150. The backhoe implement is $7000. So it's more like $25000 to make even on the implements.

I get these are two different animals. The power of the L2501 loader was impressive. I always think bigger is better and uncle said you buy little and trade in on big anyway as you find more uses for the tractor.

They retain value well. Uncle said he wouldn't buy used for this reason especially if you can't see the tractor in person. Said 1000 hours mowing flat versus lifting boulders is completely different wear and tear. Finding local used isn't easy because they go quickly from the dealer and craigslist doesn't have much. If I found one on auction used, I would need delivery and that savings could be eaten in freight. Local dealer delivers free.

What would you do if you were me? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

/ How much do I need? #2  
IMHO, I'd go for the L2501 (or similar) with the FEL + a 3rd remote for future FEL implements such as a 4in1 bucket or grapple. The Cat 1 3PH will handle what you'll need for the other tasks listed... with the exception of backhoe work. For that, I'd hire a backhoe to accomplish those tasks when required.

Unless, of course, you're one of those who 'needs' to have their own. :)

Listen to your Uncle. In fact, take him along with you when you're shopping/discussing/haggling for the tractor. It's your choice, but I'd check out similar makes by the other "colours"... see how they fit you and the other potential operators. Ask your neighbours opinion on which dealerships give the best support to their customers after a sale.

/ How much do I need? #3  
L2501 is a great machine and sounds like more than enough tractor for what you described. (For that matter the BX does too. If you don't really 'need' the backhoe you might look at a B23 or 2601 and maybe save some money. None would be a bad choice based on what you described.

/ How much do I need? #4  
BX series has 9" of ground clearance. You may find this limiting. Two speed transmission yields top speed of 6.5 mph. It will take awhile to move around five acres.

L2501 has full size tractor 13"+ ground clearance. Three Speed HST transmission yields top speed of 10.3 mph, not fast but faster than 6.5 mph.
Heavier, more stable tractor, larger, torquier engine.

KUBOTA: http://www.kubota.com/product/LSeries/L2501.aspx

Without specifying 2-WD vs 4-WD, transmission and tires, the L2501 price of $18,150 does not mean much. You definitely want Hydrostatic (HST) transmission. HST pairs perfectly with a roto-tiller.

Jobs for the tractor are:

-creating a garden space for blueberries and raspberries
-creating a large garden space that will require ground leveling, as the same space will serve as a winter ice rink
~~A PTO powered roto-tiller is the optimal small tractor implement for loosening ground. You can grade softened ground with a Ratchet Rake bucket attachment.

VIDEO: SMALL TRACTOR ROTOTILLER - YouTube

ratchet rake brush clearing - YouTube

-digging fence posts for said rink garden
-planting trees
~~You can rent an earth auger or have your kids, or neighbor kids, get some experience with a manual Post Hole Digger. Sixty holes?
~~For trees, you can soften the ground with a Three Point Hitch mounted Subsoiler, then shovel out the spoil with a spade.

VIDEO: SMALL TRACTOR SUBSOILER - YouTube

-it will serve as long asphalt driveway maintenance (moving snow, but not via snowblower implement)
~~FEL bucket

-keeping gravel drive to outbuilding maintained ((How long?))
~~You can grade with a Ratchet Rake bucket attachment.

-maybe making jumps for dirt bikes
~~FEL with a digging dedicated Tooth Bar. Piranha (brand) is favored on this forum.

VIDEO: piranha tooth bar - YouTube

-making a duck pond
~~FEL with a digging dedicated Tooth Bar. Piranha (brand) is favored on this forum.

None of the tasks you specified requires a $7,000 Backhoe. Spend the money on a heavier tractor.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR

Ratchet Rake is sold by the TBN store, button at top of this page, among other venders. Delivery by FedEx.

Attachments

• DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
   / How much do I need?
Ah can't take uncle. He's in Vermont. Can you tell me what a cat 1 3PH is? I'm a rookie and don't know all the abbreviations. We are impressed we got the meaning of FEL 😳

/ How much do I need? #6  
You NEED a really good dealer. You will have MANY more questions than what a 3pth is.
(Category 1 three point hitch)

/ How much do I need?
It's 4WD L2501 for 18150$. Should've said that. The FEL digging dedicated tooth bar by piranha. Is That something that goes on the loader that comes with the tractor or do we just need this specific type of loader? Ugh I'm such a rookie.

/ How much do I need? #9  
Can you tell me what a cat 1 3PH is? We are impressed we got the meaning of FEL ��

Three Point Hitch is the standardized equipment on the rear of tractors to which most implements (tools) are connected with large pins. Three Point Hitch makes the tractor and implement one unit. Most compact tractors have a Category I (Cat I) size hitch. Beginning at ~~40-horsepower~~ a larger, heavier Category II hitch is required.

There are larger Category III and IV Three Points too, but seldom discussed on tractorbynet.com, which is mostly about 16-horsepower to 60-horsepower compact tractors.

All Three Point Hitches include a center mounted Power Take Off (PTO)

It was Harry Ferguson's invention of the Three Point Hitch that made the small tractor practical. Ferguson's first licensee in the USA was Henry Ford, in 1938.

Last edited:
   / How much do I need? #10  
The FEL digging dedicated tooth bar by piranha. Is That something that goes on the loader that comes with the tractor or do we just need this specific type of loader? Ugh I'm such a rookie.

Only the 10% who were raised on farms with tractors were not rookies in the beginning.

Most attachments are generic, including the Piranha Tooth Bar, so they will fit Kubotas, John Deeres, Massey-Fergusons, et al.

PIRANHA VENDER: BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar